"Talk to most agents and they will say they are not paid enough." | Vital Football

"Talk to most agents and they will say they are not paid enough."

Of course they are paid enough, they are barely needed in the game.

The better players will get the better contracts regardless of the agents. Most of the time talent shines through.

Like pigs in a trough. I've often thought that there is room in the market for a non-profit agency. Staff get paid a decent salary, deals with clubs are on the same commercial basis as other agents but all profits get recycled back in to development of the game, supporting injured or out of contract players etc.

I really do not like the millions they take out of the game. I dislike even more that clubs pay for them. If a player uses an agent the money the agent gets should come from the player. Although that would probably result in players demanding more money to cover the cost. Agents give parasites a bad name.

Football managed for over a century without them and they would not be missed if they went away. A blight on the modern game

Football managed for over a century without them and they would not be missed if they went away. A blight on the modern game

Yes but there was no need for them until Jimmy Hill came along and started the 'scrap the £20 a week wage' thing. Money then started to rear its ugly head and things grew competitively and in terms of players wanting to protect themselves legally/contract-wise in terms of security for them and their families, as we all would, especially given the unpredictable nature and length of their careers. Its just spiralled out of control, like anything involving sport & money these days. In no way am I defending agents - I dislike them as much as anyone - but there's undoubtedly a lot worse out there in many places in sport these days.

Last edited:
Ban them they are parasites that drive up player wages to stupid levels. if a player cannot sort out his own pay and job then he should be unemployed . That’s what the rest of have to do when we move jobs and sort out our salary.

Ban them they are parasites that drive up player wages to stupid levels. if a player cannot sort out his own pay and job then he should be unemployed . That’s what the rest of have to do when we move jobs and sort out our salary.

Having just come out of three weeks of frustrating contract negotiations, for something which seemed quite simple, I can most definitely say that employment law advice is a must - especially when dealing with complex, non-standard contracts and significant sums of money.

However, I never felt I needed some pompadoured wormtongue standing at the side as well.

Last edited by a moderator: