Tales of 2 Halves | Vital Football

Tales of 2 Halves

Whiteknight

Vital Reserves Team
First half of the season, Leeds were in fine fettle. The second half was deplorable.
How did the 14 LEEDS players conjure to put up such poor performance in synchronicity against Wigan is hard to fathom.
Is there a mutiny?
Now we know LEEDS are punching above their weight, its therefore fair to expect LEEDS to be playing another season in the Championship.
In terms of momentum, LEEDS is not expected to be able to weather any of the playoff candidates either.
AR is all in at LEEDS and unless they get promoted, he is not unlikely to bankroll to the same tune next season.
So expect a fire sale with Philips, Clarke, Hernandez, Johansson, Roofe, Bamford sold and Bielsa leaving to balance the account.
That leaves LEEDS to contend themselves to the obscurity of the Championship.

Its not done and dusted, but the question is why are the players pulling in opposite direction, when they could plum for wage windfall when LEEDS get promoted. At this concluding stage, the moral to win is purely not evident.
Yet Bielsa is ever so eager to take the rap for these malingering delinquents.
Something just don't add up. This calls for an inquest.

Last edited:
I think it is all about bottle and on Friday we didn't have it. Everyone looked scared, no-one wanted to shoot.

The only thing I will say is fair play to Wigan. I'm not sure how they are struggling near the bottom. Even after the sending off, they played two up front and they threw everything in front of every ball.

Whilst their game management was frustrating for us, had the shoe been on the other foot, we would have been lauding it.

We actually had 36 shots on goal!!!

How could LEEDS have bottled it when they are almost 2 goals up and one man to the good at such a prime time in the match.
LEEDS are team ready to be anointed.
36 shots created, and only one converted.
Edmundson, Boguez could have converted them if Roofe and Bamford could not.
Sometimes LEEDS really just need a simple tap in rather than chesting it.

Last edited:
Aston Villa match could be crucial.
Under normal circumstances, it should just be a meaningless sparring match who by then would have sealed the playoff spot.
On current form, AV would rather drag LEEDS into the playoff than Sheff Utd.

We bottled it. I think Bielsa agreed in his post match interviews. The players let him and the fans down.

Aston Villa match could be crucial.
Under normal circumstances, it should just be a meaningless sparring match who by then would have sealed the playoff spot.
On current form, AV would rather drag LEEDS into the playoff than Sheff Utd.

Having watched the last few games of each I doubt AV fear either Sheff U or Leeds. I really hope we don't play them in the semis but then again I remember when we did not turn up at Wembley in 96 against them.

Credit to Leeds, they are still in with a shout for auto promotion and playoff.
Leeds are not disadvantaged, they are level with Sheff Utd with 3 games to go and can go on win promotion just by doing their own things.
Leeds in fact have the advantage of knowing exactly what to expect to in order to outdo Sheff Utd by playing later.
It's like playing the away leg of the Champion's League first and that is a huge advantage.
If anything, its down to the players to do their debt of honour by winning it for Leeds United, Marcelo Bielsa and most important of all its owner, AR.
AR in the stand should give the right boost for Leeds United to achieve promotion.

If Roofe and Bamford are feeling the jitters, just put Edmunson and Boguez on the bench. They cannot go wrong with 36 crosses in a match.

Last edited:
Lets hope you are right.
It was mainly 36 poor crosses on Friday. That can't happen again surely.
Sheff Utd do have a difficult game today. We do still have a chance.