Taking the Knee | Page 10 | Vital Football

Taking the Knee

Just noticed going to be all over big screens when England take the knee,Please don’t Boo our players,this is getting ridiculous now,maybe wrong but guessing only going to make matters worse,

I’ll be there on Sunday and won’t be booing my own team, even though I am fully against taking the knee. I mentioned in another post that, if they do it, I’d love to see the crowd stand up abs chant “stand up for the England” both as a show of defiance to the politically and BLM linked gesture and in support of the team. For me, that’s a good compromise and beats booing and also showing agreement with something you’re against.

Watched the start of Hungary v Ireland match,
Ireland took the knee and the crowd were so loud booing,easily worst I’ve heard it went on long time,
Hungary every player stood firm and every player actually pointed to badge on their shirt that said RESPECT,
That to me is the way forward.

Watched the start of Hungary v Ireland match,
Ireland took the knee and the crowd were so loud booing,easily worst I’ve heard it went on long time,
Hungary every player stood firm and every player actually pointed to badge on their shirt that said RESPECT,
That to me is the way forward.

Definitely Ian , any other 'way forward' would lead to even more division. There are of course people trying to push this further. Fans have quite rightly rejected what should only be described as race-baiting. Jerry's 'divide and conquer'
The badge stating the simple message 'RESPECT' is a welcome way back to common sense.

Sorry but I spotted that last word "foward". Very clever slipping in an old Leninist slogan but I won't have it, I'm outraged. Hungary, the way to go, they know what respect means.

While we’re off the topic -the good referee is when you don’t notice him. Classic non-action example -yes?
Except there are occasions in matches where the referee needs to step in .Some bottle it that is often when the match definitely takes a turn for the worst. It is about balance. The best referees are only seen when nessersary.

So, in the Denmark game, we were given the ultimate life lesson about how fragile life is and that, in the end, nothing is really that important to get stressed out about.
Fast forward less than 24 hours and idiots at Wembley still decided to boo the taking of the knee 🙄
I wonder if those same people cheered and sung the name of our talented young black striker when he scored? You know, the same lad that's just been awarded an MBE for his work to promote racial diversity and equality?
Society seems a bit f*cked at the moment.

So, in the Denmark game, we were given the ultimate life lesson about how fragile life is and that, in the end, nothing is really that important to get stressed out about.
Fast forward less than 24 hours and idiots at Wembley still decided to boo the taking of the knee 🙄
I wonder if those same people cheered and sung the name of our talented young black striker when he scored? You know, the same lad that's just been awarded an MBE for his work to promote racial diversity and equality?
Society seems a bit f*cked at the moment.

Easy to use Eriksen's tragedy to take sides, but the pig headed multi millionaires on the pitch still have no more right to make their gesture, which they still insisted on doing, than those that were booing (having paid to watch football ffs), have the right to make theirs by booing.

Inappropriate gesture at inappropriate time aimed at a majority that already support their racial equality cause and a minority that will pay no attention whatsoever. And it has been going on SO long it must be beyond boring for the fans.

The main reason why Society is f*cked is due to economic inequality, far more than racial inequality, and I don't see the fact that a multi millionaire striker finally scored a goal at a major championship via a shot straight at the keeper, taking two heavy deflections before hitting the middle of the net, changes much.

I would suspect a campaign for more economic equality, redistributing from the wealthy, like footballers for instance, might get less support from the likes of Sterling.

Last edited:
Economic inequality has nothing to do with people spitting bile and hatred at each other just because they disagree with their point of view or are of a different skin colour.
As for not being allowed to make a gesture of support. How much/little do you have to earn before you can do that?
Surely you can see the irony in booing the knee but cheering and hero worshipping a black goalscorer?
I disagree with taking the knee but would never boo it just because it doesn't fit with my opinion. I would cheer Sterling scoring no matter what he earns or how the ball got into the net because he's an English man scoring a goal for England. Nothing more, nothing less.
I don't see how I have made Erikson's plight an excuse for anything. I merely pointed out that it shows how unimportant all the other stuff is.

Raheem Sterling is a very talented footballer with pace to burn but his job is scoring and creating goals. He scored one today but should I criticise him for not winning enough headers in his own penalty box? Does doing his job well sometimes give him any greater say in society than you or me?

Everyone has their own talents, strengths, opinions and, IMO, rights.

The right to take the knee is valid, but no more valid than a peaceful show of disapproval when it happens. It is not the same as abuse aimed at an individual, and yet there has been talk of banning or ejecting fans for it. Wouldn't that be akin to apartheid? Oh, the irony.

Having read about how taking the knee started, it seems that Colin Kaepernick only did it in a few preseason games, so HE obviously knew when it had run its course and did not try and dilute it by over exposure bordering upon tedium.

Last edited:
Yet Gareth Southgate tells us that taking the knee isn't political. I'm confused 🤔

I seriously don't think he knows what constitutes politics.

At the very least, he does not seem willing to acknowledge that it has f-all to do with the act of playing football. There are so many other ways to campaign - boards like this, other social media, programme making, books, petitions to Downing Street, education at schools/colleges - all places that you expect to discuss politics and equality.

Just leave it out of the few enjoyable distractions to the ordinary person's stressful life - sport, pastimes, holidays, light entertainment, ffs.

Most people are decent and fair. It is an insult to keep making a gesture that can be construed to suggest otherwise. That is why I understand the resentment, even though the football mafia, while arrogantly claiming the moral high ground, never will.

Last edited:
A few months ago and Rashford is hailed a hero for his campaigning for free school meals. If it’s a campaign about racism and all of a sudden it’s “rich footballers blah blah”

But that's just it, Rashford is a rich footballer and uses his fame on social media, etc, to campaign for free school meals. His high profile gets the worthy campaign noticed and makes him a modern day saint, whether he actually puts his own hand in his pocket or not.

Someone in the same profession may be a journeyman player at Notts County who also had a poor upbringing, also wants free school meals, may deliver a petition to Downing Street, etc, and may actually be willing to donate some of his own money and help deliver the meals instead of just attending press calls . Do you think Johnson would mention him on the steps of Downing Street and recommend him for the honours list?

With high profile and riches comes great privilege, but not the right to force a political agenda down the throats of a captive audience who just want to witness you do your job. After all, when you are retired, more likely than not nobody will be interested.

Economic inequality has nothing to do with people spitting bile and hatred at each other just because they disagree with their point of view or are of a different skin colour.
As for not being allowed to make a gesture of support. How much/little do you have to earn before you can do that?
Surely you can see the irony in booing the knee but cheering and hero worshipping a black goalscorer?
I disagree with taking the knee but would never boo it just because it doesn't fit with my opinion. I would cheer Sterling scoring no matter what he earns or how the ball got into the net because he's an English man scoring a goal for England. Nothing more, nothing less.
I don't see how I have made Erikson's plight an excuse for anything. I merely pointed out that it shows how unimportant all the other stuff is.
Well said Nobby.
I am anti knee after the first time. Ditto the NHS clapping (which I got slaughtered for iirc).

Money has nothing to do with it.

Pleased for Sterling

I disagree with pointless gesturing like taking the knee repeatedly. Booing it is a disgrace. Blatant racism and vile politics. By way of analogy I am a Republican but no way would I boo the national anthem.

Is the campaign "stop being racist"? It's really unclear, it's not supposed to be political, but sounds like it is

Those with a particular agenda are certainly doing their very best to attempt to muddy the waters and make it seem unclear, I'll give you that.

But it shouldn't be unclear, it's not too complicated. I'll try, with the aid of a couple of links, to help you understand.

Kneeling down has long been a symbolic and silent gesture of solidarity and resistance. It is non-violent and non-confrontational. In the US it can be traced back to the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

The fact that it is a silent protest is important. A few years ago an American Football player called Colin Kaepernick sat down during the playing of the national anthem before a game. He said:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

At the beginning of another game he knelt down during the national anthem. Some other US sports players started doing the same to show solidarity.

More about all this here:
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/why...at-taking-the-knee/10iqy03uyp5y01uh4x89dnaicz

Then, last year there was the death of George Floyd. You know about that, and about the fact that the name of a political organisation, 'Black Lives Matter', became a phrase that is synonymous with anti-racism and which encapsulated the mood of so many people. Most of the people who have united behind that phrase or slogan are not even aware of the existence of the BLM political organisation!

This article on the BBC should offer you some further assistance. Tyrone Mings played well today, I thought, read his comments and listen to what he says:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53337780

Hope it's all a little clearer now.

But that's just it, Rashford is a rich footballer and uses his fame on social media, etc, to campaign for free school meals. His high profile gets the worthy campaign noticed and makes him a modern day saint, whether he actually puts his own hand in his pocket or not.

Someone in the same profession may be a journeyman player at Notts County who also had a poor upbringing, also wants free school meals, may deliver a petition to Downing Street, etc, and may actually be willing to donate some of his own money and help deliver the meals instead of just attending press calls . Do you think Johnson would mention him on the steps of Downing Street and recommend him for the honours list?

With high profile and riches comes great privilege, but not the right to force a political agenda down the throats of a captive audience who just want to witness you do your job. After all, when you are retired, more likely than not nobody will be interested.

Marcus Rashford is a working-class hero, and that's something to be.

He's my favourite English footballer (non Gills, I'm talking!) for a long time. I want him to score the winner in the final. He's just brilliant. He received far worse criticism than you've offered, GBN, and he gets foul abuse too. But he just takes it all in his stride and carries on being a fucking hero. I love him!

Hope it's all a little clearer now.

Not really. You said it was simple, then typed seven more paragraphs and included two links to explain.

I know where it came from, a protest 4 years ago in the NFL against the US anthem, and against the killing a year ago in the US of a black man by a white policeman. I was asking why the national football team in England were doing it now?

Since a leading BLM activist was shot recently by black men in the UK, three teenagers have been stabbed to death in the UK, all from the 5% of the population that is black. Surely if footballers want to do something to help society they can do something more concrete than this empty and confused symbolic kneeling?