Takeover | Page 57 | Vital Football

Takeover

never done nothing
That double negative means that he has done something then.:yes:
How about we give the bloke a chance to prove himself before we write him off. You have no idea what he has achieved, what he can achieve or what he is being asked to achieve. By your logic no-one would ever be given a chance to prove themselves at a higher level or in a different job

That double negative means that he has done something then.:yes:
How about we give the bloke a chance to prove himself before we write him off. You have no idea what he has achieved, what he can achieve or what he is being asked to achieve. By your logic no-one would ever be given a chance to prove themselves at a higher level or in a different job
We have one good record At this club

We've no idea about Brass other than he's a crap manager based on his record, if we were hiring him to be our boss i'd be deeply concerned but we are hiring him to be Director of Football - maybe he'll be well suited to that - we will have to see.

Regarding Cook giving jobs for the boys - let's think about that critically - if Cook brings in someone who he doesn't believe is up to the job but is his friend it will very likely make Cooks job harder and lead to him failing and getting sacked. Cook isn't stupid enough to recomend someone he doesn't feel will do a good job for him - maybe his judgement will be wrong but i don't believe for one second Cook is going to bring in someone he doesn't rate.

Also remember modern day directors of football do effectively half of the job a manager would once have done all themselves so Cook would need to have someone he trusts implicitly. For this role if we brought in someone maybe with a richer pedegree in football but who was a stranger to Cook it could lead to problems if they don't get on.

I'm underwhelmed by Brass, as the tiny bit we know about him isn't very impressive, but maybe he has a wealth of talent just not as a first team manager. So we've just got to let Cook pick his man and hope he's judged him correctly. It's hardly a appointment to get the pulses racing but it may be the right one - so we've got to judge him on what he does.

I’d be lying if I said I was excited about the appointment. His CV is to put it bluntly...crap. However as Kenny said we should give him a chance. Plus to look it logically, it may be a job for the boys but it keeps Paul Cook happy and again that could be the difference should a bigger team ever come sniffing after him. I just hope it doesn’t turn out and end the same way it did when Uwe Rosler started hiring all his ex Man City teammates in key jobs which they turned out to be useless in.

If Cook has been involved in this appointment other than a rubber stamp it is strange and adds to the growing band of backroom boys. My understanding of a DoF role is that they are able to effectively challenge the managers targets ahead of aquiring them (which is why so many of these appointments dont work out) whilst also taking some of the admin load off. If Brass is not this then he should be a scout not a DoF - guess time will tell and he turns out a latics Jewell not a Joyce !
Think it would be a good first move for the new owners to share an organisation chart with roles and names on it so we can understand how all these names will fit together going forwards

How many ‘big name’ Director’s of Football are there? Never mind successful ‘big name’ figures.

So many of the most successful guys go under the radar. Two with Latics connections come instantly to mind. Paul Winstanley who was here under Jewell and is now at Brighton. And Paul Mitchell who did wonders at Southampton.

How many ‘big name’ Director’s of Football are there? Never mind successful ‘big name’ figures.

So many of the most successful guys go under the radar. Two with Latics connections come instantly to mind. Paul Winstanley who was here under Jewell and is now at Brighton. And Paul Mitchell who did wonders at Southampton.

I'd love Mitchell after the wonders he worked at Southampton but i believe he left Spurs to try and become a manager in his own right so think it would be hard to get him in even if Cook wanted him.

If Cook has been involved in this appointment other than a rubber stamp it is strange and adds to the growing band of backroom boys. My understanding of a DoF role is that they are able to effectively challenge the managers targets ahead of aquiring them (which is why so many of these appointments dont work out) whilst also taking some of the admin load off. If Brass is not this then he should be a scout not a DoF - guess time will tell and he turns out a latics Jewell not a Joyce !
Think it would be a good first move for the new owners to share an organisation chart with roles and names on it so we can understand how all these names will fit together going forwards

Director of Football is whatever we want it to be. Some DOF do all the recruitment and the manager happily leaves them to it as they focus on coaching the side, some do it collaborativly and work in close tandem, some act as the managers go to guy and do everything he simply needs doing but hasn't got time to. It is a good support for the manager as long as both parties agree the chain of command and are happy to collaborate. From our own experience Bruce loved John Benson who was finding him some gems but Roberto and Benson couldn't get on and if i recall there was apparrently a big disagreement over the Boselli deal which Roberto unfortunately won in that instance - it all depends on having a good relationship.

The problems only come when the DOF and manager don't respect each other and end up in a power struggle. Which is why Paul Cook choosing someone is probably not a bad thing in theory as if he brought in someone he couldn't get on with it would cause no end of issues.

Apologies in advance, as it's probably somewhere on this thread but when exactly will the takeover be completed? I have some recollection from an earlier post that it would be voted voted on twenty or so days after being announced to the shareholders. Is that the case?

Apologies in advance, as it's probably somewhere on this thread but when exactly will the takeover be completed? I have some recollection from an earlier post that it would be voted voted on twenty or so days after being announced to the shareholders. Is that the case?

There is meant to be a meeting next week for the share holders to take the offical vote to complete the deal. As the shares are largely held by a few people so it is pretty much a legal formality that it will be voted through and then after that it's been suggested it will be a couple of weeks hand over and then it's all IECs before the end of November - in theory.

I think after the vote next friday things will happen fast ,whelan likes a bit of attention so would imagine he will like to say his big goodbye in front of a decent home crowd
Probably games like leeds and blackburn are those games after next weeks vote ?

I think after the vote next friday things will happen fast ,whelan likes a bit of attention so would imagine he will like to say his big goodbye in front of a decent home crowd
Probably games like leeds and blackburn are those games after next weeks vote ?

I think the Blackburn game would be best all round, especially after the abuse Whelan gave Leeds a few years back when he last bid farewell to the fans.

Just noticed this ... not sure sure where to plonk it.
New Director of Football ?
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/25/por-wigan-to-bring-in-brass-
in-new-role/

"Former Burnley defender Brass is set to take up the role with the 43-year-old boasting experience of having worked on the coaching side of things as well head of football operations during his time at Bury. "

Full on sarcastic mode .... Bury football operations a shining example in the football leagues ?