Take us home! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Take us home!

I've just finished watching it and have some thoughts:

1) What's with the weird blue camera filter that is applied to all the match highlights?
2) Through a combination of clever editing, narration and biased after the fact "commentary", the documentary does a good job of making it look like the whole world was against Leeds and was unjustly preventing their rightful promotion, rather than accepting that two teams were better than them over the course of the season (plus Derby in the play-offs...)
3) The way that everyone constantly justifies all of their blatant cheating over the season was embarrassing. Especially Patrick Bamford, who compared his play-acting to get a fellow professional sent off with attempted murder!

Overall, it is rather slow and often rewrites history, but they ended it in a much more satisfying way than Game of Thrones managed. If they were to do a similar ending again this season then I would watch another series...

So of all the docuseries I can remember

Sheffield United - promoted
Manchester City - title winners
Sunderland- relegated
Leeds United - ?‍♂️

The Class of '92 documentaries are all worth watching and most of them end in promotions as well.

Yep forgot about them love those too

I thought the commentaries were taken from radio Leeds that’s what they sounded like anyway

I thought the commentaries were taken from radio Leeds that’s what they sounded like anyway

It was definitely after the fact commentary, there was too much prescience involved for it to have been done live. For instance, during the infamous Villa game, he said that Leeds were within their rights to carry on playing just before they scored and then called the Villa equaliser controversial. In reality, Villa had just kicked the ball out for a Leeds injury a few minutes before so everyone at the time would have expected the same in reply. It was also the Leeds goal that was controversial, everyone in the world (except Pontus Jansson and the Leeds fans) thought that allowing Villa to score was the correct thing to do. I doubt that a BBC radio commentator would have gone against those things; Radio Sheffield definitely wouldn't have. Another example is the play-off defeat to Derby. When Berardi was sent off the commentary in the doc was "there are just moments left", but he was actually sent off in the 78th minute. It had to have been done afterwards to increase the drama in the episode.