Tactics in the PL this season.. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tactics in the PL this season..

1990 WC Semi-final team

Shilton
Parker, Walker, Wright, Butcher, Pearce
Gascoigne, Platt
Waddle, Lineker, Beardsley

From what I remember, almost every team was playing that "3 at the back" system in the 1990 World Cup.

Martin O'Neill's Leicester were also using it domestically a decade later when they got promoted and won the League Cup. I always remember that trio of Lennon, Izzet and Savage and guys like Guppy wide.

People also forget that Poch put Dier on the right of Toby and played a fair bit of 3 at the back in 2016/17. He undid Conte's 3-4-3 by playing it in our 2-0 win at home in January and used it a lot in the second half of the season. That was when we were forming a plan B after the 4-2-3-1 success. It seemed to work as we smashed Leicester and Hull in the last 2 games of the season from what I remember.

Clearly you have to have the personnel and we absolutely do. Saying that, we have the personnel for any system. In many ways it might help to utilise Toby's brain and cover his pace issue. He can sit in the centre. It might help get Davies and Reguilon in the same side and get the best out of Dier on the right as well, supporting Doherty.

1990 WC Semi-final team

Shilton
Parker, Walker, Wright, Butcher, Pearce
Gascoigne, Platt
Waddle, Lineker, Beardsley

From what I remember, almost every team was playing that "3 at the back" system in the 1990 World Cup.

Martin O'Neill's Leicester were also using it domestically a decade later when they got promoted and won the League Cup. I always remember that trio of Lennon, Izzet and Savage and guys like Guppy wide.

People also forget that Poch put Dier on the right of Toby and played a fair bit of 3 at the back in 2016/17. He undid Conte's 3-4-3 by playing it in our 2-0 win at home in January and used it a lot in the second half of the season. That was when we were forming a plan B after the 4-2-3-1 success. It seemed to work as we smashed Leicester and Hull in the last 2 games of the season from what I remember.

Clearly you have to have the personnel and we absolutely do. Saying that, we have the personnel for any system. In many ways it might help to utilise Toby's brain and cover his pace issue. He can sit in the centre. It might help get Davies and Reguilon in the same side and get the best out of Dier on the right as well, supporting Doherty.
I'm not so sure about 3 at the back with the current group of players. We'd be adding a player to our weakest area whilst sacrificing a player from the area we're strongest.

If we went with Dier, Toby and Davies we'd be very short of pace. And I don't think Davies has done anything near enough to be considered a starter CB yet.

Sanchez always seemed to struggle in a back 3 even when he had Toby and Jan alongside him.

Then if we wanted a midfield trio of Lo Celso, Ndombele and PEH we'd have to sacrifice one of the forwards leaving Kane and Son on their own.

The overlapping full backs may compensate somewhat and I guess Lo Celso would play further forward but there would be no space for Bale as a starter.

I must admit I don't remember Poch playing 3 at the back too much in the 16/17 season and I didn't think it was that successful when he did play it, but that's obviously my memory.

I'm not so sure about 3 at the back with the current group of players. We'd be adding a player to our weakest area whilst sacrificing a player from the area we're strongest.

If we went with Dier, Toby and Davies we'd be very short of pace. And I don't think Davies has done anything near enough to be considered a starter CB yet.

Sanchez always seemed to struggle in a back 3 even when he had Toby and Jan alongside him.

Then if we wanted a midfield trio of Lo Celso, Ndombele and PEH we'd have to sacrifice one of the forwards leaving Kane and Son on their own.

The overlapping full backs may compensate somewhat and I guess Lo Celso would play further forward but there would be no space for Bale as a starter.

I must admit I don't remember Poch playing 3 at the back too much in the 16/17 season and I didn't think it was that successful when he did play it, but that's obviously my memory.

You're probably right about Davies but I wouldn't be concerned about Bale not starting. I think him, Moura, Lamela and Bergwijn have serious work to do to justify a starting berth from what I've seen this season. Bale might get there though once he gets his sharpness back.

I'd still love to see Dele, Gio and Ndombele on the pitch at the same time with Hojberg holding. Won't happen under Jose though.

You're probably right about Davies but I wouldn't be concerned about Bale not starting. I think him, Moura, Lamela and Bergwijn have serious work to do to justify a starting berth from what I've seen this season. Bale might get there though once he gets his sharpness back.

I'd still love to see Dele, Gio and Ndombele on the pitch at the same time with Hojberg holding. Won't happen under Jose though.
Yep, Kane, Son, Gio, Ndombele and Dele would be a formidable combination.