Tactical fouling - the myth endures | Vital Football

Tactical fouling - the myth endures

Stats can't determine when a foul is tactical or not, each foul has to be taken on it's individual merit. That analysis is seriously flawed.

That game against the Hammers, I thought Rodri got away with a couple but that aside the rest were just regular fouls in attempts to win possession.

In the Spurs game Sterling got one for a tactical foul that there's not much cause for complaint but a couple of minutes later Sanchez scythed down DeBruyne as he was baring down on goal, free given but no card in what was the most obvious example of a tactical foul you're likely to see.

You are absolutely right - this piece of pseudo-analysis is hopelessly flawed.

There were two prime examples in the Arsenal match which passed without comment. In fact one was described by Martin Keown as allowing Arsenal to "get back into shape" ffs. The phrase 'tactical foul' was never mentioned.

But here we are, two games into the season and not only has the message been planted, yet again, that City are cheating. All that will be remembered will be the association of City with the 'tactic' and the final paragraph based on the smallest of samples.

I'm most disappointed in Pellegrini. I don’t get what his motivation was for saying what he said about our alleged tactical fouling.

There is Arteta telling players to 'make a foul' - he's not going to say that if he thinks PG will tell him off for it so I imagine Pep is fine with the niggly fouls to break up play and let us regain our 'shape'.

But as Pate Nevin says it's something players have always done. Perhaps refs ought to start booking players for it or letting play go on etc if it really is a big problem. I imagine the pressure we put opponents under adds to the chance a foul will be committed too.

imagine the pressure we put opponents under adds to the chance a foul will be committed too.

That is the main cause of our high number of fouls, tenacity, that's why Liverpool have such a high rate too relative to possession.

Yes we do tactical foul, just as everybody does and we're no more guilty than anyone else.

Of the 13 fouls we commited against West Ham I'd say 3 were tactical, 2 from Rodri which he got away with and one from Sterling which he got booked for, the rest were fouls from legitimate attempts to win the ball.

Just another thing rivals of Manchester City want to bring to the attention of the Referees as though we are the only ones doing this.

It would not surprise me now if we ended the season with most yellows and suffer suspensions because of it.

I hope Referees realise that this is a cunning plan

On MotD Lineker & co were saying that Laporte’s injury might have been avoided had Rodri fouled Webster on the halfway line before Laporte had to intervene.....

“Rodri should be bringing down Webster.....he can make a foul there”

FFS. From complaining that City are the worst team the world at this ‘despicable tactic’ now we have pundits effectively advocating it as the right thing to do.

:arrghh:

Make you mind up guys. Either accept this as part of the game, something which all players can be guilty of or highlight it when such fouls are committed by Eriksen, Matic or Henderson.

On MotD Lineker & co were saying that Laporte’s injury might have been avoided had Rodri fouled Webster on the halfway line before Laporte had to intervene.....

“Rodri should be bringing down Webster.....he can make a foul there”

FFS. From complaining that City are the worst team the world at this ‘despicable tactic’ now we have pundits effectively advocating it as the right thing to do.

:arrghh:

Make you mind up guys. Either accept this as part of the game, something which all players can be guilty of or highlight it when such fouls are committed by Eriksen, Matic or Henderson.
To be fair, I have heard our announcers using tactical foul in games other than ours. It will die down, when they figure out no one cares, and find something else to complain about.