Swansea 1 United 0 - report | Vital Football

Swansea 1 United 0 - report

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
Swansea became the first side to do a league double over United after winning at the Liberty Stadium. It was a game United controlled for the first 45 minutes and missed two golden chances but the home side stepped it up and thanks to a goal from Olly McBurnie who scored for the second time against the Blades this season. The Blades played really well first half but the second half they did not turn up at all.

United missed a chance to go back to 2nd and move within a point of leaders Leeds before a big showdown with fellow contenders Norwich at Carrow Road next week.

Manager Chris Wilder named an unchanged side as United sought to build on four straight league wins and had loanees Dowell and Madine on the bench.

United started well and won a corner and Van Der Hoorn had to receive treatment after clashing heads with Egan before being deemed fit enough to continue. United saw a lot of the early ball with Norwood and Duffy influential. One decent move saw the ball fall for Baldock but he fired well over the bar.

Fleck then had a low shot easily saved by the keeper. Duffy and then Stevens linked well before United won another corner. Egan won the header but Sharp was pulled up for a foul.

For the second time a Swansea defender went down and this time Rodon could not continue and former Blades loanee Carter Vickers came on making it three ex United players on the pitch with Naughton and another former loan player in Dyer.

Basham flicked the ball forward and Baldock fired a crossfield ball towards Stevens who played it into Duffy. The ball was returned to Stevens whose pullback fell to Sharp who stabbed goalwards but the Swansea keeper Mulder saved with his feet. It was a really good chance and one you would expect Sharp to score.

Swansea were struggling to have much off the ball let alone penetrate in the Blades third and it was one-way traffic in terms of possession and territory. Another neat move saw Stevens and Fleck link up but the final ball went awry.

A lovely move that saw United play it out from the back with several patient passes saw it find Duffy who sent over a lovely cross and McGoldrick who had come back onside headed wide under little pressure. It was a really good chance.

Norwood was booked for leaving his leg in making it 7 for the season and this broke up some of the momentum for the visitors.

Swansea had a nice spell of play and Celina and Fer were at the heart of things probing to try and create space. Dyer and Routledge were playing inside and making play narrow trying to cause an extra man due to United’s formation. A few decent moves from the home team saw United forced back but Henderson had still not had a save to make.

A half-hearted appeal for a penalty came when a late free kick after a foul and a booking from Stevens for a pull back on Naughton. The delivery saw a mismatch with Baldock on Fer but the contact was very minimal and the referee rightly waved things away.

James came on for the injured Routledge at the break and Swansea began the second half in the ascendancy and were putting United under more pressure. They won a free kick for a foul on Fer by Fleck but Grimes dipping free kick went over the bar. Baldock was then booked for persistent fouling and his fourth offence saw the referee dip into his pocket.

Another neat move from Swansea saw the ball played patiently around and Basham could not clear properly. The final ball that came in went over everyone and United cleared. The home side were certainly now the better side and were playing further up the field. A rare break out saw United win a corner but this was wasted by a poor Fleck cross.

United were now sitting back more and when they had it were giving it away. Swansea played it across and a cross from Dyer looked like a real good chance for McBurnie. United did not heed the warning and moments later the opening goal came. Dyer played a one two with the centre back Van Der Hoorn and the cross came over and McBURNIE beat Basham to it to score from close range. The goal had been coming as United had simply not started at all in the second half.

Dowell came on for Duffy as United tried to find some attacking intent in a game they were now being dominated in after it was the other way in the first half.

Soon after it could have been 2. A breakaway saw Dyer in but his shot was blocked brilliantly by O’Connell. United were getting pulled all over the place and looked a ragged outfit now after being in such control. The pace and running of James and Dyer were causing United real problems and the other way United were not creating anything of note.

O’Connell was the next in the book for fouling McBurnie and the defender was not happy with Norwood for giving the ball away earlier in the build-up.

Fleck came off for Madine as United tried to find anything they could to inject some life into an insipid 2nd half showing.

A great chance for Swans to kill the game came when Celina found James who came inside and the ball was worked to Celina whose first shot was saved and then James again had an effort that was brilliantly saved from Henderson who dived full length. Naughton then came inside and nearly made it two. Swansea had more energy and were surging past a leaden footed United side who looked like they had no life in them at all.

O’Connell made another great block from another overload for Swansea as time after time they had men over on the break. United struggled to keep the ball and were just did not have the energy of the home side.

Clarke came on with ten minutes to go but the Blades were not really creating and Swansea looked the more likely to score again. United did win a corner after Grimes headed behind under no pressure but the ball was cleared and there was a stoppage for an injury as the game entered four minutes stoppage time.

At the end Madine found Dowell who switched the ball to Sharp and his cross was blocked behind from Van Der Hoorn with appeals for a penalty but this would have been harsh due to the distance between Sharp and the defender. The corner came to nothing with Henderson up and the ball came to nothing.

United – We have had a great run and it came to an end and deservedly after an appalling 2nd half performance really – there is no other way of dressing it up. That may seem harsh and first time we have played so poorly for a while but we were rotten after half time. That is not having a meltdown or completely turning on the team. It is just as I saw it. We were really decent first half but 2nd half we were crap. Just calling it as I see it on the day.

We were 2nd best individually and collectively and at times as they did at the Lane they went through us like butter. They have our number and seem to know how to beat us. It is odd though as first half we played well and should have been leading but 2nd half we looked nowhere near a top 6 side let alone top 2. We looked slow, sluggish, gave it away. We have seen this too often at times this season. We put so much in the first half that if we don’t take our chances then teams come onto us, press us higher up and do what Swansea do.

Wilder is right. We score first half and it is a different game. After they scored it is always hard as they have pace on the break but not sure we were pressing and they were breaking on us as Wilder saw it. They actually dominated even after scoring. It was only pumping high balls forward the last 10 minutes we had a few corners and bits and pieces but we did not have one shot or effort anywhere near the goal 2nd half. Not one. That was Swansea in the first half and that goal never saw any action of note at all for the travelling United fans.

They caused us issues at the Lane with pace and it was the case again. They pressed us, stepped up the intensity and we did not have an answer at all. It was worrying how it changed so much. From us being in complete control up to 30 minutes, they had a spell for the last 15 minutes and then 2nd half they dominated in all ways. We were really poor 2nd half. It reminded me of Derby and a few others where we looked like we lacked belief completely. Weird for the confidence to drain so much after we had been on such a good run but we looked a team that had lot 4 on the bounce much of that 2nd half.

I will get called for saying it but today kind of showed why I do not think top two will happen. I get called for saying I’d take 6th now. I said it last week and say it again. That may be very negative but I when so many go sup par we do not have someone who can take the bull by the horns and we lacked any leadership second half. Only Jack showed any passion. The players just sort of went. It was odd. The players seem to lack belief to go on and really punish teams when on top. Today was reminiscent of many games where we do well, cannot score and then teams pressure the key men, turn us over on the counter. We kind of fell apart in terms of everything. We could not pass, could not tackle and could not do anything. How we went from so decent-good to so bad was startling. Hope it is a just a bad day but it has happened quite a bit. Still must happen to other teams too as we are above 20 of the them in the league! We have done superb and one bad 45 minutes does not mean we are a poor side but we do need to do much better in a crucial game next week.

We did not have one good chance second half at all and never even looked like scoring. We stopped passing and stopped moving on and off the ball. We felt like we would carry on dominating and they totally took over. Really flat and a big chance missed to keep up with the top two.

Bookings may be an issue also; we picked up another today – Norwood and Stevens both have 7 and a ban (2 games is it for 10 could be a worry for 2 key men). We had numerous other cards. Other teams do not seem to pick them up. Today we deserved them all though and were quite late I felt.

Swansea – Not in the game first half but dominant second half. It repeated much of the game at Bramall Lane. Ridiculous they are so low with the attacking players and talent they have. Bit embarrassing really. Maybe the likes of Routledge, Fer, Celina, Dyer only turn up when they play us but really, they should be doing much better. They have some pace and also some dribbling ability who can unlock doors. They could have scored more goals if it was not for Henderson and O’Connell as they had lots of chances.

They played that ball through the middle that dissected the United midfield and this caused us problems. However, it was the pace down the flanks 2nd half that caused us problems and they did us on the overload a lot. The midfield completely dictated things in the second half and they had all the ball and carved us open quite a few times. We did not get our foot in and slow it down and they seemed to have an extra man or two in the second half. Sharp and McGoldrick saw none of the ball, Duffy was not in it and the midfield two and wing backs were losing every battle individually.

Opponent man of the match – They had the best two players on the pitch in Fer and Celina but Leroy Fer was the man of the match. We do talk about Norwood and Fleck etc but he was the best midfielder on the field. Duffy played well for the opening spell but he controlled things with his passing and vision and showed that he should be playing higher up. Dyer was very good 2nd half too and did some really good things. James also made a difference with his pace and running too.

Weak link – Not sure anyone was awful. We did not test the defence at all. Carter Vickers has shown to be error strewn but we never tested him at all. They improved after Routledge went off who held onto the ball too much and James was more direct and moved it quicker.

Henderson 7/10 – Nothing to do at all first half. Did not have a shot to save at all for the first hour. They scored with the first real shot and then after that they had numerous chances and he saved a few including one excellent save. They could have sealed the game

Baldock 6/10 – First half he was decent on the ball and got forward and was on the front foot. He was one of our main threats and got into some really good positions. 2nd half was totally different and they got round him and forced him back. Made some poor tackles and could have been booked long before he was. I still felt he used the ball better than most and kept going. He was one of the few whose energy levels did not drop. On the goal he got done quite easily by Dyer but not helped by other players.

Stevens 6/10 – First half very involved in everything well we did and got up and down. Another who makes poor challenges at times and commits himself a bit too much often when he does not need to. Got booked and that meant he had to take it easy. Made some poor passes 2nd half as everyone else did. He was stretched out and forced back and both wing backs did not affect the game positively at all really.

Egan 7/10 – Steady enough but first half he was dominant but 2nd half he was turned round and he and the other struggled with the pace and running. We were badly exposed and they were given no protection as the midfield did not get a tackle in or run back to support. Not sure he made any big errors but it was hard as at times they had so many extra men and were lining up to score at times.

O’Connell 8/10 – Our best player by a mile. Made countless blocks, vital tackles and covers. He alone saved at least one or two certain goals. I felt he had little protection from the midfield. He used the ball well and was able to cover for others who were making mistakes.

Basham 6.5/10 – Did ok defensively and first half he was good sending us forward and using the ball quickly. 2nd half he was not as involved and forced back. Some of his attacking attempts 2nd half were a bit embarrassing as he stumbled around or aid on the floor and wriggled around! His crossing was also poor.

Fleck 5/10 - Sloppy from start to finish. Had a couple of drives and neat passes but gave it away a lot and was slow to react to things. Even in the first half he got caught out twice also. On the goal he was so slow to react to the ball that came to Van Der Hoorn and never closed it down. He was taken off as he was not in the game at all. I think he has been decidedly average this season. We do not see the driving runs and creativity that we have seen before with few assists to chances at all.

Norwood 5.5/10 – Will get called for this but thought he was very ill disciplined today. He was decent first half with the ball and switched it left and right but his final ball was poor. His set plays were also not great. He hit the wall with a free kick and overplayed another. 2nd half he was really poor along with the rest of the team. He did not affect the game at all and Fer ran things. Did not get on the ball but also did not do the little things stopping runners or picking up balls at all. Does pick up silly bookings by diving in. the best two players on the field were Celina and Fer. These were directly up against our main midfield two. 2nd half until the last 10 minutes when we were pumping it forward cannot recall us keeping it in their half for more than 2 or 3 passes at all.

Duffy 7/10 – Excellent first half. The best player on the field by a long way and most things went through him. He assisted on the big McGoldrick chance and was involved in all our good play. He got on it and made us tick. I loved the way he linked things and helped move the ball on. They got tighter on him second half and he was not in at all.

Sharp 5/10 – Missed a really good opportunity and never recovered from that. He was slow to react and the two centre backs gradually won the battle. Had no service whatsoever at all. Second half we did not really give him anything and he was chasing back a lot.

McGoldrick 5/10 – Not his night. Missed a big chance. Was not able to link as well as he has done and I felt him and Sharp were too far apart. We did play some decent stuff he was involved in at times first half but 2nd half he and Sharp were starved of the ball although both needed to work harder for me.

Subs –

Madine – Did quite well, won a few headers, used his chest well and played in others. Some good build up from difficult balls to control. He looked a threat and a handful.

Clarke – Came on with 10 to go. I would have left McGoldrick on personally even though he was not in the game at all. Always so slow to the ball and never seems to get up with the pace of it.

Dowell – Needs to wake up. May have only been playing u23 games but he looks half asleep. Not sharp at all. He has offered very little in the games I have seen. He is slow and does not have any real acceleration. I heard people raving about him when we signed him but he needs to do much more to convince. We looked even worse when Duffy went off. Had one run but overplayed the ball to Clarke and then one decent through ball.

Madine – Did really well and held it up and played people in. Used his chest and head well and linked things. McGoldrick and Sharp been brilliant but they were not at it today. They will start for a while yet but I am sure Madine may be used in weeks to come.

Wilder 5/10 – A game we should have been in control of and ahead after a good first half performance saw us not take the chances and then 2nd half we were abject and Potter completely has Wilder’s number. Twice he has changed the formation and tactics and twice they have turned round games they were 2nd best in to win. Sure our players did not play but they stepped things up and Wilder did nothing. It was way too late to change it when he did. He needed to have changed it; not just formation but personnel long before he did. I would have put Coutts on as we were not keeping the ball – the change was just like for like. It was pointless as Duffy was not seeing any of the ball at all anyway. We needed to stiffen up the midfield and give the defence some protection also. The other changes were fair enough as we had to try something up top but frankly it was all a bit desperate. The damage was done and so hard to change the turnaround when the tide had turned. They played 10 yards higher up, won the ball, pressed us and used the wings to force our wing backs backwards. Wilder just let it drift for 20 minutes. You could see the goal coming. It was reminiscent of other games; Derby away. We seem to have no answer when other teams change things up. Wilder rightly gets plaudits for doing a fantastic job and he has worked miracles but also deserves criticism for things also – today I felt he was not proactive at all. Course the players lacked intensity and individually were poor but the whole shape changed of the game. He needed to make that chance

Referee – Wilder criticised him but all the bookings were yellows. They were all cynical fouls or had intent (Norwood does dive in a lot). Both us and them had penalty appeals but neither were for me. I would have been incensed if they had given hand ball against us for the one at the end but it was not much different to Bash’s the other week really.

You could have cut and paste your reports from Derby and Bristol City away to save time DB. Agree with all of that. Potter realised he needed to cut out the supply line to the best player on the pitch, Duffy, in the first half. He did that and that released their pacy players. We can't handle pace and midfielders being unable to tackle because they've got themselves booked meant we were wide open as the game progressed.

We don't seem capable of dealing with teams who press us higher up the pitch, whether its lack of quality alternatives on the bench or lack of tactical know how I don't know but it keeps happening. Part of the solution is to bring in a pacy forward like Zohore but that seems unlikely with the lack of funds available. I fear, like you, we will fall away again.

Only issue I have is with the bookings Norwood never touched their player and one of the others was harsh. Great 1st half finishing apart ,2nd wasn’t good enough,we’ve always got that 2nd half in us it surfaces occasionally and will be the difference between auto and play offs hopefully ,if they happen more regular this season could go the way of last

We shudda had a penalty late on,their lad's hands were in a unnatural position if it had happened in our box it wudda been given.2 sitters missed in't first half and a non show in first 30 mins in't 2nd half,i thought it was similar to the game at BDBL,in that we were better in't first half they were the better side 2nd half.Last Time we won in Swansea in't league was 1958 when Bully was only 30 years owd,shows wor a long time ago that was.:giggle: UTCB

I thought Fleck had a good first half and his downturn in the second was one of the main reasons that we went off the boil as much as them close marking Duffy. It wasn’t for any tactical reason on their part, he just stopped doing the basics and seemed all over the place.