Swans v Villa | Vital Football

Swans v Villa

Merry Christmas to all.
Not much news on the football front as the players rest up before the match tomorrow.
No one can second guess Potter’s team selection as it’s different each game.
I am hoping Bony will feature again at some point in the match.
I assume Carroll is still out injured, and will he risk Fer, who was lethargic against Hull.
I also hope Naughton is back as John has been pretty unimpressive so far.
Celina needs to start, and let’s see our wingers James and Montero doing some damage tomorrow.

Last edited:
I would be tempted to rest Rodon for this one as he’s been making some uncharacteristic errors lately.
Carter-Vickers needs game time and should slot in alongside VdH in central defence. There is a threat of Spurs recalling him next week due to lack of games, and sending him to Ipswich again, where he played well last season.
Defensive midfield is a worry and has been for a long time now. Fer is uncomfortable in this role and is a liability. He is much better when playing in a more advanced position and is also capable of scoring goals.
Ryan Woods was Potter’s choice for this role but the owners wouldn’t back him with the cash. Stoke stepped in and we lost him to a rival club.

There was no sign of Montero at Hull, not even sub.
As there was no word on him being injured again, I assume he was rested.
He hasn’t featured much recently since his comeback from injury.
He can be a match winner so I expect him to either start or be used as an impact sub, as long as he doesn’t trip over a matchstick beforehand.

Another disappointing defeat as we flattered to deceive once again in a never ending pattern of Groundhog Day matches. Dominate play, fail to score enough goals, concede and lose.
It was inevitable that we succumbed to a high ball once again, we just cannot defend anything in the air lately. Carter-Vickers came in to replace Rodon but made little difference to our vulnerable defence. Ditto Naughton who replaced John.
First half an hour we dominated without creating any clear cut chances. Villa sat back and absorbed it all and relied on the counter attack.
Against the run of play McGinn almost scored before half time but his shot was well saved by Mulder.
Villa attacked relentlessly second half and scored from a cross into the box, Hourihane heading in on 65 mins.
El-Ghazi fouled Dyer in the box on 89 mins and a penalty was awarded.
Bony took the ball off McBurnie, our usual penalty taker, and inexplicably decided he was going to take it, and his shot was duly saved.

Last edited:
Are we sleepwalking to another relegation?
Make no mistake, 5 defeats in the last 7 matches is relegation form.
It’s only points gathered from the beginning of the season that’s keeping us up in a false position in the table.
We can’t win a match, we can’t even draw a match.
We can’t hold on to a lead, we can’t stop conceding goals.
This window in January is crucial to the future of the club.
Bony has to go, he is a drain on resources and contributes nothing.
Narsingh, Dyer, and Routledge are still on high wages and have to go.
With the clearing out of the high earners it leaves room to bring in desperately needed reinforcements.
We need at least someone who can score goals and get on the end of the chances we are creating and wasting, a strong defensive midfielder, and another centre back if CCV is recalled by Spurs.

Relegation? Think it's far too early for talk of the possibility but we'll see after Wigan, that's a game we should be winning quite comfortable but we're not always on our game against the struggling sides

Promotion: 86 average points needed (Burnley went up with 93 points two seasons ago)
Play-offs: 73 average points needed (highest 78 & missed out, lowest 68 & qualified)
Relegation: 49 average points needed (44 lowest & stayed up, highest 54 and relegated)
We have 32 points from 24 games.
Based on average points, we need another 17 points from the remaining 22 games to avoid relegation, and another 41 points from 22 games to get to the play-offs.
Our form over the last 10 matches:
W4 D0 L6 Pts12

Last edited: