Swans v Sheff Utd | Vital Football

Swans v Sheff Utd

We’ll have to be at our best to get anything from this one.
Sheff Utd sit in second place in the table on 50 points with 4 straight wins behind them, the latest a 1-0 win over QPR, who had conceded just 4 goals and were undefeated in their previous 6 matches. Summer signing from Ipswich, 31 year old David McGoldrick, scored the winner with his 10th goal of the season.

The reverse fixture at Bramall Lane was our first back in the Championship last August, where we pulled off a shock 1-2 win.
Our team that day -
Nordfelt, Roberts, Van der Hoorn, Fernandez, Olsson, Celina, Fulton, Carroll, Asoro, McBurnie, McKay. Subs: Montero, Dhanda, Dyer, Grimes, Rodon, Amat, Mulder.

After this match two of that line up departed. Our captain, centre-half and Argentinian International Federico Fernandez, was gifted to Newcastle for a paltry £3mill, at 30% of his market value. Centre-half Jordon Amat was sold to Rayo Vallecano for an undisclosed fee, probably at a giveaway price.
The desperate fire sale by our hedge fund owners meant the departure of 16 of our Premier League players, including loanees, which decimated our club, and we were left with only one senior central defender, Van der Hoorn, and one centre forward from the under 23’s, McBurnie.

Last edited:
Well I hope your prediction is correct.
One thing’s for sure, we need fair officials for this match, no controversial decisions again.
Sheff Utd seem to have a decent manager in Chris Wilder, and he’s apparently urged the EFL and FA to clamp down on players who dive and roll about, and get fellow professionals booked.
Couldn’t agree with him more.

Off the back of four straight wins Sheffield came, they saw, but they didn’t conquer!
If they’d taken their chances they could have been a couple of goals up first half as United dominated. Rodon went off injured on 21 min, Carter-Vickers replacing him.
It remained 0-0 at half time.
Second half Potter subbed Routledge for James, Oli moved to the wing and James replaced him in the middle. We were a different team and it was United’s turn to be on the back foot. In the 65th minute Dyer beat his man and passed into the box for McBurnie to slide the ball home. A few minutes later and Henderson made a couple of great saves from Celina and James.
There was a late rally from United, Fulton replaced Dyer on 81min, but Swans held out for the win that takes them to 40 points, up to 9th in the table, 6 points off a play-off spot.

Last edited:
Match Statistics: Swans v Sheff Utd
Possession: 51% - 49%
Shots: 11 - 12
Shots on target: 3 - 4
Corners: 3 - 7
Fouls: 8 - 17
Yellow cards: 0 - 4
Man of the match: Leroy Fer

Joe Rodon out for at least six weeks after breaking a metatarsal (the five long bones in the foot) on 20 mins today.
Potter said post match that Rodon could be out until March.

Last edited:
And still they sit on their hands as we now have a crisis in central defence after Rodons injury.
With only VdH and Spurs loanee Carter-Vickers on the books, there is interest from Wigan and Ipswich for C-V, and they can offer him regular game time, something he has not had here so far.
Whether Spurs can recall him because of lack of games and loan him out again is unknown, did he have a guarantee of game time in his contract?

Rodon's injury is very unfortunate. CCV to come in now but no backup - only Harries and lets be honest, he's not capable of coming in if we have another injury.

A great win, and yes well done to cropped who got it spot on!

They wasted their first half chances and I felt did a Swansea - missed chances early on and faded!

So often this season we have missed our chances to score more than one goal and lost matches where we should have been out of sight.
Lately, with a settled squad, we have done better.
With some tough games coming up, I look at the form guide table and see that the unlikely leaders are Hull and Bristol City (next but one league opponents), both unbeaten in the last ten games.

Time for my prediction. On a roll. 100% accurate. If I was a betting man I'd say a comfortable 2-0 win.

I am not a betting man, but still say Swansea City 2 Gills 0.

OK... go the result if not the correct scoreline... my bubble is burst.

So... 5 points for correct score.... 2 points for correct result? We could get a little prediction league going here!