Swans v Middlesborough | Vital Football

Swans v Middlesborough

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Middlesborough at home next Saturday, one of the four games left this season.
We really don’t know what to expect from our team after the Reading collapse, where the Swans showed the best and the worst side of their play. Cruising at 1-4 away from home after a sublime attacking display, they take their foot of the gas and allow Reading back into the game with a shambolic defensive display. Martin said after the match "I am disappointed in the mentality of the team for the first time in a long time, 4-1 up and our intensity dipped”
Middlesborough are 3 points off a play-off spot with a game in hand and have everything to play for. They’ve suffered a bit of a wobble in form lately though, losing 3 of their last 4 matches, the 0-0 draw at Bournemouth being the only point picked up.
The reverse fixture was last December, where Middlesborough’s new manager Chris Wilder and his assistant, ex-Swan Alan Knill, saw them win 1-0, Isaiah Jones scoring his first goal of the season with a breakaway goal after beating the off-side trap. Paterson had a penalty appeal turned down and was booked for simulation. Piroe had a shot cleared off the line.
With 68% possession, 15 shots, 5 on target, they were left frustrated after failing to equalise.
The team that day: Hamer, Cabango, Naughton, Williams, Laird, Grimes, Downes, Manning, Smith, Paterson, Piroe.

Last 6 games:
Swansea W3 D3 L0 F12 A6 Pts12
Middlesborough W2 D1 L3 F6 A4 Pts7

Last 6 home:
Swansea W3 D2 L1 F10 A9 Pts11
Last home game: 15/4 Swans 0 - Barnsley 0

Last 6 away:
Middlesborough W2 D2 L2 F9 A7 Pts8

Last away game: 15/4 Bournemouth 0 - Middlesborough 0

Last edited:
Middlesborough Manager Chris Wilder is the bookies favourite to replace Sean Dyche at Burnley. Speculation grows, not helped by Wilders refusal to comment on the matter.

Middlesborough with no wins and no goals in the last four matches are still in with a chance of making the play-offs.
They will be up for this one and to make sure their players are well rested they flew down from Teeside yesterday.

Another ex-Swans player returns with Middlesborough today.
Left-back Neil Taylor, getting on a bit now at 33 years-old but still playing well. He was an unused sub for them last match, a 0-2 defeat at home to Huddersfield.

Last edited:
Boro team news -
Centre-back Dael Fry is still out with a calf injury sustained two weeks ago against Hull.
Argentinian midfielder Martin Payero, out since February with an ankle injury, is fit again and will be in the squad for today’s match

Flynn Downes on reported interest in him from Leeds:
“It’s football and anything can happen, but I love it here and I am happy here. Next year I have high hopes for what we can achieve so I am not thinking about anything else. I have always said playing in the Premier League is my dream, I really want to do that.”

David Webb is the man in the middle for today’s match, it will be the fifth time he’s reffed us this season but the first match at home.

The teams, Jamie Paterson missing, presumed injured:

Swans: Andy Fisher, Ben Cabango, Kyle Naughton, Joel Latibeaudiere, Cyrus Christie, Flynn Downes, Matt Grimes (c), Ryan Manning, Joel Piroe, Hannes Wolf, Michael Obafemi.
Subs: Ben Hamer, Jay Fulton, Korey Smith, Olivier Ntcham, Kyle Joseph, Nathanael Ogbeta, Cameron Congreve.

Boro: Luke Daniels, Anfernee Dijksteel, Marcus Tavernier, Jonny Howson (c), Paddy McNair, Duncan Watmore, Sol Bamba, Marc Bola, Isaiah Jones, Josh Coburn, Riley McGree.
Subs: Joe Lumley, Neil Taylor, Martin Payero, Andraz Sporar, Lee Peltier, Aaron Connolly, Folarin Balogun.

HT: 0-0
Swans dominated with 80% possession, but both sides created very little with Boro stifling Swans with their high press.
FT: 1 (Obafemi 48’) - 1 (McGree 46’)
Grimes mistake from kick-off let in McGree whose shot hit the bar and in. Another goal conceded from over-passing instead of clearing the ball.
We soon responded though, Piroe pass to Obafemi, he beat marker Bamba and fired home for his 11th goal of the season.
Game on and it opened up with chances for both sides.
Boro almost won it in injury time when Connolly raced clear but his shot hit the post and was gathered up by Fisher.