Swans v Ipswich | Vital Football

Swans v Ipswich

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
On Saturday we play our third game in a week against an Ipswich side which has slipped into the bottom three, whilst we sit just outside the play off positions in 7th place.
Last 6 games - Swans W2 D3 L1 F5 A2 - Ipswich W0 D4 L2 F4 A8
Ipswich lost at home to Middlesboro on Tuesday night and drew away at Birmingham last Saturday.
The top three of Leeds, Middlesboro, and Sheffield Utd, are all on 22 points and have opened up a 5 point gap from us, so a win is important on Saturday to keep up with the leading pack.
With GP’s team selection hard to predict, he does like to rotate players, we can expect a few changes from the side that played Wigan.

Clash of the ex-players this afternoon as ex-Ipswich season long loanee Bersant Celina and ex-Swans winger Gwion Edwards go head to head.

A shock defeat yesterday to bottom club Ipswich, who hadn’t won a match all season.
Celina and Edwards scored the customary goals against their old clubs. How was 5’9” Edwards allowed a free header with Rodon at 6’4” and VdH at 6’3” defending the box. Our normally solid defence was riddled with mistakes.
At the other end Ipswich’s goal led a charmed life, McB inches away from a hat trick or more.
I think we underestimated Ipswich with our open attacking play which left us vunerable on the counter and why did all our players have to come up for every corner.
Nordfelt was a liability in goal and should have saved two of the three conceded, why was Mulder, the better goalkeeper, dropped for the last two matches?
Players played out of position i.e Grimes at full back, Roberts on the wing. Vastly experienced full back Olsson on the bench with Fer and Fulton.
Out of form Asoro replaced defender Naughton half time, Fer replaced Byers 58’,
centre back and captain VdH pulled and replaced by the out of form and ineffective McKay on 75’.
Bright spot was Dan James on the wing who delivered plenty of dangerous crosses only for McB to miss them all.
74% possession, 18 shots on goal, 13 corners, and we couldn’t win?
Special mention for another inept EFL ref, Oliver Langford, who let Ipswich’s foul after foul go unpunished and was more akin to a rugby referee.
All in all a bitterly disappointing day for us fans, we’re down to 10th in the table, and left to stew on that result for a long two weeks until the Villa away match.
A break that will give GP time to reflect, and players to recharge the batteries ready to go again.

Well it was down to earth with a bump against Ipswich defensively as we conceded three goals for the first time against the bottom side to give them their first win of the season. Everybody was puzzled by Nordfelt’s selection over Mulder and I felt that he was partly to blame for two of those goals. I say partly as Potter removing defenders Naughton and VdH left us badly exposed for the third goal.
It doesn’t help making several changes to the team every match and some are calling our manager “the tinker man” as he tinkers with the team selection every match. I don’t think it’s meant in a derogatory way though as overall he doing a good job so far.

Disappointing result to say the least but the performance was there I thought and despite losing there's a good feeling there that Potter will really do the business here. We're dominating teams now and finally starting to create some really good chances and I'm confident that goals will follow as Potter seems to remove weaknesses and build on things that need improving from the previous game.

I just hope he sticks with Mulder in goal as Nordfeldt was very poor. yes the VDH sub was a risk but I felt it cancelled each other out with the goal scored then the one conceded. The keeper surely should have kept out their third, if not the second too.