Swans v Fulham | Vital Football

Swans v Fulham

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
It’s going to be tough this one. They come to us off the back of two consecutive home wins in the last week. Last time out: Fulham 3 Derby 0.
Fulham Manager Scott Parker after their win - “Today was tough, we played in a short space of time this week and it was always going to be tough physically for us. I thought we executed everything we spoke about in the last few days, I don't think they had any shots on target and we really executed in the final third. I'm really pleased with the team and really pleased with the lads, it's a good result."
(Strange statement, Fri to Tue equals 4 days off between two home games, most of the other Championship teams had 3 days off between matches! How are they going to manage when they play us on Friday with only 3 days off)

Fulham last 6 away matches: W2 D3 L1 F7 A5
Swans last 6 home matches: W1 D1 L4 F3 A8

Our shocking home form lately is relegation form and we have to try and turn it around before it ruins our season.

Last edited:
Another home defeat, this time to a slick Fulham side. Leading scorer Mitrovic unmarked for both their goals, first from a deflected shot off the bar straight to him and second a suicidal back pass from Peterson. A better performance than of late and we deserved the draw, but still it’s five home defeats now, which is relegation form and just not good enough.
We need a clear out of below standard players in January and as a priority some strengthening in midfield if we are to stop this alarming slump, assuming Cooper survives until then.

Cooper: “We know where we are at as a club. We came up against a team who could compete in the Premier League - certainly the investment that has gone into their squad is a Premier League budget - and we made them look ordinary on so many occasions. But we have not taken the chances and given away, particularly the second goal, a poor goal. It's a frustrating night, no doubt about that. I thought it was our best performance for a while and that's why we are frustrated not to get a draw."

Parker: “They started the game pretty strongly and we had our keeper to thank in the first 10 minutes where he pulled off a couple of good saves. But I felt from those early scares we dominated the game and controlled the game, we put the ball in the right areas and got our nose in front. In the second half I felt we were the only team who were going to score and then the goal comes from nothing from Swansea, from that moment we decided to see the game out and we did that very well, which pleases me a lot."

Last edited:
Swans 1 (Byers 65’) - Fulham 2 (Mitrovic 22’ 43’)
Possession: 47% - 53%
Shots: 18 - 10
On target: 7 - 4
Corners: 6 - 0
Fouls: 12 - 18
Ref: Simon Hooper 4/10
Att: 16,024

Cardiff won at an in-form Forest yesterday and are only 2 points behind us as we slump down to 8th in the table.
We have high flying West Brom away up next. Cardiff looked very poor when we played them recently, so it’s an amazing turn around in form for them with new manager Neil Harris at the helm. They could well be above us in the table next week, not a happy thought.

Why on earth was Mitrovic given so much freedom. Knowing he was the division’s leading scorer, to let him score those two goals unmarked was criminal, what were our players thinking.
Back to the drawing board Mr Cooper, not good enough.

Swans 18 shots, 7 on target, 1 goal
Millwall 10 shots, 4 on target, 2 goals
Tells a story doesn’t it. A poor return, 18 shots and 1 goal.
The question must be asked, what on earth are they doing in training.
This week maybe they can find some time in their schedule for a bit of shooting practice. And while they’re at it try practicing passing the ball forward and not constantly back and sideways, and possibly even finding their own player with a pass and not the opposition.

Last edited:
Championship Form Table last 6 matches is not pretty reading as we are the bottom club, even below all the relegation threatened sides.
Besides conceding silly goals we cannot score them either.
PL6 W1 D1 L4 F4 A9 GD-5 Pts4

How can we be still unbeaten away, when we are so bad at home?
Do the players feel under more pressure at home?
Is the pressure off in away games?
Is it that the home teams have to come out and attack us when on their own patch, which subsequently gives us more room to attack them?
Is it that we can’t break down teams at home because the opposition play more defensively?

felt Fulham were there for the taking, not a great side, confident enough in possession passing around but we didn't press them enough in their half. We didn't disrupt their game enough and act like the home side. we gifted them 2 goals, especially the 2nd one and we missed an absolute sitter.

Yes i agree it was a much better performance but that goes to show how bad we've been at home lately. We looked more of a team and more balanced, Surridge had a decent game and should have scored and at last Bidwell was dropped.