Swans v Brentford | Vital Football

Swans v Brentford

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Tuesday night Brentford are the visitors to the Liberty. On Saturday we scraped a draw at bottom club Barnsley, whilst Brentford who were losing 0-2 at home to Millwall with 6 mins to go, stunned Millwall by scoring in the 84’, 88’ and 94’ to win the game.
Rodon is a doubt after limping off at Barnsley, Wilmot replaced him and will be chomping at the bit for game time tomorrow night as well.
Presumably we will rotate the players with 3 games in a week. Cardiff next up after Brentford, a Sunday 12 midday kick off at the Liberty for the Sky cameras.
Swansea are 3rd on 22 points, Brentford are 13th on 15 points.

Swansea last 6 games:
Away Barnsley 1-1 (D)
Home Stoke 1-2 (L)
Away Charlton 1-2 (W)
Home Reading 1-1 (D)
Away Bristol C 0-0 (D)
Home Forest 0-1 (L)

Brentford last 6 games:
Home Millwall 3-2 (W)
Away Forest 1-0 (L)
Home Bristol 1-1 (D)
Away Barnsley 1-3 (W)
Home Stoke 0-0 (D)
Away Preston 2-0 (L)

When you look back at the season so far, August results saw us riding on the crest of a wave, culminating in that away win at Leeds, plus we were 14 home league games undefeated in 2019:

August WDWWWWWW

Then came the International two week break and it all went to pot after that:

Sep 14 onwards LDLDWLD

Somehow we have to get back on track, we have to revert to what we were doing so well at the beginning of the season before Cooper started tinkering with the team, starting tonight against Brentford.

Steve Cooper wants Swansea City to turn their spells of positive play into a more complete performance against Brentford.

The Swans host the Bees looking for a first win in four games on home turf, having dropped points against Reading and Stoke after Nottingham Forest had ended a long unbeaten run at the Liberty.

Forest’s win in September was the first by any Championship side in SA1 since Boxing Day last year, and the Swans have since suffered frustration as fast starts at Reading and Stoke were not built on.

Cooper felt the opening half-hour against the Royals saw his side produce some of their best football of the season, and he now wants to see that sort of performance extended closer to a full 90 minutes against Brentford.

“We definitely want to get back to firing at the Liberty. Home is where you want to play first and foremost. The last few results have not gone as we would have liked, and it’s disappointing, but it’s not something we can dwell on too much.
You have to look forward to the next one, and we are.
We are facing a good team who had a good comeback on the weekend, so it promises to be a good game.
We want a whole performance, which is what you’re always aiming for.
I feel like we’ve only done it for periods of games rather than a duration.
You look at Reading, I thought we were excellent for the first 30 minutes, and we started really well against Stoke.
I want us to get up to the levels we want quickly, and stay there for the whole of the game.
It’s wishful thinking from any manager but I do feel like we’re due it.
I feel it is coming and I feel the next game is a good opportunity to do it.”

Swans v Brentford is live on Sky Sports Red Button tonight.

SwansTV the Brentford match is live and available to viewers in UK for £10, as well as abroad, with David Giles studio guest, and Lee Trundle assisting with the match commentary.

Truly shocking performance tonight, it seems we get worse with every game.

A 0-3 defeat at home to a mid table side that have been pretty average so far this season, words fail me. We looked like relegation candidates tonight. We made Brentford look like Barcelona.

A 0-2 half time score soon became 0-3 second half as the lightweight and hopeless Dhanda was replaced by Celina and Fulton by Byers, but to no avail.

Our defending was pathetic, our midfield was weak. Peterson looked good at times but eventually faded into obscurity. Against their giant defence we won nothing in the air, Baston was replaced by Surridge but without any effect whatsoever.

Sunday is going to be tough and I can see nothing but another defeat playing as badly as we are at the moment.

Possession 57% - 43%
Shots: 17 - 14
On Target: 5 - 7
Corners: 6 - 6
Fouls: 7 - 6
Bookings: 2 - 1
Att: 15,875
Ref: Gavin Ward 2/10 (seen better Welsh League refs)

Steve Cooper: "It was disappointing. I am not going to hide away from a poor scoreline at home.
If you are like that at this level you will get punished, and we have made two big errors for the second and third goals. So you go 3-0 down and it's a tough ask to get back into it.
We particularly fell short with our defending throughout the pitch, not just in the back four and around our goal. If you do that you concede goals and we got punished."

Thomas Frank:
"It was close to perfect.
We wanted to go high and press on goal-kicks and from the goalkeeper's hands to try to win the ball high.
When we won the ball we were a big threat counter-attacking. We pressed high again in the second half and got the third goal and we more or less controlled the game after that.
I see consistent good performances and hopefully there is more to come - but we need to keep our heads down and continue working extremely hard."

Absolutely shocking performance, the very worst possible type of performance ahead of the derby game on Sunday.

As we plunge from top to 9th in the table I’m very concerned as to when this disastrous run of form will end. It’s not been helped by Cooper’s bizarre team selections and players being played out of position.
Unbelievably key player Celina was replaced by the lightweight and mediocre Dhanda for the Brentford game. Dhanda was pulled at half time but we were already 0-2 down by then. Not all his fault because the whole team played badly and one wonders if Cooper has lost the dressing room with the players putting on such a disjointed and lethargic display.

As we plunge from top to 9th in the table I’m very concerned as to when this disastrous run of form will end. It’s not been helped by Cooper’s bizarre team selections and players being played out of position.
Unbelievably key player Celina was replaced by the lightweight and mediocre Dhanda for the Brentford game. Dhanda was pulled at half time but we were already 0-2 down by then. Not all his fault because the whole team played badly and one wonders if Cooper has lost the dressing room with the players putting on such a disjointed and lethargic display.

It's just not working all over the pitch keith and it seems Cooper is stubborn and won't change things for the better. Potter was very flexible, probably overly flexible with his tactics and formations and Cooper will only use a 4-2-3-1. A system that doesn't suit us at all and it needs a re-think. We have a nothing midfield, and such a lack of attacking ideas going forward. Agaisnt brentford it was just put it wide and get a fullback to cross aiming for 2 players against 4.