Swans v Brentford | Vital Football

Swans v Brentford

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Swans v Brentford Wed 27 Jan 19:00
This is a big one, with both teams bang in form. Brentford are unbeaten in the league since 4th October, Swans have conceded just two goals in their last six home games.
Brentford had three games postponed recently due to Coronavirus related issues, including this rearranged fixture because of the FA Cup games, and resumed with a 1-0 win at home to Luton last Wednesday night. Leading scorer Ivan Toney was sent off in injury time in that game with a second yellow card and got an automatic one match ban so he missed the 1-3 FA Cup defeat against Leicester on Sunday.
We drew up there last November 1-1, Toney giving them the lead and Ayew equalising, we also had a goal disallowed for offside in injury time.
The team that day - Woodman, Naughton, Bennett, Guehi, Roberts, Fulton, Smith, Bidwell, Dhanda, Ayew, Lowe

The Table:
Swans 2nd P24 W13 D7 L4 F29 A13 GD16 Pts46
Bees 4th P23 W12 D8 L3 F37 A21 GD 16 Pts44

Form Guide last 6 games:
Swans LWWDWW F8 A3
Bees WDWWWW F13 A6

Swans last 6 home games: DWDWDW F7 A2
Bees last 6 away games: DWWWDW F10 A2

Last edited:
Just having a look back at that reverse fixture last November:
Brentford 1 (Toney 36’) - Swans 1 (Ayew 77’)
Steve Cooper after the match:
"We had numerous chances in the game to win comfortably. Obviously we were disappointed to go in 1-0 down. We thought that we were comfortable in the game and Freddie didn't have a save to make all game. Their keeper made two world-class saves in the early stages, but I thought in the second half we were brilliant. Little bit of mixed feelings but we can't be disappointed with the performance.
You wish after a performance like that coming here that it would be three points instead of one, because it should have been."
Here are the stats for that game and surprisingly they only had one shot on target and that was the goal:
Possession: 55% - 45%
Shots: 7 - 13
On target: 1 - 5

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Kyle Naughton, Ben Cabango, Marc Guehi; Connor Roberts, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Jake Bidwell; Conor Hourihane; Jamal Lowe, Andre Ayew.
Substitutes: Ben Hamer, Ryan Bennett, Joel Latibeaudiere, Ryan Manning, Dan Williams, Jordon Garrick, Yan Dhanda, Ollie Cooper, Jordan Morris.
Brentford: David Raya, Henrik Dalsgaard (captain), Mads Sorensen, Ethan Pinnock, Rico Henry; Mathias Jensen, Josh Dasilva; Bryan Mbuemo, Vitaly Janelt, Sergi Canos; Ivan Toney.
Substitutes: Luke Daniels, Saman Ghoddos, Marcus Forss, Tariqe Fosu, Mads Roerslev, Jan Zamburek, Fin Stevens, Alex Gilbert, Maxwell Haygarth.
Substitutes: Luke Daniels, Saman Ghoddos, Marcus Forss, Tariqe Fosu, Mads Roerslev, Jan Zamburek, Fin Stevens, Alex Gilbert, Maxwell Haygarth.

Last edited:
FT: 1-1 that was hard work, 5 mins injury time.
Brentford the better side on the night, Swans dug deep for the last 30 mins. A great point salvaged with ten men, well done the players.

Take the point and move on. It was so important not to lose and let Brentford leapfrog us. They are two points behind with a game in hand.
Better the points on board than a game in hand in my opinion.

The stats, not good to look at but who cares:
Swans 1 (78’ Hourihane) - Brentford 1 (74’ Fosu-Henry)
Possession: 36% - 64%
Shots: 2 - 18
On target: 1 - 5
Pass Accuracy: 72% - 87%
Corners: 1 - 6
Fouls: 17 - 10
Cards: 5Y(2Y=1R) - 0

Last edited:
London Press claim the Bees were denied the win by a controversial Swansea equaliser stating that the goalkeeper had been fouled as he went for the ball. This coincides with Thomas Frank’s post match comments "I think it (the equaliser) is a foul. I think there's an elbow in the face and with VAR it would be disallowed, but the ball is put into a brilliant area."
I didn’t see anything untoward, nor an elbow in the face.. what I did see was a lot of play-acting by both sides when tackled trying to get players booked. Canos drew the foul from Naughton for the second yellow after Naughton had already been booked for pulling back Toney.
Swans had five yellow cards to none.