Swans v Blackburn | Vital Football

Swans v Blackburn

Blackburn are on a bit of a roll and 3rd in the Form Table behind only West Brom and Leeds, based on the last 6 matches, we are 19th.
Swans W1 D2 L3 Pts5
Blackburn W5 D0 L1 Pts15

Also based on the last 6 matches:
Swans home form only, we are bottom of the table in 24th spot:
W1 D1 L4 Pts4
Blackburn away form only, they are 15th in the table:
W2 D0 L4 Pts6

Cooper after a meeting with the players:
“We know we have only won three of the last 15 games, we know we conceded five at West Brom, and we know the best part of
2,000 fans travelled. We are proud to represent those people so we need to put it right. It was a positive meeting for sure, but meetings are only good if action is taken from them.
We need to believe in each other and in what we do more than ever. It’s a hard thing to ask for because we haven’t won enough games at home, but we really need the fans behind us.
We know we owe them a result and a performance. I don’t want to be patronising in any way, but we need them because we really want to be together.”

Trying to be positive, there were some good moments in the Fulham home match and we created quite a few chances.
If we can bring those positives into the Blackburn match maybe we can build on that.
It will be important to score first, if we concede early heads will go down and the fans will go silent.
Confidence is low at the moment, but a win will do wonders for moral.

And what do we do - concede early!
Inevitably it was old boy Danny Graham unmarked, in Blackburn’s first attack, who rifled a low shot into the net after only 4 minutes.
We responded well though and Ayew headed in from a Grimes cross, following a corner, on 11 minutes.
There were several shots wide by the Swans as they snatched at chances.

Second half the same but shots were blocked or saved. Carroll was sent off on 57’ for a second yellow card and Blackburn started to dominate.
Dack was sent of on 67’ for a second yellow and things were evened up once again. The diminutive Kalulu replaced off form Celina on 78’ in a central role but made little impression against their big defenders.
It was a more open game 10 v 10 but we just could not break down the Blackburn defence (14 shots - 3 on target tells the story). We badly needed a win and it was a better display than of late, Cabango had a good game and Carroll was lively, but the bad run continues.

Swansea 1 - Blackburn 1
Possession: 57% - 43%
Shots: 14 - 8
On Target: 3 - 2

Corners: 12 -3
Fouls: 11 - 11
Cards: Carroll 2Y(1R) - Dack 2Y(1R)
Ref: Jeremy Simpson 3/10
Att: 14,162

Steve Cooper:
“After the weekend defeat to West Brom it was a real defining moment in the character and personality of the team when we went a goal down.
I thought it could go either way and to be fair to the boys they really stood up for themselves and for the club, and so they should.
I've seen the penalty decision back for handball and it's just a massive error from the referee, and because he knows he made the error he's then made the poor red card decisions and he's lost his composure really.
He's made four major decisions and he's got them fundamentally wrong. I'm only being honest.
He is going to be embarrassed when he sees it back on TV. He'll probably be refereeing in the Conference now."

Tony Mowbray:
“11 v 10 I thought we would win the match, but then 11 v 11 and 10 v 10 you have to say Swansea are a very good football team.
It's a bit of a mystery why their home record has not been as good as they would have wanted.
Dack's second yellow is embarrassing. He just stuck his backside into the lad. It felt like it was just evening things up a little bit, he wasn't sure he'd got the first sending off right”