Swan, swans off from Scunny! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Swan, swans off from Scunny!

I may have got this wrong but i seem to remember it was Swann that chose Scunny over us rather than us turning him down. Wern't we non league at the time and scunnys league status attracted him when they contacted him after he'd spoke to Bob? Ive got nothing to back this up, so may be wrong.

yeah a day on piss they shook hands but Swann changed his mind

Scunny could be relegated as soon as next saturday after today. Local rivalries are funny. When we were playing them regularly, back around the play off years , i felt just as much hostility towards them as i do the delusionals in Cleethorpes. Now if i'm honest, i feel a little sad for them and not getting the same joy as watching cods demise. I genuinely feel there's a chance we may never play a league game against Scunny again such is their plight. The National league is awash with money with incredible gates this year, Scunny will have neither money nor gates and an unenviable situation off the field. they could well be one of those that drops further down the pyramid, never to be seen again.

Scunny could be relegated as soon as next saturday after today. Local rivalries are funny. When we were playing them regularly, back around the play off years , i felt just as much hostility towards them as i do the delusionals in Cleethorpes. Now if i'm honest, i feel a little sad for them and not getting the same joy as watching cods demise. I genuinely feel there's a chance we may never play a league game against Scunny again such is their plight. The National league is awash with money with incredible gates this year, Scunny will have neither money nor gates and an unenviable situation off the field. they could well be one of those that drops further down the pyramid, never to be seen again.
You kinda feel sorry for them but then you remember that **** Brian Laws.

Scunthorpe have been doomed for a while and will struggle in the NL a bit like we did pre Cowleys.

There are several teams at the top with money and as we found it is a hard division to get out of, Stockport went down with us and are only coming back this season and it has taken a large injection of cash to get Wrexham in the play off picture.

And Scunthorpe may well not have the benefits of an M180 derby next season as Grimsby are really hitting form winning 4-1 at Chesterfield yesterday and it would not surprise me if they went up via the play offs this season.

I'd still rather see Lincolnshire with 3, if not 4 , thriving league football teams - with us top of the pile, of course
Indeed stokeimp indeed, all in good time though......I'm happy for us to be the only Lincs. league club for a year or five first.

That's it then, gone. I'm in my mid fifties and may never see another League match between us, such is their plight . My, how quickly football changes ,it doesn't seem two minutes since they were having their time in the sun in the championship and we were in the doldrums. Some perspective needed for those whinging and whining about our season. We have a very tasty league 1 fixture list to look forward to next year (barring an unfortunate miracle).

Just 4 league wins for Scunny, that must rank alongside the likes of Southport & Workington for one of the worst sides in EFL history?

Nothing more than a glorified Boston really, with similar sized fanbases tbh. I don’t get why Grimsby fans were celebrating so wildly last night as I’m not too fussed either way?

Coincidentally I went to watch them yesterday - I live in Leyton and my FiL wanted to take his eldest grandkids to a game. The second ever game for my daughter, whose first was the Checkatrade final when she was 15 months old :wahey:).

I was expecting to enjoy seeing the Scunts get relegated, but I just felt a bit sorry for them, really. They were rubbish, they only took about 275 fans and I barely heard a peep from them. I can see them going straight through to NL North and never returning. Unlike us, they just don't have the potential fanbase to help dig them out of the mire. I went to several of our away games at the end of our relegation year. We took loads to the likes of Oxford. The locals in Scunny just don't seem to care. Sad, but they're probably non-league in terms of their fanbase. Even during their glory years in the second tier, they were getting lower crowds than we have this year.

Think it'll be the lowest points total of a L2 Club? Can vaguely remember York and Dagenham going down with 33 or so.