Sutton | Vital Football

Sutton

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
A really tough game against capable opposition. I have a bad feeling about this one. I think it might be a 2-1 loss.

Would be a good scalp, seeing as they have taken maximum points from their games against the top three and shared the spoils with current fourth, fifth and sixth place sides. But not dissimilar to us they just cannot sustain a place in the pretendy playoffs.

Difficult game to call, got all the markings of a draw.
:red:

Result correctly predicted though I got the score wrong. When they got the third there was no way back because we have not scored three all season. Much vaunted defence seem to have had an off day. Well done Sutton, three goals away from home. As for Pools, the play off ambitions looking slightly bedraggled. As soon as we play a decent team the shortcomings are exposed.

IMO Pools matched Sutton and were, a little, unfortunate to lose. Probably the biggest difference was that when Sutton engineered an opening they scored, whilst Pools either contrived to miss the target or dithered till the opportunity evaporated!
A goalscoring forward is needed, desperately, if we are to challenge for the playoffs. Though where you find one???

Result correctly predicted......When they got the third there was no way back because we have not scored three all season......

It bothers me that someone like Luke James can score 7 goals in 17 games for Barrow and can only score 1 in 17 games for pools, anyone else bothered by this? It bothers me that someone like Niko can score and assist loads but not for pools, it bothers me that Donaldson is our most potent midfield player but is played as a wingback.

It bothers me that we already have two centre half’s, in Davies & Magnay, a right back in Kioso and a left wingback in Kitching, why do we need a right wingback (Donaldson) if we’re playing Kioso as a right back ???? Or more to the point why do we need a left wingback (Kitching) if we’re using fullbacks???

Are we playing fullbacks or wingbacks? Are we playing with defenders, wingers or what? Is it 5 at the back or 4 at the back? Is it 3 in the middle, 4 in the middle or 5?

Is it James’ fault he’s not scoring as many under Bates as he was at Barrow or is it the way Bates is using him that’s at fault? Similarly is it the way Bates is using Niko or Donaldson, in my opinion not to their full potential, which is holding us back?

We’re not as good as we could or should be, make your own decisions as to why!!

If we have a bad night Tuesday we could well be 5 points outside the pretend playoffs and 10pts behind the leaders, the gap is ever widening and not looking like closing any time soon.

Away from home we are a different proposition and though I don't expect us to score a goal from open play at Wrexham, I think we are capable of nicking a point. The long term prospect is mid table I suspect for the reasons outlined above. It is a lot better than last season but we are a Football League team and it is frustrating to be kicking about this awful League for at least another year

I understand the frustration of being outside of the Football League, but you only have to look at how long it took Oxford, Luton and Lincoln to regain their FL position , Wrexham are still trying, to realise it will not be a given for any relegated team.

Pools are rebuilding and it will take time for this to bear fruit.

True but there are exceptions. Cheltenham did it in one season and so did Bristol Rovers. Tranmere did it at the third attempt. Macclesfield and Barnet regularly bounce up and down between The National League and League Two. The point is, FL teams don't necessarily have to take decades to go up, why should we?