Surely dead man walking | Page 85 | Vital Football

Surely dead man walking

I wonder how many will carry on supporting the Youth team after Old Trafford?

I also wonder how many have watched them at all this season?

Norm... imo it doesn't really matter how many go to OT, or who have watched them all season or even carry on watching them afterwards the end result may just entice a few more new supporters to the club on a permanent basis. Yes I get what your saying that the 1st team need our support but come on we took a fair few thousand away to PNE only to watch the team collapse, a few hundred to Leeds n they grab a win so imo WBA be it a large or small away following our inconsistency will still prevail.
BTW....I will be going OT but not sure about WBA as I have a pre booked concert 🤔🤔

....... He's the worst thing to happen to Wigan Athletic in our club's history. ........

There's exaggeration .......... then there's hyperbole ........then there's this.

Sure, he may be out of his depth Pon. Sure, his record isn't the greatest at this level. Sure, he should maybe be getting more out of our players ..... but to suggest he's deserving of the label you've given him is frankly laughable.

There's exaggeration .......... then there's hyperbole ........then there's this.

Sure, he may be out of his depth Pon. Sure, his record isn't the greatest at this level. Sure, he should maybe be getting more out of our players ..... but to suggest he's deserving of the label you've given him is frankly laughable.

Is it?

At this level, he has a worse record than McKay, Joyce and even Kenny Swain. And they could all be disposed of when it became clear they were the wrong people for the job. I'd take McKay or Joyce back in a heartbeat ahead of Cook: that's how much of a blight he is.

None of them spent even remotely close what Cook has spent either, and I doubt it cost us 3-4 million quid to be shut of any of them.

I stand by my comment. Cook is the worst thing that's ever happened to this club. I even include Maurice Lindsay's involvement in that assessment.

Last edited:
As is your blind hope in the face of all evidence.
All evidence?

He's won a league championship for us.
He beat City, from 2 divisions below, to give me one of my top dozen experiences watching Latics.
He kept us in the Championship last season.
We've got 11 points from the last 8 games.........noticeably with away wins not being a rarity any more.

He may not be the best thing that's ever happened to the club ........ but the worst?!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm 100% behind the players. Every one of them. I cheer everyone that comes onto the pitch in a Latics shirt, regardless of whether I think they're the right player to be starting, coming on was a sub, coming off, whatever.

There isn't a single player who I think deserves to be booed or criticised. Some (Lowe, Massey, Jacobs etc.) I don't think are good enough for this level, and I'd prefer they didn't play, but as I've said on other threads, I don't blame them personally. They don't pick themselves, and when they play, it's not their effort or commitment that I think is substandard. It's their ability, and that's not their fault. No-one can ask any player to be better than they are so long as they're giving 100% effort.

And that's my take on the situation. The manager is the root of all evil at this club. No problem with the players, and I'll cheer every last one of them until the cows come home. Cook, on the other hand, I will boo, jeer and condemn whenever and wherever I can.

I fully understand that it's highly unlikely to make a god's bit of difference, but even if my efforts in booing and jeering him make Cook getting sacked just one billionth of a percent more likely, it's still well worth the effort.

I'm behind the team; I want us to do as well as we can, ideally without Cook, but more likely despite Cook. I'll vocally show that to the players whenever I can. With that said, there is not a chance in hell that I'll say anything positive about Cook, because there's nothing positive to say about Cook. To try to pretend otherwise would be dishonest. He's the worst thing to happen to Wigan Athletic in our club's history. He's a disease that it seems we currently can't or won't cure... And it's not possible to live with it for much longer, so the club must either bite the bullet and deal with it, or die, simple as that.
I agree with pretty much all of that save for one bit - do you really think Lowe, Massey and Jacobs are giving everything - based on this seasons efforts I simply don't believe they are - no pro footballer would be so timid / lazy would they (except Ozil obvs 😉)

On a different subject....just watching Villa v Spurs & 2 VAR decisions in 2 minutes, imo absolutely killing the game alongside the premier greed league & the unsustainable ridiculous players wages.....rant over😡😤

Is it?

At this level, he has a worse record than McKay, Joyce and even Kenny Swain. And they could all be disposed of when it became clear they were the wrong people for the job. I'd take McKay or Joyce back in a heartbeat ahead of Cook: that's how much of a blight he is.

None of them spent even remotely close what Cook has spent either, and I doubt it cost us 3-4 million quid to be shut of any of them.

I stand by my comment. Cook is the worst thing that's ever happened to this club. I even include Maurice Lindsay's involvement in that assessment.

Pon....u n Moonayc both have differing views on PC n there's case for both of u. All about opinions & views n would be a dull forum if we all agreed.

He's won a league championship for us.

League One. With a squad that included Nick Powell and an in form Will Grigg, and several other players far too good for League One. With that squad, at that level, they'd have won the league without a manager. Cook didn't win anything. If anything, the lads won the league despite Cook.

At the time, admittedly it looked like Cook was doing a good job, but surely the last year and a half should've opened your eyes to the reality that it was never about Cook that year.

He beat City, from 2 divisions below, to give me one of my top dozen experiences watching Latics.
Hardly Cook, was it, being honest. It was a squad flying high on form and confidence and pulling out all the stops, and with no small measure of fortune that City took us for granted and didn't perform on the day. It wasn't a tactical masterclass, however fondly we remember it.

He kept us in the Championship last season.
By a unicorn's pube, and judging by the manner of our survival (going on a run at the death), it was more about the players digging in for their own pride. And not having to take a pay cut on relegation. If Cook had had an epiphany and finally sussed it out at this level, that form would've carried into this season, because the squad is better this year than last year. But for Nick Powell, who barely played anyway, we're stronger now in every position.

We've got 11 points from the last 8 games.........noticeably with away wins not being a rarity any more.
And have those been stellar performances? Did we consummately outplay any of those teams we got points from? We've not improved, we've just had some luck for once, and I don't want a manager who can only win when we're lucky. Our squad has the potential to be so much better and we seeing barely any of it.

11 points from 8 games is hardly flying high, and it's rather selective to just ignore the diabolical form we've seen for over a year leading up to our recent rise to semi-passable mediocrity.

He may not be the best thing that's ever happened to the club ........ but the worst?!
Yes, the worst. Statistically, and in terms of the entertainment value of the football on show. After having a season ticket for 19 years now, I'm not renewing if Cook is in charge. I have better things to do than pay hundreds of pounds for the dross Cook serves up. I'm far far from the only one. Our squad is much better than what we're seeing, and that is on Cook. The club has spent the past 20 plus years building and growing. The fanbase has quadrupled in that time, and Cook, in two years, stands to take us back to square one. And that's despite spending circa ten million quid on players. If we'd given Malky, Joyce, or Swain that much backing, I'd be willing to bet we'd have seen at least some return on it, rather than going backwards as we have done. If that's not the worst we've ever had, I'd be fascinated to know who you think has been worse?

Pon....u n Moonayc both have differing views on PC n there's case for both of u. All about opinions & views n would be a dull forum if we all agreed.
I agree, and we're discussing enthusiastically. Not personal. I trust Moonay knows that and I'm not having a dig at him. We don't have to agree to have mutual respect.

And you're 100% right, the forum would be terribly dull if everyone agreed all the time :giggle:

By 'eck Pon ......... "aye, but except for all that, what have the Romans ever done for us ?!"

Given that you give Cook no credit for winning the league, it's difficult to say a) who I think has been a worse manager, and b) what I think might be the worst thing that has happened to the club............ because I'm not sure what the parameters might be.

I understand your logic re available funding, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Look at Sunderland in League 1.

Since Jewell, I'd argue strongly that the best (Championship) football under Cook is way better than the best under Coyle, Mackay and Joyce.........and probably Caldwell. Only Rosler's was better. The wrost from each manager is much of a muchness ......... we've just had more of it from Cook cos he's been here longest.

As for the "worst" thing ................. I'd go losing a full team of promising youngsters in the mid 80s wasn't great ......... that led to over a decade in the doldrums.

Oh, and respect back to you sir too ....................... even though your comment remains frankly laughable.
;)

By 'eck Pon ......... "aye, but except for all that, what have the Romans ever done for us ?!"

Given that you give Cook no credit for winning the league, it's difficult to say a) who I think has been a worse manager, and b) what I think might be the worst thing that has happened to the club............ because I'm not sure what the parameters might be.

I understand your logic re available funding, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Look at Sunderland in League 1.

Since Jewell, I'd argue strongly that the best (Championship) football under Cook is way better than the best under Coyle, Mackay and Joyce.........and probably Caldwell. Only Rosler's was better. The wrost from each manager is much of a muchness ......... we've just had more of it from Cook cos he's been here longest.

As for the "worst" thing ................. I'd go losing a full team of promising youngsters in the mid 80s wasn't great ......... that led to over a decade in the doldrums.

Oh, and respect back to you sir too ....................... even though your comment remains frankly laughable.
;)
Has Cook got you on a retainer Moonay ?
Best championship football since Jewell - really ? When was that ? I must have been away !
Only ever seen individual good performances based totally on individual talent - Reece James and Nick Powell - under 🤡.
I can't think of a team performance (other than Stoke away last season) where we've properly bossed a game.

Best championship football since Jewell - really ? When was that ? I must have been away !.........

You see Hampton, this "conversation" thing doesn't really work unless you properly read what I wrote. Have another go.
;)

.........Only ever seen individual good performances based totally on individual talent - Reece James and Nick Powell - under 🤡.
I can't think of a team performance (other than Stoke away last season) where we've properly bossed a game.

A full game, yep, maybe you're right ............... but at times, within games, we've had plenty of belting spells ......... just often without any end product.

The problem has been that our defence has been unable to keep clean sheets, so unless the good play has an actual result, it's easily forgotten.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that we do this every game ................. just that whenever we do, then it's better than anything produced under those other Managers.

Best championship football since Jewell - really ? When was that ? I must have been away !
Only ever seen individual good performances based totally on individual talent - Reece James and Nick Powell - under 🤡.

We completely bossed forest away, absolute massacre in-fact, but that game showed how poor our attacking players are in the final third. Lowe, Jacobs, and Massey are and will never be good enough in this league. May aswell give other players like Dobre a run in the side.

League One. With a squad that included Nick Powell and an in form Will Grigg, and several other players far too good for League One. With that squad, at that level, they'd have won the league without a manager. Cook didn't win anything. If anything, the lads won the league despite Cook.

At the time, admittedly it looked like Cook was doing a good job, but surely the last year and a half should've opened your eyes to the reality that it was never about Cook that year.

Hardly Cook, was it, being honest. It was a squad flying high on form and confidence and pulling out all the stops, and with no small measure of fortune that City took us for granted and didn't perform on the day. It wasn't a tactical masterclass, however fondly we remember it.

By a unicorn's pube, and judging by the manner of our survival (going on a run at the death), it was more about the players digging in for their own pride. And not having to take a pay cut on relegation. If Cook had had an epiphany and finally sussed it out at this level, that form would've carried into this season, because the squad is better this year than last year. But for Nick Powell, who barely played anyway, we're stronger now in every position.

And have those been stellar performances? Did we consummately outplay any of those teams we got points from? We've not improved, we've just had some luck for once, and I don't want a manager who can only win when we're lucky. Our squad has the potential to be so much better and we seeing barely any of it.

11 points from 8 games is hardly flying high, and it's rather selective to just ignore the diabolical form we've seen for over a year leading up to our recent rise to semi-passable mediocrity.

Yes, the worst. Statistically, and in terms of the entertainment value of the football on show. After having a season ticket for 19 years now, I'm not renewing if Cook is in charge. I have better things to do than pay hundreds of pounds for the dross Cook serves up. I'm far far from the only one. Our squad is much better than what we're seeing, and that is on Cook. The club has spent the past 20 plus years building and growing. The fanbase has quadrupled in that time, and Cook, in two years, stands to take us back to square one. And that's despite spending circa ten million quid on players. If we'd given Malky, Joyce, or Swain that much backing, I'd be willing to bet we'd have seen at least some return on it, rather than going backwards as we have done. If that's not the worst we've ever had, I'd be fascinated to know who you think has been worse?

:clap:

On a different subject....just watching Villa v Spurs & 2 VAR decisions in 2 minutes, imo absolutely killing the game alongside the premier greed league & the unsustainable ridiculous players wages.....rant over😡😤

:clap:

Couldn’t agree more. Var is absolutely killing the game. Taking 3 or 4 minutes to decide someone’s ball sack is offside to justify ruling a goal out is beyond ludicrous. It hasn’t resolved controversy just created even more, particularly around penalty decisions which are still as objective as ever. Sadly I needn’t worry about it being introduced in the championship as we won’t be in it going forward. The only ones who seem to want it are incompetent officials and even then incompetent officials can’t even use it properly.

As does your blind faith ;)

Saying he's not "the worst" thing to have happened to the club is hardly worthy of being termed "blind faith".

All I've done is recognise/acknowledge everything that's gone on in his time here, rather than merely focus on his (admittedly) poor Championship points record, lacklustre performances and (sometimes) bewildering - and frustrating - team selections.

I see the bad things too............ just not exclusively so.
;)