Supporters Club | Page 46 | Vital Football

Supporters Club

One simple question comes to mind in all this for me, who did you donate the money too?

If the answer is the football club then I believe you have a case, however I believe the money was donated to the SC and therefore whether they loaned it to the club or gifted it that was their decision.

I do believe that the initial intention was to gift the money and that subsequent advice was given that a loan would be a better option.

I still see nothing wrong in this .
That would very much depend on the crowdfunding page.

When you pledge/crowdfund money via crowdfunder LTD you do so via their terms and conditions, the supporters club accepted the money as per those terms and conditions.

I know early on the wording was significantly different than after August. I believe around July it was changed to:

===============
All monies will be given to help Wigan Athletic function in these uncertain times. Should there be anything left over, we will put it towards projects within the club, stadium improvements or the Community Trust
===============

They are free to do as they like with the money, but if that falls foul of the terms of conditions they received it under they open themselves to legal issues.

That any wrong doing has taken place.
In relation to?

The club is safe (we believe).
We donated money to save the club and did not expect to see it again.
Why stir up dissatisfaction, why suggest anything is wrong, given the above.
Who wants the press getting a hint of this leading to unwelcome media attention

It's not wrong to ask those questions, but it's very wrong to insinuate that the volunteers, who took it upon themselves to do something to keep the club afloat in the shittiest of time, have been underhand and dishonest. I know you haven't done that but one serious poster and 1 idiot has.

If I believed that they did something wrong I'd come out and say it ( I have). I don't believe the money should have been setup as a loan and I've asked them to provide the loan agreement so that it can be confirmed everything was done in the spirit and terms of the crowdfunder and to understand why the money was sat in a bank account for so long doing nothing.

The one major mistake I see the supporters club doing and I doubt I'll ever get to the bottom of is calling me to stop the creditors meeting. On the call I was told by the supporters club that calling the creditors meeting would result in a bid going through failing and I'd be risking the future of the club. I dont believe that was the truth, but I do believe that is what they were told by the admin, unless if they parroted it without checking the facts first and the public creditor meeting would have been an eye opener as to 1) Yeung hadn't removed/given up his debt 2) the huge fees being charged.

Unless I'm the idiot :D If so fair enough.

The club is safe (we believe).
We donated money to save the club and did not expect to see it again.
Why stir up dissatisfaction, why suggest anything is wrong, given the above.
Who wants the press getting a hint of this leading to unwelcome media attention
Because the information from the supporters club and administration do not match up and goal posts have been moved. I've been asking for information out of the supporters club but getting stone walled, releasing info on their part should be easy to do and it can clear most of this up. That information would also help with the action being taken against the administration.

We don’t really. Know what as gone one. Something as clearly upset him. He may have put up a good lump sum. We don’t know. if he is real he must have put more than A tenner twenty pound in. By the sound of it.

100% not upset, just believe these items need to be cleared up. As above we've got the media spin, what the supporters club are saying and what the admin are saying (in legal docs) and things dont match up.

Last edited:
If I believed that they did something wrong I'd come out and say it ( I have). I don't believe the money should have been setup as a loan and I've asked them to provide the loan agreement so that it can be confirmed everything was done in the spirit and terms of the crowdfunder and to understand why the money was sat in a bank account for so long doing nothing.

The one major mistake I see the supporters club doing and I doubt I'll ever get to the bottom of is calling me to stop the creditors meeting. On the call I was told by the supporters club that calling the creditors meeting would result in a bid going through failing and I'd be risking the future of the club. I dont believe that was the truth, but I do believe that is what they were told by the admin, unless if they parroted it without checking the facts first and the public creditor meeting would have been an eye opener as to 1) Yeung hadn't removed/given up his debt 2) the huge fees being charged.

Unless I'm the idiot :D If so fair enough.

Because the information from the supporters club and administration do not match up and goal posts have been moved. I've been asking for information out of the supporters club but getting stone walled, releasing info on their part should be easy to do and it can clear most of this up. That information would also help with the action being taken against the administration.

100% not upset, just believe these items need to be cleared up. As above we've got the media spin, what the supporters club are saying and what the admin are saying (in legal docs) and things dont match up.

So is this all linked with your complaint to the Information Commissioner?

It wouldn't help the ICO complaint, but would likely help the Insolvency Service complaint.

Bloody hell WLatic.....are you a serial complainer..
Issues with ICO, issues with ISC, issues with SC & issues with Admin....have I missed any out 😉

Bloody hell WLatic.....are you a serial complainer..
Issues with ICO, issues with ISC, issues with SC & issues with Admin....have I missed any out 😉

If there is any creditor that didn't submit a complaint against the administration they are NUTS!

Administration leaked my personal info to a 3rd party and refused to acknowledge their mistake so ICO was informed.

I really really really hate bad process.

If there is any creditor that didn't submit a complaint against the administration they are NUTS!

Administration leaked my personal info to a 3rd party and refused to acknowledge their mistake so ICO was informed.

I really really really hate bad process.

It is a blame / claim culture and Industry that we live in today and this really really does get on my tits.

It is a blame / claim culture and Industry that we live in today and this really really does get on my tits.
You've framed how society has split. Some believe they aren't accountable for their actions and "its not my fault" is their attitude.

If you believe the admin and others did a sterling job you have a right to that opinion.

Looks like we now know the reason the money was being funnelled into the community trust. Strange the way that worked out.

Looks like we now know the reason the money was being funnelled into the community trust. Strange the way that worked out.

A hell of an accusation that Wlatic. Quite an undeserving one too actually. That said, if the club (either the Admins, or Talal) thought the Community Trust to be the best way for the funds to be used, then it doesn't sound a bad idea to me ... or most, I suspect.

PS, I presume that it's this which has prompted your comment:

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2021/june/Wigan-Athletic-Community-Trust-appoint-two-new-Trustees/

A hell of an accusation that Wlatic. Quite an undeserving one too actually. That said, if the club (either the Admins, or Talal) thought the Community Trust to be the best way for the funds to be used, then it doesn't sound a bad idea to me ... or most, I suspect.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2021/june/Wigan-Athletic-Community-Trust-appoint-two-new-Trustees/

The club have nothing to do with the "supporters club" money.

Its not an accusation, the "supporters club" put out the survey the other day "asking" people what the money should be used for, every option was funding the Community Trust. I'll be happy to confirm I'm wrong, when all of a sudden the open and transparent "supporters club" open up their records for public review and confirm:
1) The money donated to them wasn't given as a loan to the admin
2) They weren't an agent of the administration
3) They completely fulfilled the obligations of the initial crowd funder

The club have nothing to do with the "supporters club" money.

Its not an accusation, the "supporters club" put out the survey the other day "asking" people what the money should be used for, every option was funding the Community Trust. I'll be happy to confirm I'm wrong, when all of a sudden the open and transparent "supporters club" open up their records for public review and confirm:
1) The money donated to them wasn't given as a loan to the admin
2) They weren't an agent of the administration
3) They completely fulfilled the obligations of the initial crowd funder

Sorry, of course ...... I forgot it had been returned to the SC.

Your use of the word "funnelled" certainly sounds like an accusation of something underhand. Given, distributed, donated, and many more all sound way better than "funnelled".

What "obligations" of the first crowd-funder do you believe to be outstanding?

Are they saying the monies returned is now going to the community trust? If so I don't think 'most' will think it's the best way for the funds to be used. A fair few on here thought it shouldn't be to charities but helping club...be that facilities, stadium or even a vote to those who contributed to the original fundraising....🤔

Are they saying the monies returned is now going to the community trust? If so I don't think 'most' will think it's the best way for the funds to be used. A fair few on here thought it shouldn't be to charities but helping club...be that facilities, stadium or even a vote to those who contributed to the original fundraising....🤔

I think only Wlatic is saying - or suggesting - that Jock. The options though were on the SC website survey, below. No mention of a decision (or apportionment) yet.

https://www.wiganathleticsupportersclub.co.uk/the-supporters-fund-survey/

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6QTWRVJ

Am I missing something? All I can see is that Caroline has been appointed as a trustee. There's no mention of money as far as I can see.

I think only Wlatic is saying - or suggesting - that Jock. The options though were on the SC website survey, below. No mention of a decision (or apportionment) yet.

https://www.wiganathleticsupportersclub.co.uk/the-supporters-fund-survey/

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6QTWRVJ

The small mercy in this would be that they have a public reporting requirement:
https://register-of-charities.chari...h/-/charity-details/4033507/financial-history

Currently doing some legal research and taking some advice in regards to forcing the supporters club to make public their involvements with this public money. Doesn't look promising, but its worth a try.

Am I missing something? All I can see is that Caroline has been appointed as a trustee. There's no mention of money as far as I can see.
They put out a survey about how to use the money:
Option A was charity via Community Trust
Option B was charity via Community Trust
Option C? It was do something for the supporters who donated... Sorry I was incorrect it was charity via Community Trust
Option D I really dont have to say!

Last edited:
So:
- they took donations which were subsequently refunded
- they asked how the money should be spent
- people were able to cast their vote(s) for a number of options
- the results have been published

Is there really a murky side to this, or are some people simply trying (seemingly thanklessly) to do their best for the good of their club, town and community?

https://www.wiganathleticsupportersclub.co.uk/supporters-club-update-30th-june-2021/

So:
- they took donations which were subsequently refunded
- they asked how the money should be spent
- people were able to cast their vote(s) for a number of options
- the results have been published

Is there really a murky side to this, or are some people simply trying (seemingly thanklessly) to do their best for the good of their club, town and community?

https://www.wiganathleticsupportersclub.co.uk/supporters-club-update-30th-june-2021/

Personally i thought the majority of the money should've been invested in some way into the club as that was the spirit it was originally given in. But it's money i gave without expecting it back, it's not gone into someone's personal account and gone towards a good cause that will help people in the local area. Even if it wasn't my preference, there was a vote - I have no idea how many people voted or if many commented with an alternative option but if the majority said they wanted the money to be used in this way then i accept that. Hopefully the money can make a positive difference for the elderly people who've likely suffered more than most since Lockdown started.