Super League. | Vital Football

Super League.

Chippy_Tea

Vital Squad Member
The subject has been discussed several times tonight on 606 do you think its inevitable it will happen and probably sooner rather than later?

What exactly is a Super League?
is it where you get the best teams from other countries to play each other over a season,how would you get promoted/relegated?

I didn't listen, but, to answer Coco's question, my understanding is there wouldn't be for the founders.
A thought crossed my mind this morning - presumably the clubs would be thrown out (if they didn't 'resign') from UEFA competitions.
Where would they sign players from?
Unless that threw up a whole new legal question about a transfer ban?

what is the point of a competition if you cannot be relegated for 20 years, I hope this doesn't happen.

What about the European Super League?

Der Spiegel claims Real Madrid has joined forces with AC Milan, Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Manchester United to form a group of seven sides who went behind the back of Uefa, European football's governing body, to discuss forming a European Super League.

As part of their plans, the clubs allegedly discussed "an option for leaving the national leagues and their football associations behind entirely".

Bayern Munich are supposed to have explored the legal complexities of the breakaway and one of the documents Der Spiegel says it has seen is a "binding term sheet" which 16 clubs would sign to form the Super League.

The new competition, it is claimed, would involve 11 of Europe's biggest clubs, known as the "founders", along with five "initial guests".

The so-called founders, who would include the seven clubs named above along with Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Paris St-Germain, would not face relegation and would be guaranteed membership for 20 years.

Der Spiegel reports that the five "initial guests," according to the document, would be Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan, Marseille and Roma.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

Unless I'm missing something won't they all be founder members so there would be no change at all in who is in the league,if so then that's going to get very boring after the novelty has worn off,how many times would you play Utd over a season,going to away games would be expensive if you are traveling abroad every other week,what about the FA Cup,would the English teams be allowed to miss games in the league to take part?

Haven’t read everything but what I’ve heard is that the the super league clubs would have to resign from their country’s respective FA’s, so a resounding NO! from me.

Sounds to me like some people getting carried away with the idea of making more money and they will soon come back to earth. No way will the the football leagues that would be affected, let this nonsense go ahead.

This rears its ugly head every now and then..... probably close to any negotiations about tv revenue split from the CL I wouldn't be surprised....

If it replaces the current Champions league format, then I am all for it, but not at the expense of leaving the Premier League, I think we all like the league games and the other trophies are a distraction

Looks like the idea is dead-in-the water. Excellent news if true.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...efa-to-reject-plans-for-european-super-league

it had to be , I just watched Sunday supplement and Martin Samuel's take on it. The German, Spanish and Italian league are dead because they are so predictable and want another league based on the Premier where it hopes to get more money that could sink a ship.

I am glad it is dead because we here would be daft to join such a league and I don't think we would have been invited anyway as rumours had it that we were opposed to the idea anyway.