Super Kal | Page 3 | Vital Football

Super Kal

He played well for Paul in the 4th division. Hopefully if he makes the bench he may make some sort of contribution in the 2nd Division. Big jump though.

Portsmouth fans are crying because kal said he is joining a massive club
Old boring shyte small fan base and rugby town this and that does get annoying when small clubs like portsmouth take pxss whe they only average 15 thousand with no massive clubs to compete with

It always makes me laugh reading other fans comments when a player joins us and describes us as a big or massive club.
Nowt like jealous fans crying into their scarves :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :Fingers:

It always makes me laugh reading other fans comments when a player joins us and describes us as a big or massive club.
Nowt like jealous fans crying into their scarves :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Fingers:

Read their comments on Naysmith when Portsmouth announced he was leaving and noone knew where he was going, they didn't rate him then, perhaps some of the later comments are stupid but for him to say he has left to join a massive club is also stupid and Portsmouth fans expressing their objections to this is somewhat justified and not jealousy, we are not a bigger club than portsmouth.

I've read Portsmouths fans comments regarding Kals abilities and the comparable size of our clubs. I'm not really fussed which is the bigger club.
I'm sure Naismiths comments were tongue in cheek and made to wind up the Pompey fans.
But like I said I find it amusing when the usual Wigan comments are trotted out.

All out of context.
Listen to his interview he didn't say he left Portsmouth so he could join a massive club.
What he has done is gone up a level and improved his wages and joined a massive club (in comparison to a lot of teams he has been competing against).

Nowhere does Naysmith say that Wigan are a bigger club than Portsmouth. Neither does he say he has left for a "bigger" club.
He merely states that he believes Wigan are massive club and he is happy to be joining such a club.
This is just another example of sour grapes by Pompey fans who think they are a "bigger" club than they actually are now.
Big clubs are not judged by the size of their crowd, but their achievements in recent history. In that sense we are "bigger" than Pompey, athough I do not hold with all this "we are bigger then you" crap that people spout

Lets not forget that the team that got us to the Prem was unproven at this level. Just because they haven't had a chance to play at a high level doesn't mean they can't hack it.

As for why we've signed him it now means we are doubled up in each attacking position. If signing him for free means we can invest elsewhere then that is fine with me.

As a 6 foot plus winger/striker there is something of the Lee McCulloch about him, lets hope he turns out to be just as good.

Interesting article on the three amigos site about this lad. They've an insight from one of the Pompey websites on him. Those of a rose tinted spectacle persuasion may want to avoid it to ensure their blind faith isn't shaken.

Interesting article on the three amigos site about this lad. They've an insight from one of the Pompey websites on him. Those of a rose tinted spectacle persuasion may want to avoid it to ensure their blind faith isn't shaken.

The same lot said Cookie was a one trick pony and were glad he'd gone

Indeed they did. However emotions were raw given he 'let them down'. However with this lad you can't argue the stats support their assertion this time around and they genuinely don't seem fussed he's gone.

No. Those that can't form rational judgements and have the default response that he must be the best thing since Messi given we've signed him. Doing so by refusing to acknowledge and ignoring the evidence that he's no better and statistically worse than what we've got so is therefore unlikely to improve us in any significant way.

No. Those that can't form rational judgements and have the default response that he must be the best thing since Messi given we've signed him. Doing so by refusing to acknowledge and ignoring the evidence that he's no better and statistically worse than what we've got so is therefore unlikely to improve us in any significant way.

Not one person has argued that he is 'the best thing since Messi', nor is anyone insinuating that by signing for Wigan Athletic he must be a tremendously high calibre player - you've made that up.

It is entirely rational to wait until someone has played games before judging their ability, and somewhat more irrational to identify a player's exact worth and value to the team without having seem them play a single minute for the club he has signed for.

The 'evidence' and 'statistics' you cite are very subjectively interpreted - people see what they want to see. It is impossible to compare his ability to other players in his position, since neither you nor anybody else has actually seen him play alongside his new team-mates for this club.

It is entirely impossible to ascertain how good or bad a player Kal Naismith will be for Wigan Athletic at this point, nobody how much you may want to come to a definitive conclusion based on highly interpretive statistics you've hastily gathered from the internet.

There's nothing wrong in hoping for the best or at the very least waiting before passing judgement on a player good or bad - it's called being a fan.

Last edited:
Not one person has argued that he is 'the best thing since Messi, nor is anyone insinuating that by signing for Wigan Athletic he must be a tremendously high calibre player - you've made that up.

It is entirely rational to wait until someone has played games before judging their ability, and somewhat more irrational to identify a player's exact worth and value to the team without having seem them play a single minute for the club he has signed for.

The 'evidence' and 'statistics' you cite are very subjectively interpreted - people see what they want to see. It is impossible to compare his ability to other players in his position, since neither you nor anybody else has actually seen him play alongside his new team-mates for this club.

It is entirely impossible to ascertain how good or bad a player Kal Naismith will be for Wigan Athletic at this point, nobody how much you may want to come to a definitive conclusion based on highly interpretive statistics you've hastily gathered from the internet.

There's nothing wrong in hoping for the best or at the very least waiting before passing judgement on a player good or bad - it's called being a fan.

Highly interpretative stats? They are black and white, easily comparable against others we have in that position and are definitive based on a relatively high sample size. Factor in his age, the years played at certain levels, the interest or lack of from other clubs and the overwhelming observations of those who have watched him week in week out allows one to form an opinion from a variety of sources. Yours just seems to be based on the fact we've signed him so automatically with the rose tinted specs on believe he's the real deal without looking into the bigger picture of him or how he'll fit in or improve us.

It is also possible to determine with a degree of probability if he will be a good player or not for us - it is why clubs have scouting networks and all other manner of stats available to them before they sign players. This signing seems to based on the fact he played well in a dozen games at two leagues below our current one for our current boss who had previously transfer listed him. Hoping for the best can sometimes be interpreted as blind faith, but having it it doesn't automatically disqualify others from being fan who prefer to make judgments using a greater amount of evidence.

I remeber reading similar negative predictions about numerous players we signed from other clubs who did well for us. This could be taken from the thread after we signed Perks after his release from Blackpool.

No need for faith it's just most people have seen this same situation enough times in the past to not fall into the trap of writing off a new signing before they've played a game.

I haven't seen anybody go overboard in a positive way about this signing. Most I've seen are hedging their bets. The only strong opinions I've seen are those slagging off the signing already. What colour tinted specs do you think they wear?

Those with clear lenses enabling 'em to see the bigger picture :tophat:

Highly interpretative stats? They are black and white, easily comparable against others we have in that position and are definitive based on a relatively high sample size. Factor in his age, the years played at certain levels, the interest or lack of from other clubs and the overwhelming observations of those who have watched him week in week out allows one to form an opinion from a variety of sources. Yours just seems to be based on the fact we've signed him so automatically with the rose tinted specs on believe he's the real deal without looking into the bigger picture of him or how he'll fit in or improve us.

It is also possible to determine with a degree of probability if he will be a good player or not for us - it is why clubs have scouting networks and all other manner of stats available to them before they sign players. This signing seems to based on the fact he played well in a dozen games at two leagues below our current one for our current boss who had previously transfer listed him. Hoping for the best can sometimes be interpreted as blind faith, but having it it doesn't automatically disqualify others from being fan who prefer to make judgments using a greater amount of evidence.

I think your doing Cookie a disservice at the very least if you think he would sign a player that he does not think is up to it. Maybe he sees the lad fitting into our style of play. Personally I think enough has been said about the lad and we should wait to let his feet do the talking