Super Kal | Vital Football

Super Kal

jeffs right

Vital Football Hero
Naismith.
Championship standard? To make numbers up? Roberts replacement on bench?
Any other reasons for this signing? Remember we have stepped up a level.

3 year deal suggest’s he’s rated enough to play a part. Rather than a one season squad filler. I’ve seen Premier League youngsters step down to Championship level on loan and look way off the pace. Meanwhile we had a near full squad who took the jump from League One to the Championship in their stride.

Last edited:
That squad that dropped would not have dropped down in the first place if Powell and Grigg had stayed fit that season. If we'd do not sign players of their quality or better we will be straight back down again.

Seems to be two threads running on this. He's no better than what we have and given the step up in standard I fail to see the point in signing him other than to fill out a squad.

Regardless of what role he holds next season, he's still a very uninspiring signing for a Championship club.

Absolutely right moonay! Who are these people who think they know so much about this new signing? Have they been watching Portsmouth as well as Wigan? Are they able to compare how he played under Cook with how he played under Jackett? Do they know how he will play with his new team mates? Do they know for certain he won't be able to make the jump into the Championship?
No, do they f**k!

Last season was the highest level he has ever played at. It was also Massey's. Consensus was that he was out of his depth and certainly would be at Championship level. However his stats were way above those of Naismith. He's 26, supposed peak of his career yet no one else at this level was or ever has been remotely interested in signing him. That suggests, let alone people's observations, that he hasn't enough quality to be an improvement on what we have and will be at squad player at best. Cook may be able to eek out marginal improvements in players performances but he isn't Jesus and cannot turn water into wine.

This is merely a return to your MO
No point in debating this with you!

And your inability to provide a coherent counter argument. Post was factual based and conclusion derived from those, though feel free to provide contrary factual evidence to discount it.

Com on MiW. We both know that there isn't any "factual evidence" to counter your (understandable) underwhelmed assessment of this signing. That said, I reckon that many supporters of many clubs have been similarly underwhelmed by such signings in the past.

You may well be proven right.

Then again, you might not ................... just like your views re Cooky.
;o)

Hopefully I will be Moonay, just cannot see it on this one however. If anyone actually thinks he's an improvement on what we already have then I'd be interested to read their reasons why.

On another note it appears we're back to normal on here this last week with near hysteria whenever anyone voices an opinion that deviates from the party line. Shame.

Who knows he could be ok. A reserve or bench warmer like Cookys other signings Roberts Hunt Bruce Cole Walker.
Remember most of last season's regulars were inherited by Cooky.
We have no idea of the quality of signings Cooky will make but his bench warmers haven't been too bad up to now in their odd games.
Maybe money will change things and then we may see what sort of players Cook can attract.
It's early days yet.

This reminds me of the muted reaction when we signed Dunkley after Oxford fans were saying how average he was. I never doubted they were telling the truth but we got a hell of a lot more out of him than they ever saw.

Cook worked with Naismith before - he saw him every day in training for a couple of years while we've seen him play maybe twice against us and thats probably about it. Cook knows more about Naismiths potential than anyone else as he's the only manager who ever got him to play to it, he clearly believes he can get him to do it again and if he can we'll have found a gem. So lets back Cooks judgement as he's not done a lot to make us doubt him so far.

I can understand signing this lad . But come on lets be real a three year deal who else would do that for a free from league 1

Have to agree, not an exciting signing but could be a useful one. Reminds me of some of the old school signings we used to make, possibly similar to lee mcculloch. Haven't been impressed on the few occasions i've seen him play. But hopefully he will produce when called upon.

I know it tends to be the Wigan way to slag everyone off and always look at the negative but hey, in Cooky we trust......let’s just have faith and back his and his management team’s judgement

You'd never have thought he'd just masterminded one of Wigan's most successful ever seasons as a Football League club - one realistic signing that isn't a multi-million pound acquisition and apparently the wheels have fallen off and we're destined for League One already! :slap:

As was said after the Perkins and Dunkley signings when they'd already been written off as 'unambitious' signings, can we just wait for them to play a game before criticising them?