Sunderland. | Vital Football

Sunderland.

DEEPING IMP

Vital 1st Team Regular
Before the new owners came in Sunderland employed twice as many people as Newcastle. Not one selling sponsorship. Paid a company £1000 per month to move plastic flowers around the various rooms. Spent £30000 on a rebranding exercise only to be told they are an old fashioned football club. No wonder they were in such a mess.

Before the new owners came in Sunderland employed twice as many people as Newcastle. Not one selling sponsorship. Paid a company £1000 per month to move plastic flowers around the various rooms. Spent £30000 on a rebranding exercise only to be told they are an old fashioned football club. No wonder they were in such a mess.

Someone’s been reading the Daily Telegraph...

Have to admit something ? I dont care about Sunderland and there excesses.

Explains why we ran up a debt well over £100,000,000. "Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves" is a saying I remember well from my childhood. "Don't waste 100,000 pennies a month shifting plastic flowers around and you might not run up crippling debts" is a good one too.
Talking of plastic flowers I'm reminded of something I heard of when I was a civil servant in the early seventies. On the last day of the financial year one of the bosses sent out a member of staff to spend hundreds on plastic flowers. Apparently if the money wasn't spent then their budget for the next year would be reduced; absolutely ludicrous waste of taxpayers' money.

Couldn't believe the plant pot contract.

My mind set is very money conscious, so I'd love football clubs to really, really, break down what they spend money on. I bet there's all sorts of waste in there.

Best thing about plastic flowers, is that once you've bought them, u don't have any further maintenance costs at all ..
Hmmmm

conference facilities.
plastic flowers with the ability to move from room to room.

any other hidden costs we need to factor into the ground move?

Aside from the off-pitch spending I thought Martin O'Neill got the blame. Same as at Aston Villa he brought in a load of players on high wages that they got saddled with and then managers following him (at both clubs) couldn;t recover the team because of the financial side of not being able to move expensive players on.

His problem at Villa was that they were in Europe, and the Chairman decided to take the money for Ashley Young, Stewart Downing, James Milner etc and didn't re-invest in the squad.

Aside from the off-pitch spending I thought Martin O'Neill got the blame. Same as at Aston Villa he brought in a load of players on high wages that they got saddled with and then managers following him (at both clubs) couldn;t recover the team because of the financial side of not being able to move expensive players on.

Can't blame O'Neill for spending money he was given. It's not his job to check the spreadsheets.

Plastic flower gate - It's up there with Leeds paying out thousands per year to rent Leeds United coloured tropical fish.