Sunderland | Vital Football

Sunderland

RotherhitheGill

Vital 1st Team Regular
Perceptions, until earlier today I thought Sunderland where going to win the league. With one result (and what the other teams did) I think they might have blown it and are now looking for the play offs (hope they lose, big time Charly's who where on their tin pot tour of the lower divisions ).

If they don't go up, what chance Evans goes there next season? They've got the budget that would suit Evans, and he is proving what he can do here with a very small budget. I would not be surprised to see it happen.

The current situation seems to point to a lot of former Premier league sides in our league next season. Wigan look like getting out of it at the bottom. Sheffield Wednesday seem almost certain to come down.Hull and possibly one other will probably get promoted. Bolton and maybe even Bradford could get promoted.I definitely think it looks like there might well be quite a few with much larger pockets than Scally next season. But should be good for crowds if allowed back by August.
Crowd wise with Lincoln looking very unlikely maybe Blackpool would be the best for us financially to join Hull and Peterborough.

Even if the fans are allowed to come back.
The main concern is how many fans will return to football. Almost eighteen months have passed since fans have seen live games not all clubs will draw as many fans as before the shutdown as for some the habit will be broken. Bigger clubs will be reasonable fan base could be ok but, those in a tighter position might be looking at going part time to survive. It won't take long for clubs go out of business if fans can't permanently return in August.

Even if the fans are allowed to come back.
The main concern is how many fans will return to football. Almost eighteen months have passed since fans have seen live games not all clubs will draw as many fans as before the shutdown as for some the habit will be broken. Bigger clubs will be reasonable fan base could be ok but, those in a tighter position might be looking at going part time to survive. It won't take long for clubs go out of business if fans can't permanently return in August.

I don’t follow that logic. Surely just as with pubs reopening, people are counting down the days, aren't they?

Also don’t forget shops have been shut the same time. I don’t have much hope that the wife’s shopping habit will have been broken just yet!

I don’t follow that logic. Surely just as with pubs reopening, people are counting down the days, aren't they?

Also don’t forget shops have been shut the same time. I don’t have much hope that the wife’s shopping habit will have been broken just yet!

I hope you are right, but online shopping has become popular and a lot of people have noticed supermarket beer is a lot cheaper than pubs. The same goes to a lesser extent with football for the same price as a ticket for football is about the same as a round of golf. Nothing is guaranteed.

While we are talking about teams above their station............

Nedum Onuoha
Former Manchester City defender on BBC Radio 5 Live

"For me, as a Manchester City fan, the Paris St-Germain tie is a juicy one, that's the tie that I've waited a long time to see.

"I think it was 22 years ago I was watching City against Gillingham at the old Wembley for the Second Division play-off final and to now see them come up against one of the best teams in the world..........."

Surely he meant another one of the worlds best teams?

While we are talking about teams above their station............

Nedum Onuoha
Former Manchester City defender on BBC Radio 5 Live

"For me, as a Manchester City fan, the Paris St-Germain tie is a juicy one, that's the tie that I've waited a long time to see.

"I think it was 22 years ago I was watching City against Gillingham at the old Wembley for the Second Division play-off final and to now see them come up against one of the best teams in the world..........."

Surely he meant another one of the worlds best teams?
It was Halsey United we were playing, not Man City

Nobody used to pay any mind to Sunderland except when they spent a fortune for Scottish fowards who’d fail to save them. Then two things -the final against Leeds and When the Boat Comes in and suddenly the North East was cool in a new Merseyside sort of a way. They got self conscious, started taking themselves seriously and, frankly, it ruined them.

Sunderland til I die was a great watch.
Almost a text book example of how not to run a football club.
Remember the Will Grigg transfer on deadline day.
Their chairman acted like he was signing Ronaldo and was suckered into a bad deal.
I much prefer Scally’s method of thinking about it for five minutes and concluding “nah! f”ck em”

The Stadium of Light is grandiosely named but a fine stadium and the Roker Roar has transferred. I concur with much of the criticism and reservations about Sunderland but it's a great away day and their fans are more agreeable in the flesh than online.

Who do people think are the nicest fans they've encountered.

I was really impressed with the Baggies fans I met in the Livvy in our Championship days. However, number one slot for me goes to Cheltenham. 1 1 draw at their place in 2007. They were so polite they almost seemed apologetic when they scored. They weren't even upset at letting in a goal scored by Bas Savage, enough to send the average oppo fan into a fit of both rage and incredulity.

Any other offers?

I was really impressed with the Baggies fans I met in the Livvy in our Championship days. However, number one slot for me goes to Cheltenham. 1 1 draw at their place in 2007. They were so polite they almost seemed apologetic when they scored. They weren't even upset at letting in a goal scored by Bas Savage, enough to send the average oppo fan into a fit of both rage and incredulity.

Any other offers?
Scunthorpe a were fantastic well at least the ones I have met are.

Any other offers?

Taking that one step further I think that the Bagies Stewards for our game up there were outstanding. Our lads were brilliant that day, played the Baggies of the park. WBA had three breakaway shots only. Problem was they scored with every shot.

It was also the last time I met up with my Brother in law who sadly passed away with a heart attack not long after.

Talking of stewards, the absolute worst I came across was Pompey.
I had a prick threatening to chuck me out because I stood clapping when we attacked, shot and nearly scored .
They were tossers for the full ninety.

Nicest fans I've met were a tube carriage full of City fans (yes, that day).
I jumped on the tube as the doors were closing only to find it full of sky blue and me standing in my Gills shirt.
After the initial bit of banter, we got chatting and I walked up Wembley way with them (got some funny looks).
They were a great bunch of lads, very knowledgeable of our team and genuine "old school" City, not the new breed that have only known success.