Sunderland | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sunderland

They are now winless in five in all competitions and were knocked out of the FA Cup in the first round by League 2 Mansfield.
They failed to even make the playoffs last season after finishing 8th on points per game.

I take your point, Lark. But sitting eighth with a game in hand over those above is a pretty good position to be in after 13 games. If I was a Sunlan fan and thought about the past two seasons objectively, I wouldn`t be too disheartened. Sitting atop in #1 position is a difficult thing to hang on to, ask Ipswich or Portsmouth who sat on to the top placing for most of the 18/19 season. We did something similar too. It`s the run-in that seems to be the most important vehicle for momentum. Easy for a fan to say, yes. And I doubt that a manager would want anything other than to be sat at the top of the table at any time, or all the time, but - it`s a funny old game, you know ;)

I take your point, Lark. But sitting eighth with a game in hand over those above is a pretty good position to be in after 13 games. If I was a Sunlan fan and thought about the past two seasons objectively, I wouldn`t be too disheartened. Sitting atop in #1 position is a difficult thing to hang on to, ask Ipswich or Portsmouth who sat on to the top placing for most of the 18/19 season. We did something similar too. It`s the run-in that seems to be the most important vehicle for momentum. Easy for a fan to say, yes. And I doubt that a manager would want anything other than to be sat at the top of the table at any time, or all the time, but - it`s a funny old game, you know ;)

Maybe it's a bit of forward planning? If the season gets stopped again due to Covid, and everything's decided on a PPG basis, better to be in the promotion places already rather than nicely poised but just outside.

On the river, where they used to build the boats.

If nowt else, they brought us the Lake Poets.

On the river, where they used to build the boats.

If nowt else, they brought us the Lake Poets.

They built ships not boats, that why they are known as the Mackems. On the Tyne they they mainly repaired the ships, and are known as the Takems.

They built ships not boats, that why they are known as the Mackems. On the Tyne they they mainly repaired the ships, and are known as the Takems.
The Roone,
In the first verse of the song, Shipyards, he uses the word Boats and not ships.

The Roone - my mates a "Mackem" he says it's "take them" (Takem) and "make them" (Mackem). However, he does say the actual origin is somewhat vague.

Many of their fans were prematurely celebrating the appointment of Gus Poyet as the new manager.
Then it didn’t happen.
Apparently he was seen in the Mackem Head, half way up the........

Many of their fans were prematurely celebrating the appointment of Gus Poyet as the new manager.
Then it didn’t happen.
That's cos he should have gone half way down.....

Then it didn’t happen.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but wasn’t it once rumoured that gus poyet was gonna become our manager? Does anyone else remember this or did I just dream it?!

A 0-1 loss at home and Sunlan fans apparently not happy about appointment of new manager Lee Johnson. They`d expected a much bigger name, but it seems that Sotiris Papagiannopoulos is only 30 and wished to remain at AIK in Sweden.

I thought boats were submarines and ships were surface vessels. We need someone from the Royal Navy (or Wayne) to come in and put us all right.

A 0-1 loss at home and Sunlan fans apparently not happy about appointment of new manager Lee Johnson. They`d expected a much bigger name, but it seems that Sotiris Papagiannopoulos is only 30 and wished to remain at AIK in Sweden.
The guy needs a break. Only appointed at 1pm before the game.

I thought boats were submarines and ships were surface vessels. We need someone from the Royal Navy (or Wayne) to come in and put us all right.

Quite right, Mark. Sub is a boat, not a ship. You can usually get a boat onto a ship but not the other way around. Though that might be a bit tricky with a Trident sub..

I can't imagine what it's like to support a big club, still less one down on its luck. I expect it's tough but tough in a different way to our tough. I can extend some sympathy to Sunderland fans on that understanding but Lee Johnson, can't stand him.