Sunday viewing | Vital Football

Sunday viewing

If you want to suffer all over again or view it for the first time, our first play off final defeat against AFC Bournemouth is being shown at 15:00 on Sunday 24th May. Here's the link: https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-ne...fptjucy3fz6sdcjxvm0dk7wwyfzfah_pjlni-ly-ugwjo

A proud moment that day when Big Keith lead the team out, not a dry eye in the house considering the events of the previous summer and the expectations for that season. Strange to concede five after the solid defensive performances that year and of course we had only just beaten them at Dean Court
l travelled on the special train that day, only pulled in about half an hour before ko so all a bit of a rush. That season felt a success even though it wasn’t ( if that makes sense)

A proud moment that day when Big Keith lead the team out, not a dry eye in the house considering the events of the previous summer and the expectations for that season. Strange to concede five after the solid defensive performances that year and of course we had only just beaten them at Dean Court
l travelled on the special train that day, only pulled in about half an hour before ko so all a bit of a rush. That season felt a success even though it wasn’t ( if that makes sense)
Yes I know what you mean. It brought a tear to my eye to see my club at what was then the national stadium. I didn’t mind losing this final but the Southend defeat 2 years later was very hard to take.

Yes I know what you mean. It brought a tear to my eye to see my club at what was then the national stadium. I didn’t mind losing this final but the Southend defeat 2 years later was very hard to take.

Very true, should have won that...Yeo goal ruled out when clearly on side at 0-0. I certainly felt more dejected second time around.

We were well beaten that day, but after nearly going out of existence, just being there was a joy in itself and in the end the result didn’t really matter to me. Good memories and certainly a better day than the Southend one two years later.

17 years ago tomorrow. Great day out.
Still wonder what might have been if it had been 1-1 at half time. We seemed to lose shape early in the second trying to get back into it straight away allowing them two break away goals but the pride that team gave us that day meant the result wasn't the thing that mattered.

I might put together a photo gallery for the Front Page, but it'll only include Keith Alexander, our players and supporters.

They'd sussed us out IIRC, I'll watch the replay again, but my impression from the day was they'd worked out Bimmo took all the throw in's and corners. The moment they regained possession the keeper threw the ball into the vacant area or they pushed the ball into that space and simply attacked down his wing.

They'd sussed us out IIRC, I'll watch the replay again, but my impression from the day was they'd worked out Bimmo took all the throw in's and corners. The moment they regained possession the keeper threw the ball into the vacant area or they pushed the ball into that space and simply attacked down his wing.

Hi SB
Ive just watched the 02/03 squad catch up zoom thingy where they discussed the final plus the semis amongst other things......they conceded that Bournemouth were the better side and at half time they thought they hadn’t played well enough so second half changed their mindset and obviously got picked off. Yeo, Morgs, Bimmo,Weaver involved and Bloomer I think, worth a watch

I was just a bit closer to the corner flag in the middle tier, just a few seats from the two tier section...cracking views all round

I remember driving down and pulling into the M5 services near Worcester nd could not believe how many fellow Imps were there, my company had a box at the Millennium Stadium so as no one else wanted it I had it for both play off matches, must admit the Southend game really hurt as we should have won that day while after what had happened the Bournemouth game was just a good day out.

I remember driving down and pulling into the M5 services near Worcester nd could not believe how many fellow Imps were there, my company had a box at the Millennium Stadium so as no one else wanted it I had it for both play off matches, must admit the Southend game really hurt as we should have won that day while after what had happened the Bournemouth game was just a good day out.

I went down in the car with Notty and a couple of fans who were on an older forum at the time, one of the guys was the American fan (Jerkass?), and the other banged on and on about his dream he'd had (Notty will know more!) Parked in a hotel car park because Skanky was staying there and we blagged his parking spot (thanks mate!)

I'd been made redundant shortly before but still had my company car so there was no sparing the horses!

I seem to remember Jerkass did a piece with Radio Lincolnshire from my car on the way down?

Terrific, terrific day, everyone happy and together. I also remember being slightly stunned at the stadium when you had climbed the steps to the stand and could see it properly, I had never seen the Imps play in anything like it before, I think we won a few friends that day elsewhere as almost all of us stayed for the ceremony IIRC?

A Preston supporting friend made a few quid after I remarked that Ben Futcher was very likely to get on the scoresheet!

Like everyone else I couldn't bear staying for the Southend presentation, a completely different feeling, I think we all felt that was our time and our turn.

I went down in the car with Notty and a couple of fans who were on an older forum at the time, one of the guys was the American fan (Jerkass?), and the other banged on and on about his dream he'd had (Notty will know more!) Parked in a hotel car park because Skanky was staying there and we blagged his parking spot (thanks mate!)

I'd been made redundant shortly before but still had my company car so there was no sparing the horses!

I seem to remember Jerkass did a piece with Radio Lincolnshire from my car on the way down?

Terrific, terrific day, everyone happy and together. I also remember being slightly stunned at the stadium when you had climbed the steps to the stand and could see it properly, I had never seen the Imps play in anything like it before, I think we won a few friends that day elsewhere as almost all of us stayed for the ceremony IIRC?

A Preston supporting friend made a few quid after I remarked that Ben Futcher was very likely to get on the scoresheet!

Like everyone else I couldn't bear staying for the Southend presentation, a completely different feeling, I think we all felt that was our time and our turn.

Did I travel down with you mate? I seem to remember travelling down with Impster and Leigh Curtis, who was the Echo reporter at the time. I thought we met up there in Cardiff.

For the second final, I seem to recall we did travel together, but parked in Newport and got the train in?

Still, I can't remember last week...

Last edited: