Sunday Chimes - The links | Page 5 | Vital Football

Sunday Chimes - The links

A rare but welcome letter on the Macca saga and a flash back to a great game of the past......

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?548293">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

<BR><b>Front Page - Financial Fair Play Rules</b><BR><BR>The FFP rules have been invoked and a £49m fine has been handed out to both Manchester City and Paris St Germain. That of course will come out of the petty cash for these cash rich clubs but should they be allowed to just flout the rules. I gather too that their Champions League squads will be limited to twenty one.<BR><BR> Chuck them out of Europe, Chimes says, as these rules were intended to stop another Portsmouth happening and they MUST be firmly enforced. The Court of Arbitration for Sport hopefully will back up any UEFA decision although no appeal looks likely now.<BR><BR>Based in Lausanne the CAS has teeth and the best example of that is how they backed the Gibraltar Football Association over a long battle to become full members of UEFA despite huge pressure from Spain.<BR><BR>The other clubs guilty of breaking the rules were Russian sides Zenit St Petersburg, Rubin Kazan and Anzhi Makhachkala, Turkish clubs Galatasaray, Bursaspor and Trabzonspor and Bulgarian club Levski Sofia.<BR><BR>By the way where does all this money collected in fines by UEFA go to?<BR><BR><b>View from the Hump</b><BR><BR>Pompey announced the release of a whole swathe of players this week and one name stood out for fans as tinged with more than a bit of sadness.<BR><BR>Ashley Harris sprung onto the first team scene as an eighteen year old and became a darling of the Fratton End. In truth though he looked pretty at times he always seemed to struggle to go past a player. He had spells on loan but failed to impress and that was what eventually cost him.<BR><BR>In my opinion his best game was in the friendly with IFK; he looked an assured player spreading the ball around but he was surrounded by kids but could not reproduce that form when in first team action. As a local Purbrook lad let`s hope he can come back somewhere, sometime. Maybe at Gainsborough Trinity where I gather he has signed. For the records Gainsborough were a League club way back between 1891 and 1912.<BR><BR><b>Obituaries</b><BR><BR>Sad to note the passing of the Royal Portsmouth Dockyard League after one hundred and one years. Entries for next season had only reached five last week when the management committee decided to pull the plug and fold.<BR><BR>I suppose it is a sign of the times that men do not want to play football on a Saturday anymore as the demand for more 5 or 6 aside midweek games and the traditional game suffers. Not that long ago there were six divisions and the league tables seemed cover a whole page in the Sports Mail.<BR><BR>The Dockyard League will be sadly missed.<BR><BR><b>Features Page</b><BR><BR>Over the years Toast has featured a number of different guest writers who have told their stories. The Sunday Chimes is pleased to announce a great new venture.<BR><BR>Regular readers will remember Ed`s stories of his trip to Bury, the world`s ugliest player amongst others. After a lot of cajoling and a few beers Ed has eventually decided to write his autobiography. The working title is 'A Short story` and Ed as agreed that we can serialise it here on Sunday Chimes!<BR><BR>We have a man here who met all the great players in the 1950s and still has their autographs, parked fans` bike in his front room, was at the 1966 World Cup Final, met George Best at the Cliff; the list in endless and will make a good read.<BR><BR>So keep your eyes open for what will be an interesting and at time funny read. Ed is known for telling his stories around Eastney area and now you will be able to hear some of the best. <BR><BR><b>Back Page - XVII/V/MMVIII</b><BR><BR>Six years ago yesterday we all remember where we were whether we were lucky enough to have a ticket or had to watch on TV etc. How the old Toast team celebrated our Cup win six years ago.<BR><BR>We told you about lamppost banners in Time Square New York City advertising where to watch the final, fans watching in a bar in downtown Tokyo and meeting another fan in a Pompey shirt and how the celebrations were covered by Thai TV.<BR><BR>My favourite item and I know one Vital members enjoyed was a letter from Steve in Basingstoke to the FA complaining about … well read it yourself.<BR><BR>In the preface to the letter Steve explains 'I am not anti Welsh, I don't even watch Anne Robinson on the Weakest Link. Some of my friends are Welsh and I'd even let my daughter marry one!'<BR><BR><BR>Dear Sirs,<BR><BR>At last the FA have agreed to support Cardiff City's entry into the UEFA Cup next season in the unlikely event of them beating Portsmouth at Wembley on the 17th May. If the FA were not prepared to offer the reward of winning the FA Cup they should not have allowed them to enter the competition at the outset.<BR><BR><BR>What I do find surprising is that Catherine Jenkins has been asked to sing 'Land of my fathers' along with 'God save the Queen'. What is a nice girl from Neath doing at a Cardiff City fixture in England? Surely Shirley Bassey would have been a better choice?<BR><BR><BR>Were supporters of Swansea City consulted over whether they wanted their anthem used at a Bluebirds fixture? I very much doubt it! Remember Cardiff City are a club side NOT the national team representing their country (very few of the team are even Welsh). Did not Wales cease to be a country in 1284 thanks to Edward I? If Wales is a mere 'principality', what are they doing with a 'national anthem'? And why is it being performed at the English FA Cup Final?<BR><BR><BR>Cardiff City FC did not request 'Land of my fathers' I gather they would have preferred Vera Lynn singing 'There'll be Bluebirds over …'etc. 'Land of my fathers' was never played when the FA and Carling Cup Finals were played at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff so why now at Wembley of all places?<BR><BR><BR>I doubt Taffy Risdale or Sham Hamman were all that bothered; they have no affinity with the Welsh nation other than seeing Ninian Park as little more than a financial or 'development opportunity'.<BR><BR><BR>My sympathy goes out to the lovely Ms Jenkins whose delightful voice is likely to be drowned out by 25,000 supporters from South Hampshire singing the more famous 'Pompey Chimes' or worse still joining the chorus with 'Wales, whales, bloody great fish'!<BR><BR><BR>The 'Welsh Anthem' is only being played because the English FA have pondered to the whims and egos of politicians such as Rhodri Thomas trying to win votes at the May elections. The next thing they will suggest is the incorporation of a Red Dragon on the Union Flag.<BR><BR><BR>To avoid any further embarrassment of potential crowd trouble may I suggest that along with the UK National Anthem - 'God save the Queen' - the band of the Royal Marines strike up a few bars of 'Play up Pompey' or and an extract from Mike Oldfield's sea shanty 'Portsmouth'. Failing that perhaps the Royal Navy's 'Hearts of Oak, ready aye ready'. Better still how about a chorus of 'All the nice girls love a sailor' dedicated to Ms Jenkins herself?<BR><BR><BR>Yours sincerely<BR><BR><BR>Head of Protocol; Portsea Independence Party<BR>The political wing of the Portsea Liberation Front.<BR><BR><BR>For information: Portsmouth is situated on Portsea Island which unlike Wales is separated from the English mainland by clear, blue, salt water except at low tide when it is a bit muddy.<BR><BR>Incidentally picking up on the link to Tokyo before that letter someone put an idea in my head about asking fans for the photos of Pompey shirts in the most unusual location. I have been promised a picture of a game in Tikrit in Iraq where a whole side were playing in Pompey shirts.<BR><BR>Dig them out and share them with us all!<BR><BR><b>PUP</b><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Pompey knock Cambridge for six, stiffs stuffed, more on the PL deal and Madness on the pitch.........

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?550781">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Another game unbeaten, Old friends meet up, the week ahead and an early contender for player for the season..

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?551009">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

With no Chimes on Sunday we look at the awards pouring in, the visit of Luton and keeper who can head the ball.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?551392">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Tubbs and Taylor lead the way, Cat has his say, Ed's story continues and load more .........

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?551558">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

'Whatmough' could we have asked for at the weekend...ok, perhaps a blinding performance and an absolutely battering of Hartlepool! 3pts will do for starters though eh.

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=550399" target="blank"><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Does Whatmough seem a bit 'injury prone' or is it just me? Having missed Oxford and Northampton he could miss Accrington too – time for Ertl or, the better option, Webster?

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=551258#ixzz3TdnlFHcP" target="blank"><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Disappointing to lose Whatmough for the season, following on from Robbo but you 'carry on' right!

Hopefully his, and Robbo's absense can see others 'take their chance' and prove themselves worthy to be part of the squad going forward...

Also, all being well - NOT that you want injuries! - hopefully this enforced lay-off can clear up other issues that Whatmough has had?

Losing Jack Whatmough for the remainder of this season was bad enough, but it now looks like we will be without him for the start of next season too!

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=551975#ixzz3VUWrezat" target="blank"><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

I think the club really does need to bring in very good replacements now because, if he is out for as long as we fear, he will need kid gloves when he does start to train fully and play so it may be we don't have a fully functioning 'up to speed' Jack till October. We could be playing catch up by then if suitable quality isn't recruited in defence. In addition, no-one knows for sure what sort of effect this fractured cheekbone will have on Robbo. OK so players have come back on the past wearing a protective mask, but for a man in his position and the challenges he is expected to make, this could be a big ask! Do we want to play Russian Roulette next August/September and risk another wasted season? I don't want to sound like the harbinger of doom, but not to prepare for the worst would be a serious dereliction of duty!!

I hear you Emsworthian - the defensive moves we make in the summer are now the more important... I worry that we might now look to KEEP one of Devera or Chorley as a result, maybe both :10:

Devera, to be fair, as a back-up option - if needed - I'm not opposed to but ONLY as a back-up.

Changes are Whamough might not be back until November even?

As for Robbo, it is possible - although I think unlikely given what we know of him that he 'could' then get this mental worry in his mind and start ducking out of challenges for fear of injury again...

Saw Jack in town yesterday, leg strapped up and hobbling. He seemed ok and reasonably confident of playing next season but you never know.

Jack's back!

Well, nearly anyway with him on for some involvement in a friendly with Bournemouth today?

Hopefully Jack Whatmough can continue his rehab the way he has, with it hard to believe that he sustained his knee injury against Cheltenham 8-months ago, which I recall well with him looking to carry on after the injury at Fratton!

I'm not entirely sure when he'll be back in the 1st team picture but you would like to think, or hope sometime in the new year we'll see him back in action under Paul Cook for the first time.

Not that when he does he'll be as recognisable as he's had his shaggy hair cut off!

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=559585#ixzz3t3oHgBrc' target='blank'><b>Read more - click here</b></a>.

Thrown in or shipped out?

Either way, in many ways, when the time comes for Jack Whatmough to have some 1st team involvement the principle is basically the same with the risks equally as, well, risky I guess...

Although the thought process will always be is he ready?

We do know throwing Whatmough is isn't going to happen regardless with Paul Cook wary of him being involved too soon with some friendlies, or a short-term loan, what he ideally wants/wanted.

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=560345' target='blank'><b>Read more - click here</b></a>.

Whatmough hasn't kicked a ball in anger for Pompey (the 1st team) this season, his long-term injury has seen him limited to friendlies and a loan with Havant.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?563767">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Today? I wouldn't have though so at Mansfield, but it is believed Whatmough will be back in the Pompey side before the season is out. I'd be more than happy but I'm not convinced.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?563876">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Not convinced we'll see him play again this season BUT hope he's able to come back fully fit to challenge Burgess (and hopefully, with him still here) Webster next season though!