Sunday Chimes - The links | Page 4 | Vital Football

Sunday Chimes - The links

Thanks Emsworth.

The safety issues were one I had no space to cover amongst others.

I have added the pictures since you commented too.

Pompey throw it away at home this time, crocks on their way back, boo the boss and a picture special...

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?548503">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Yes fans are fickle Dave. I agree. Its the nature of football though I'm afraid. Fans need to vent their frustration at what they see as inadequacy of players and managers, they don't have another outlet.

Having said that, my opinion of AA is that he's struggling because he's simply not up to the job. He's not helped by 'some' of the players of course, but overall I think he's pretty clueless, and not without a degree of arrogance.

Is it a coincidence that two plain speaking Irishmen (Connolly/Macca) have obviously had difficulty with him. Chances are he'll be gone by the end of the season and replaced by Waddock. We shall see eh!

Course you are right about having no other outlet <b>Corny</b> but I am not too sure how Irish Connolly or Macca are!!

Injury time winner for Jed, Trust look for younger members, is Ryan too nice and lots more .........

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?550562">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Pitch battle, Pompey go Dutch (Hollands), Fund raising success and the Hump gets the hump .........

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?543402">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

<BR><b>Front Page</b><BR><BR>I spent Thursday working in a Polling Station in Eastney and it was a fairly quiet day until one voter walked in and proclaimed 'Pompey have signed Danny Hollands!` With that the peace was broken with an outbreak of approval. Believe me an outbreak of approval can be earpiercing on a day like that but even the local pensioners joined in.<BR><BR>Such is the impact that Hollands has had on the locals in such a short period and without doubt if asked who saved Pompey most would say Awfs and Hollands.<BR><BR>Chimes would ask one question though about Danny and that is simply where did that form come from? He was Player of the Season in 2007/08 when at Bournemouth but at the end of the 2011 season he decided after 200 games for the Cherries and as a free agent to join Charlton Athletic.<BR><BR>He hardly pulled up trees at the Valley and last season started on loan at Gillingham playing seventeen times netting just once. Richie Barker ten set up the loan deal to bring to Pompey when Toumani Diacouraga was recalled by Brentford. Awfs made the right decision, to trust his departed predecessor and sign the ex Chelsea youngster.<BR><BR>So we ask, was his form at Pompey just a flash in the pan or was it a matter of Danny loves the South Coast and is back in his adopted him. The Sunday Chimes really hopes that he can produce the late season form week in and week out next term and it could be a big piece in the promotion jigsaw.<BR><BR><b>The Humps get the boot</b><BR><BR>As promised God`s green acre is getting a summer facelift as work has started on improving the Fratton Park surface for the 2014/15 campaign. The grass is currently being removed in order for long-awaited drainage issues to be sorted.<BR> <BR>In addition to that the mounds in the goalmouths - a familiar Fratton sight down the years - will be removed to leave a flat playing surface.<BR> <BR>Head groundsman Steve Baker told the club`s official site "First we have to take the grass off the top and rotovate the pitch. "Then we`ll put a machine called a laser grader on the back of the tractors, which means we`ll be able to level off the pitch. The traditional humps in the goalmouths will be no more.<BR> <BR>"We`ll have a nice flat pitch, as well as new drainage and pop-up sprinklers, so we won`t have to keep dragging out hoses. In a couple of weeks it should be seeded, so we can be ready for the Bournemouth match."<BR> <BR>Baker has welcomed the investment in a Pompey pitch that has been neglected in recent years. He said: "A lot of people have commented - and I agree with them - that this is work that should have happened when the club was in the Premier League. We`ve had more work done since the community takeover than in the whole two-and-a-half years I`ve been here. It makes our job a lot easier because we`ve now got better machinery and will soon have a better pitch."<BR><BR><b>View from the Hump - No humps?</b><BR><BR>What are they doing? There is not a Pompey fan alive who has seen football played on the Fratton Park pitch without the humps.<BR><BR>If I remember <b>Chix</b> correctly the pitch was cambered in the mid 1920s when the South Stand was built and as with a lot of Archibald Leitch grounds the terracing was sunken below pitch level. This meant that fans low on one side could not see the feet of players on the opposite flank. However that was not why it was done quite simply it helps the drainage. It allows the water to run all over the feet of those in the front row too through the weep holes.<BR><BR>Sorry but those of us on the Hump are not prepared to listen to these stories that technology of pitches is more of a science and cambers are no longer needed. That camber gave Duggie Reid one of the best pitches in the country and the drainage was superb.<BR><BR>Modern technology is killing the game we knew what is wrong with a muddy pitch? Leitch was a Scottish Architect who designed so many great stadia and now bit by bit they are disappearing. A real shame the Hump says.<BR><BR><b>Features</b><BR><BR>Ed`s autobiography project is going well and we hope to have the first instalment in a couple of week`s time. He has ignored all the advice I have given him such as suggested chapters, format etc. but is busy spending wet days writing and then wife Sue has the unenviable task of editing and typing the work.<BR><BR>All he wants then is a publisher which may be a difficult task but after airing a taster in the Sunday Chimes who knows?<BR><BR>Just one more opponent for next season remains to be settled. Will it be Fleetwood or Burton that will triumph at Wembley on Monday in front of what will be a crowd that could fit inside Fratton Park. Most fans will be pleased that Cambridge United edged out Gateshead last week as the distance to travel is greatly reduced.<BR><BR>On that note of the size of Fratton Park I found an interesting clipping I had pulled from a football magazine in 1983 last week setting out Pompey's chances for the upcoming 83/84 season. It describes Fratton Park as 'one of the best appointed grounds in the country and constant envy of local rivals Southampton` and liked the signings of Mark Hateley from Coventry and Richard Money from Luton. It also suggested Pompey with heir loyal support set 1986 as the target for reaching Division One. Just one year out there then!<BR><BR>Can`t for the life for me remember what magazine that came from, anyone any ideas. Page size is A4 and it is no comic style publication.<BR><BR>Any thoughts on my idea that we replace 'on this day` with the Vital Pompey diary? Here at VP things they are a changing and like everything on life it is nice to have fresh ideas. Is it popular? Do you read it? Anyone fancy writing 365 of them?!!<BR><BR><b>Letters</b><BR><BR>It was a real pleasure to hear from <b>Simon Brocklehurst</b> in the Big Apple last week and I know there are a lot of others out there reading and not commenting. Why not tell us where you are?<BR><BR>Thanks for the comments too Simon makes it all worthwhile. Good evening.<BR><BR><b>Back page - Money pours in</b><BR><BR>Yesterday`s PST 'open day' at Fratton Park has been hailed a success by the PST Board and those fans that attended after an initial £50,000 was pledged by fans. <BR> <BR><BR>Over 200 fans came to mingle with the PST board, view the plans of the new training ground and discuss plans for the club with Mark Catlin and Paul Hardyman, who both also attended the event.<BR> <BR><BR>One fan even travelled down from Macclesfield for the day and went home the proud part owner of some shares in the PST.<BR><BR> <BR>PST Spokesman John Kimbell said 'We were delighted with the number of people that came but more importantly the amount of money we were able to raise. Fans seemed to be really impressed with and excited by the plans for the training ground. Whilst a number of fans came and signed up for shares today, a large number also took our new prospectus away with a view to applying for shares in the coming weeks. We wish to stress that the share offer remains open and we'd encourage any fans who wish to get involved, to do so as soon as possible'.<BR> <BR><BR>Fans that were unable to attend today's event but wish to buy shares do so through the Trust website (go to Join Us/Apply For Shares) or by contacting info@pompeytrust.com for more information.<BR><BR><BR><b>PUP</b><BR><BR><BR><BR>

The new Sunday column is here so hold the front page and try Vital Pompey's latest publication...

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?543091">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Sunday Chimes – Edition #1

Good morning and welcome to a brand new feature here on Vital Pompey, the Sunday Chimes.

You will be aware that Sunday Toast had been running since January 2008 and I thought we were in need of a change. This new project is simply your usual Sunday morning paper with all of its usual parts – the front page, leader column, features, your letters, adverts and the back page which would normally carry the match report. Of course the back page will always come first as that is the way us sports lovers always start there.

Sadly though there will be no cartoons and I am not going to try writing horoscopes! We might just squeeze in the odd joke though.

<b>The Front Page</b>

Greg Dyke this week published the findings of his commission into the future of English football. It came out with a four point plan which has certainly been seen to be controversial to say the least. The plan is for a new League Three with -
• 10 Premier League B teams and 10 from the Conference would take part.
• 20 of the 25 players in the squad should qualify for the home-grown rule.
• No non-EU players allowed.
• 19 of the 25 players in the squad should be under the age of 21.

Football meanwhile has stood solidly against the proposal, Pompey Chief Executive Mark Catlin said ‘This is absolutely disgraceful and a complete lack of respect to both the Football League and all its clubs.

‘I am very angry - this is not about Portsmouth but the whole Football League structure. Why are they looking to change the most revered league in the world? Why are we having a conversation about changing that?

‘All for the chance it might improve the England team. That is one hell of a gamble to take by destroying the whole pyramid structure. This has to be stopped in its tracks.’

Richard Scudamore of the Premier League was also vociferous in his opposition saying that the majority of his clubs were in against the idea of B teams.

I must admit that this is a strange plan and in my view is too late in a player’s development to really change things. Remember that once a player signs for a club as a boy they are not allowed to play schools football and then at city or County level hence missing out that natural progression.

Once at their clubs players should have a competitive league to play in they should not invade the long standing Football League structure which has been on place since 1888. In the years gone past we had the Central League and the Football Combination (once known as the London Combination) and those league were hard fought and often watched by decent crowds too.

I had a discussion with a Central League referee many years ago who gave me an insight into the competition and gave me a list of players he had seen come through and go on to play international football. It was also a very good grounding for young referees.

So Mr Dyke think again there are plenty of good suggestions out there as to how to improve the national side and yours is NOT one of them!

<b>Leader column – View from the Hump</b>

Any older fan will know why we have given this column the heading View from the Hump as in the years gone by the fans who gather on the Boliermaker’s Hump were down for always having an opinion.

Before we write the final lines of the Richie Barker term of office at the helm at Fratton Park let us remember a few key factors.

Firstly he had an eye for a player. When he signed Ryan Taylor a look at his stats showed that he appeared a panic buy. His figures were awful on paper and I for one doubted Barker’s sanity; but he has become a real favourite with his effort and link up play and he has scored goals too. One other thing I like about Taylor is he never complains about the treatment he receives just gets up dusts himself

Then there was the loan of Danny Hollands he set up when Toumani Diagouraga was recalled by Brentford. This was of course his final throw of the dice and Awfs took him on loan. What an impact that deal had on Pompey’s final finish!

He also handled himself well on Sky Sports News when invited as an expert on the FL72 preview show. He knew the game and the players in it well but as everyone has said he did not fit. He seemed a popular figure in the game too except that is with Steve Evans the Rotherham manager!!

So the Hump says Richie made his mark.

<b>Classified Ads</b>

Your money wanted - to launch the new share push, the PST would like to invite you to join us at the Victory Suite at Fratton Park on Saturday 24th May between 11am and 3pm where the proposed new training ground plans will be on display and PST Board Members will be discussing how once again, through various methods, fans can buy new or additional shares to provide funds towards a training ground project which thanks to our magnificent fans, will make Portsmouth FC stronger than ever.

If you are interested in buying a share please bring identifying documents with you.

<b>Letter to the Editors</b>

Toast has gone! Long live Toast! Gone but not forgotten and least by the three laptops I wore out writing it!

I thought I would just look back at the final comments you the readers made -
Thanks Dave for all your efforts over the past six or so years. I hope others will share my thanks to you and your team, as the last crumbs of toast are digested ring out the chimes
<b>Penton</b>

There have been times in the reign of toast where I have been deliriously " happy" and have commented Dave's on column within seconds of it being posted, times when I thought it was just imbalanced and wrong and times when I've dreaded to read it. Times when I've read it over and over again, hoping if I ignored her enough Leonie would give up asking me to do the garden. The strangest times though were when the toast wasn't there - that's when you know it's become a personal institution.

<b>russellm</b>

Ed – Russell I agree some weeks Toast was awful but thanks for sticking with it. Times have been hard being a Pompey fan and getting the enthusiasm some weeks was impossible!

Well done Dave, thanks very much for all your efforts and hopefully the new column will coincide with an upturn in our fortunes as poor old Toast has suffered with our down turns! It's a good read and as Russell says, missed when it isn’t here.

<b>pompeyweller</b>

Bye bye Toast, a very palatable start to a Sunday. Thanks Dave, and looking forward to the Chimes.

<b>pfcblue</b>

Ed – many thanks for the comments, which is why I write these columns. I hope this new column lives up to expectations but it will take a few editions to settle down. Your letters, ideas, comments of course are always welcome.

<b>Features/Colour Supplement</b>

I am still working on ideas for this section looking at possible interview opportunities. Any ideas would be very welcome. Guest columnists could also feature.

<b>The back page</b>

SO Andy has started his cull of the huge squad he inherited and nine have been released. There were no real surprises among the group but it is always sad to see youngsters come through the ranks and then fail to make the grade such as Ashley Harris. I do hope he can prove the club wrong and make the grade elsewhere but I think he has been given a fair chance,

The failure of Jake Jervis to gain a contract is also disappointing considering the efforts Pompey and UEFA went through to get him freed from his contract in Turkey. He never really applied himself on the pitch and always seemed too laid back. More effort would have brought more reward!

On a similar vein sad to see Thery Racon, a player of undoubted skill miss out

Now there are five who the club are negotiating with over their future – Jed Wallace, Nicky Shorey, Bondz N'Gala, Nick Awford and Jack Maloney and probably two others that discussions will take part with are John Sullivan and David Connolly.

Both Ryan Bird and Adam Webster have had their one year options taken and that is good news for both. Bird scored eleven goals in nine games on loan at Cambridge United and deserves a chance to prove his worth – a goalscorer is a goalscorer after all. Adam has to settle into a position that suits but is it at full back? He has filled out and looks a better player but where to play him; he does not like a tricky winger at all.

A draw at Wycombe after all fans expected a drubbing, plus goal of the year, and lots of Grumps.............

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?550094">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

A new blog - a good day of the office, pitch battle coming up, Next week, Lubo for the cup and more....

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?548026">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Welcome to what is an occasional midweek blog. I will write if I have time, the inclination and the content.

<b>Good all round day </b>

Last Saturday was a real fillip for everyone with Pompey at heart. After the two defeats which were both televised and hence there for all to see. After a scrappy start (and let me put the record straight from both my notebook and other sources the first goal was timed at 10:02not nineteen minutes as others in the media have reported} and an early Craig Westcarr goal the rest of the first half saw errors from Jed Wallace – some shouting ‘get ‘im off’ and Miles Storey.

What Awfs said at the interval worked at Pompey went for the jugular and Ryan Taylor led the line brilliantly apart from his own finishing – or Scott Davies the Shrimps keeper is a close friend.

Two good solid debuts from Fish and Bean who showed they know the ropes in this league and a good gate on a day when the forecast was poor and the opposition not attractive all added up to a good all round day except that is for ...

<b>The Pitch</b>

I was writing this blog and scribbled down ‘Pitch looking a bit ropey on the south stand side and no frosts yet! I had realised it until I saw the highlights of Saturday’s game from the camera atop the South Stand.’

The News have picked up on this too and Mark Catlin Pompey Chief Executive told them ‘There are some areas of the pitch that are causing slight concern, There are a few areas we are not 100-per-cent happy with and that is currently being looked at. We are now working with the company that laid the pitch in the summer and trying to address the issues.

From what I have been told, it’s nothing to do with the drainage. When you lay a pitch, for the first season there will be issues with the soil that has been put down. Look at Wembley the first year it was open. I don’t want to get too technical, but we are looking at the soil (beneath the grass) and there is dialogue going on about it. It is nothing to do with our groundsmen, they are doing an absolutely fantastic job and continue to put in plenty of effort on the pitch.

We’ve also had an immense amount of rain at a time when the season is well under way and it is difficult for grass pitches in the cold weather. There are just under three weeks until the next first-team home game and the company will do what they can. Like I said, I am generally very happy with it, but there are certain areas we have concerns about and have raised it with the pitch company.’

The club spent a lot of money on that pitch and work went on for many weeks – I know when passing the ground seeing tractors constantly up and down – so why the problem? Was it a mistake to take away the slope? Call for the Sports Pitch Foundation I say or whatever they are called.

Unsurprisingly the reserve game scheduled earlier today became a victim of the pitch rather than the weather.

<b>Next week</b>

Saturday 29 November - Tranmere away

Pompey’s record at Prenton Park has been good recently with no defeat in the last five visits. The first league visit was back January 1977 when Pompey picked up their first win in a month thanks to goals from Steve Foster, David Pullar and Keith Viney showing how boss Ian St John put his belief in youth. That was the only time St John took Pompey back to his adopted city of Liverpool.

In total the two clubs have met fourteen times on the west bank of the Mersey with Pompey winning four times and there have been six draws. The game has over the years seen some high scoring affairs too, Rovers winning 4-2 in 1995 and 4-3 in 1996, Pompey getting some revenge with a 4-2 triumph in 1999 – of course Awfs will know all about those games as he played in two but was injured for the first.

For the gamblers amongst you there has never been a goalless draw between the two teams in league or cup.

<b>The end for Shorey</b>

After a long and distinguished career and two England Caps against Brazil and Germany in 2007 is the end nigh for Nicky Shorey?

Nicky has had a number of short term contracts recently and now Dan Butler has claimed the left back slot is there much future at Fratton Park? I have noticed lately that he has been misplacing passes and seeming to contort his body at times to get his left foot round the ball rather than trust his right. Coaching role possibly the future?

<b>What a delay</b>

Was it only me or have you noticed how delayed the images are on live Sky or BT Sport games. You can watch the live text commentary on the net and then ninety seconds or so later you can see it! Strange but true.

<b>Lubo wins the cup</b>

Lubomir Michalik spent two seasons with Pompey leaving England but his career reached a real high point over the weekend. Michalik, now 31, signed with Kazakhstan club Kairat Almaty and at the weekend, he picked up the first major medal of his career as he helped his side triumph in a 4-1 victory over FC Aktobe to win the national Kazakhstan Cup.

Well done Lubo!

<b>Database query needs revising</b>

Change of emphasis on loans! Rather than players who can excite the fans from time to time and disappoint most of it Pompey and in particular Awfs has decided to go for horses for courses.

Now the database search parameter has been refined to ‘League 2 winner’. Now that makes sense some of the Premier League kids we have had are more than capable footballers but they are not ready to be booted into the air every few minutes!

<b>Dennis spills the beans</b>

The Dennis Edwards interview with the News most interesting but should it not be carried by someone who watched him play?

Now I had that privilege and believe me it was not pretty. The balding Dennis was very badly treated by most fans as a joke after he was brought in to replace the legend Ron Saunders - for younger fans think Scott McGarvey.

But Dennis tells how he was suffering from all manner of knee injuries and forced not only to train but play games by boss George Smith. Edwards tells how Smith treated players in the eighteen man squad with no reserves.

He also says he was earning only £20 per week and when he retires founded local company Dennis Edwards Food Service a company many of you would have heard of or seen the lorries in and around the City. I did not realise it was the same Dennis Edwards.

Dennis many fans owe you an apology after fifty years including me but still there is no answer to the question, How did you manage to hit the Fratton End clock from the edge of six yard box?

Nice one Dave, and glad to see you posting it in the forum too - it was a regular forum post of 'Toast' before Chimes that went in the forum but you have not been doing that this season...

The forum links are still in place so I might combine them together and then maybe from this weekend you can start posting it in the forum again too?

(Can you in the 'hidden' forum start a 'Chimes' thread Dave, I will then move all the Chimes links to it...)

Saturday was a good day all round, we went about it the right way, we played our way and surprise, surprise it paid off!

We have spoken about the pitch in the forum, it is a worry to see the state of it now... it will be more of a worry when the proper winter arrives! Like you say, Wembley was awful when freshly laid so we live in hope going forward...

I say go about Tranmere the same way as we did Morecambe, if we do then I cannot see any reason why we cannot get a repeat 3-0 win or even a repeat of the 1999 4-2 win, a game I remember well as I went!

It does look very much as though Shorey is very much coming towards the end of the line - his body seems to struggle now, his mobility is almost non-existent so now is the right time for Butler to takeover, the worry is can we keep him?

A strategy of going for players familiar with this level of football is not a bad one at all. This is such a horrible league and the longer you are in it the harder it will be to get out of it... players familiar with it know what it is all about, if they can help us find some consistency in a league that is so inconsistent we could still enjoy success when it ends in May...

Cracking midweek blog Dave :14:

Pompey slip meekly to another defeat, shoot the referee, vote for the Community and Ricky's future in the balance...

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?549904">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

A look back 35 years and 100 years plus a look forward to new rules and much more in the festive edition..

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?548855">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

More away day blues, Ed's story is back (at last), Loans do they work, Jamo at it again and more...

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?548121">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

More poor refereeing robs Pompey, remembering Keith James, loan deals ended, and congrats to Ken and Linvoy..

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?549442">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

We look back six years, ask should the Fair Play Rules be flouted and lose and old friend the Dockyard League.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?543256">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>