Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 135 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Some folks on Twitter speculating Morsy fee to Ipswich was 1 or 2m! They also said he was on 12k a week at Boro which sounds about right and I can't imagine he would've taken a pay cut. So it may have been a very expensive deal.

I was genuinely gutted when I heard he'd signed for Ipswich but if it was anything like that fee I can see why we left it.

If we sold for 200k and they got 2m with something like a 20% sell on we'd have done ok out of that.

Some folks on Twitter speculating Morsy fee to Ipswich was 1 or 2m! They also said he was on 12k a week at Boro which sounds about right and I can't imagine he would've taken a pay cut. So it may have been a very expensive deal.

I was genuinely gutted when I heard he'd signed for Ipswich but if it was anything like that fee I can see why we left it.

If we sold for 200k and they got 2m with something like a 20% sell on we'd have dine ok out of that.

I like Morsy a lot but I'm thrilled with the squad we've assembled. I'm not too bothered that we didn't go back in for him.

The owner has provided the tools, including arguably the signing of the division on paper in Jason Kerr. Not to mention last season's top league goalscorer. No doubt our squad has been expensively assembled and that wage bill won't be pretty. He's been more than adequately backed, so it's now down to Leam Richardson to deliver the goods.

Grigg went Rotherham in the end.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in a 2 up front feeding off a target man as we never did that with him.

I can't imagine that Kerr will be coming to sit on the bench, so it will be very hard on Watts if he's dropped now. I expect that Kerr will be eased in, or we may have to go to a back three to accommodate Kerr, Watts and Whatmough. Tilt provides good cover (as does Long) at centre back, and Bennett is a brilliant addition. I would loan Robinson out to a League 1 club - I think he'll be a very good player in the future.
I would go Carragher over Long

The owner has provided the tools, including arguably the signing of the division on paper in Jason Kerr. Not to mention last season's top league goalscorer. No doubt our squad has been expensively assembled and that wage bill won't be pretty. He's been more than adequately backed, so it's now down to Leam Richardson to deliver the goods.
Now that is another matter. Pressure is well and truly on.
Play the style of football tonight in the league and he will have the fans asleep and calling for his head just like Cook had with his turgid football.
Fingers crossed.

Play the style of football tonight in the league and he will have the fans asleep and calling for his head just like Cook had with his turgid football.
Fingers crossed.

So far this season we've got:
- the players
- the work rate
- the fitness
- the spirt

But what we've been lacking is a coherent style of play. We've kind of got results despite our style rather than because of it. We seem to have a top side full of quality who could really cut through teams but so far have played like a bottom side lacking quality and trying to get by on graft and fight. If we can keep the intensity but get the midfielders involved then we can be the best of both.

I'm baffled by the tactics to seemingly deliberately not play through the centre of midfield all the time - we are capable of doing it and so much better when we do. We are going to switch back to using the def mids to link everything together eventually if we want to click - I'm just not sure why we moved away from it.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed.
He won't.
The majority of managers in League 1 don't give a toss about the Pizza Cup, it's become a massive hindrance, especially for those with high ambitions.

If I was being picky, I would say that our midfield is one dimensional and we could have done with a different type of player in there, but really if you compare how we are now to how we were just a matter of weeks ago, then the transformation is remarkable. Hats off to everyone involved including the new owners, manager and staff, recruitment team, absolutely everyone involved with Wigan Athletic.

Believe indeed!!

If I was being picky, I would say that our midfield is one dimensional and we could have done with a different type of player in there, but really if you compare how we are now to how we were just a matter of weeks ago, then the transformation is remarkable. Hats off to everyone involved including the new owners, manager and staff, recruitment team, absolutely everyone involved with Wigan Athletic.

Believe indeed!!

I think we've actually got that variety but so far it hasn't mattered who's played we've been asking them to play in a way that they can't really show it.

With those 3 decent defensive reinforcements yesterday,we've had a fantastic transfer window!We now have good depth in every position across the pitch and considering that we only had 6 contracted players before it opened(4 of those being from our academy),that's a magnificent effort by all involved.The squad we have built is full of good players and seemingly good characters too.

Throw into the mix we've received over a million for Joseph,McGuirk,Burn,Lowe and Morsy combined and have spent around that on transfer fees to assemble this excellent squad,makes our transfer window even more impressive.

I've really enjoyed and been encouraged by our start to the season,especially considering the tough opposition.Now the squad is complete,i'm really looking forward to watching it continue to gel and further improve for the remainder of it.I reckon there's around another 10 or 11 teams with similar ambitions to win promotion,which makes for an exciting season.Bring it on!💪

...But what we've been lacking is a coherent style of play. We've kind of got results despite our style rather than because of it. We seem to have a top side full of quality who could really cut through teams but so far have played like a bottom side lacking quality and trying to get by on graft and fight. If we can keep the intensity but get the midfielders involved then we can be the best of both.

I'm baffled by the tactics to seemingly deliberately not play through the centre of midfield all the time - we are capable of doing it and so much better when we do. We are going to switch back to using the def mids to link everything together eventually if we want to click - I'm just not sure why we moved away from it.

We've played 5 games, all against relegated teams, or ones who are amongst the favourites for promotion

We've won 3, drawn one and lost one.

We've 10 points and are in 4th position, 2 points behind the leaders (who we lost to).

Players are still getting to know each other.

Most people would have expected (and been happy) us to have no more than 5 points - maybe even 3 - at this stage.

For all the talk of being happy to have a "boring, mid table" season, it seems that given the wonderful strengthening of the squad, it looks like the manager is going to be under pressure (from the supporters at least) to get us up this season.

Whatever happened to "lerrum gel" ?

(Sorry KDZ, this isn't necessarily aimed at you ... I've just taken advantage of the nature of your post).

Last edited: