Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 84 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Respect to the young lads, but we're trying to get promoted pal, not stay in the division.

I understand your point CL, but how many times has the conversation on here turned to us not giving players from our own academy a chance.

We have lost the likes of Gelhardt, McGurk, Devine, Joseph and Weir of late, I know due to circumstances beyond our control, but if our young players don't see a path to first team football then there is no use having an academy.

We have to believe in them and give them the chance to prove themselves or lose them and how many players have we let go that have then gone on to become regulars at other clubs. The likes of Cosgrove, Nichols and Flores have all managed to get regular football at the level we are at now and there are probably others I have missed.

The point being that we keep saying we are not bringing players through and yet when the opportunity arises to give them a break we tend not to and bring in a loanee from another club.

The fact we were in for Lawrence and had Duhaney on trial suggested we didn't think Llyod was ready for the first team, but if he can impress in the friendlies then they'll probably not bother bringing anyone else in and go with him.

Did Lloyd manage to get forward and put any balls in? With Wyke needing crosses and the system we play with the fullbacks often providing the width we are probably looking for attack minded full backs who can get crosses in.
Hope not, just want full backs to be doing what they should be doing and that's defending with odd run up the field but not a reliance on them doing that.

Hope not, just want full backs to be doing what they should be doing and that's defending with odd run up the field but not a reliance on them doing that.

You want attacking fullbacks as it creates overloads that help creates space and chances for other players. In the modern game having full backs who can't get forward at every given opportunity and get involved puts you at a disadvantage.

We need a right footed version of Pearce.

I understand your point CL, but how many times has the conversation on here turned to us not giving players from our own academy a chance.

We have lost the likes of Gelhardt, McGurk, Devine, Joseph and Weir of late, I know due to circumstances beyond our control, but if our young players don't see a path to first team football then there is no use having an academy.

We have to believe in them and give them the chance to prove themselves or lose them and how many players have we let go that have then gone on to become regulars at other clubs. The likes of Cosgrove, Nichols and Flores have all managed to get regular football at the level we are at now and there are probably others I have missed.

The point being that we keep saying we are not bringing players through and yet when the opportunity arises to give them a break we tend not to and bring in a loanee from another club.

To be fair Cosgrove and Flores never did much in England either on loan in L2 even after they left for other clubs. Their good spells came a year or two later when they ended up in Scotland and Ireland . Since then Flores came back to L1 at Hull and Cosgrove went to Birmingham and both haven't been able to establish themselves.

Nicholls had a decent career at MK in L1 and L2, but he's still not a great keeper from what i've seen. He's probably not much better than Jamie Jones.

I agree we should give the kids a game if they are good enough but those 3 unfortunately never looked good enough when they were here and I don't think letting any of them go was a mistake at the time.

I think prior to the batch of Geldhardt, Devine, Weir, Joseph, etc - we simply weren't producing kids that were that good.

I think it's a bit of a worry that its two and a half weeks since we last brought anyone in considering its only 11 days to the big KO and we are still without at least one centre back and the bench looks full of inexperience. For me the pre season opposition up to now has been too low, and I fear we will be undercooked

To be fair Cosgrove and Flores never did much in England either on loan in L2 even after they left for other clubs. Their good spells came a year or two later when they ended up in Scotland and Ireland . Since then Flores came back to L1 at Hull and Cosgrove went to Birmingham and both haven't been able to establish themselves.

Nicholls had a decent career at MK in L1 and L2, but he's still not a great keeper from what i've seen. He's probably not much better than Jamie Jones.

I agree we should give the kids a game if they are good enough but those 3 unfortunately never looked good enough when they were here and I don't think letting any of them go was a mistake at the time.

I think prior to the batch of Geldhardt, Devine, Weir, Joseph, etc - we simply weren't producing kids that were that good.

I think the point was that at the time of departure of Flores, Nicholls and Cosgrove we were a championship side and they were not up to par at the time.

My point is though that we tend to dismiss our younger players in search of immediate success. I seriously doubt that Aasgaard, Lang, Long and Robinson would have even been considered for this season had they not been given the opportunity of extended runs in the team last season. No doubt all four would have been shipped out on loan somewhere and we would have brought in loan players from other clubs to fill the squad.

I think it's a bit of a worry that its two and a half weeks since we last brought anyone in considering its only 11 days to the big KO and we are still without at least one centre back and the bench looks full of inexperience. For me the pre season opposition up to now has been too low and I fear we will be undercooked

I understand your concerns Zakky, but remember we are still playing some trialists in the pre season matches and they may prove to be intended new signings. There is also the fact that a lot of deals are dependant on clubs further up the chain releasing or replacing players and the market heats up nearer the big kick off.

I would be more worried if there was only a few days to go and we were still so light.

We're still a light, but if we can get 2/3 in before next week, will make a difference. Expect we'll bring in a couple after the season starts and then maybe one 2 towards the end of the window. Imagine we'll look to utilise the loan market.

As for friendlies, agree we might be a bit undercooked, as we've not played a lot. That said, might be that a few teams are in a similar situation, can imagine that a few teams may have been left scrambling round for opponents after late postponements like we had last week. Presume we had a Champ/Prem team lined up behind closed doors and they cancelled which left us trying to find a team to play

I think the point was that at the time of departure of Flores, Nicholls and Cosgrove we were a championship side and they were not up to par at the time.

My point is though that we tend to dismiss our younger players in search of immediate success. I seriously doubt that Aasgaard, Lang, Long and Robinson would have even been considered for this season had they not been given the opportunity of extended runs in the team last season. No doubt all four would have been shipped out on loan somewhere and we would have brought in loan players from other clubs to fill the squad.

Cosgrove and Flores were all out on loan in the lower leagues and weren't really impressing. I think Nicholls was released in L1 after his disastrous performance against Barnsley. I think they'd have still been released no matter what division we were in based on what we'd seen from them.

The likes of Lang and Geldhart in their cameos showed they had something about them and deserved more chances than they got under Cook for sure. But after seeing Obi, Perry, Merrie, Jolley, Crankshaw, etc last season get runs in the side you could see why they were quite rightly not given a chance prior to us having no choice.

It's about picking out the ones that were good enough to give a chance to.

We're still a light, but if we can get 2/3 in before next week, will make a difference. Expect we'll bring in a couple after the season starts and then maybe one 2 towards the end of the window. Imagine we'll look to utilise the loan market.

As for friendlies, agree we might be a bit undercooked, as we've not played a lot. That said, might be that a few teams are in a similar situation, can imagine that a few teams may have been left scrambling round for opponents after late postponements like we had last week. Presume we had a Champ/Prem team lined up behind closed doors and they cancelled which left us trying to find a team to play
I was thinking this, but then the seasons over the past two years have been so messed up it might be a good time to reset. Worst thing is we'll only know on the first day of the season if we've played too much, too little or just right in preseason.

I will say this now, after watching Charlie Wyke twice unless we start to put some balls on his head we are going to get nothing from him.
He hardly had a touch tonight as the game just passed him by but to be fair to him nobody tried to find him with a single cross. Humphreys did far more in 15 mins and looked to fit the teams tactics much better

I will say this now, after watching Charlie Wyke twice unless we start to put some balls on his head we are going to get nothing from him.
He hardly had a touch tonight as the game just passed him by but to be fair to him nobody tried to find him with a single cross. Humphreys did far more in 15 mins and looked to fit the teams tactics much better
Play them both and a winger and we will win the league.
Play one or the other and no proper winger and it could be play offs at best.

So, quick caveat that I've not seen any of the friendlies (who knew doubling the number of children lead to 10x more work?!), but from what I've seen and read online I'm getting a little bit excited by young Aasgaard. That leads me to the question of whether we need to be signing a player like Fraser or the St Mirren chap?

While I know we need bodies in with Aasgaard as the more creative option and Keane as the more wily, rough and tumble option do we potentially do ourselves a disservice if we sign someone else who reduces young Thelo's development opportunities?

Or have a read too much into social media and he's not as good as people are making out? Couple of Stoke fans I know were certainly very impressed with him after going last night!

do we potentially do ourselves a disservice if we sign someone else who reduces young Thelo's development opportunities?
/QUOTE]

Good point !……probably…
he looks to have a touch of class about him …he’s maybe a bit lightweight yet, but he’ll likely fill out somewhat.
Technically he just looks a cut above, he may well turn out to be a bit special.

We defo need at least 1-2 centrebacks and a versatile right/left back for competition. Aasgaard is a sure starter for me. Baller. With Massey, Edwards, Lang, Aasgaard, Keane and potentially Tyler Blackett, I believe we are pretty much covered. Mcgrath would be an much needed signing, someone who can play behind the striker and in midfield too. 1-2 centrebacks are needed but I believe Long/Carragher will step up with someone like Whatmore or Bailey next to them aswell. Darikwa needs competition though.

So, quick caveat that I've not seen any of the friendlies (who knew doubling the number of children lead to 10x more work?!), but from what I've seen and read online I'm getting a little bit excited by young Aasgaard. That leads me to the question of whether we need to be signing a player like Fraser or the St Mirren chap?

While I know we need bodies in with Aasgaard as the more creative option and Keane as the more wily, rough and tumble option do we potentially do ourselves a disservice if we sign someone else who reduces young Thelo's development opportunities?

Or have a read too much into social media and he's not as good as people are making out? Couple of Stoke fans I know were certainly very impressed with him after going last night!

I said to a mate at half-time that we need Thelo Aasgaard tied down to a three year deal asap. This lad is really going to be some player in the next couple of years.

I think we need both Lang and Aasgaard to commit for a few seasons if possible, but I'm sure clubs will soon be sniffing around if not already. They both had a spark about them last night.

I think we need both Lang and Aasgaard to commit for a few seasons if possible, but I'm sure clubs will soon be sniffing around if not already. They both had a spark about them last night.
Didn't Aasgaard sign a new deal whilst we were in admin, either 2 or 3 years if I remember correctly?