Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 76 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Sunderland fan site saying they think Bailey Wright is on his way here. Would be a quality signing if it's true.

He was also until quite recently Bristol City captain so that gives us yet another EFL captain to add to a team already full of leaders
Eh, general consensus there seemed to be that it was a bs story, wasn't it? Most agreed he's quality but very injury prone and is coming from a poor season.

Jay can also do all that knowing that he doesn't need to get good access to the club players and officials to fill regular column inches each week. The motivating factors are very different.

It takes an extraordinary pair of cojones to start biting the hand that feeds you.

The point was you don't need to bite the hand that feeds to do a good job.

Before the Baily Wright story appeared I read that he had a disappointing season. The Sunderland fans think he is a good player but for whatever reason he didn't show his best last year.

I think he had some injuries and the back 4 was never settled, i don't think he was the only Sunderland player last season who struggled.

If we are interested in him we obviously think we can get him back to his best, if we could do that he'd certainly be one of the strongest defenders in the division.

I imagine he's on big wages at Sunderland as he was signed when they were still happy to spend a lot, if they think for his recent form he's not worth the wage he's on maybe they'd consider moving him on.

Interesting rumour.

Another thing about Bailey Wright was he was rested for last Saturdays friendly as a precaution.
Now we all know what that usually means.
Whether it's a move to us is a different matter.

Saw a couple of messages saying some of the Sunderland 'in the know' fans said there could be truth in the Bailey Wright rumour. But the majority seem to think it's unlikely they'd want to move him on.

Looking at their current squad, they are quite thin on numbers and he's a player that Johnson knows well from Bristol - so i imagine he is probably one of his trusted senior players.

We'll obviously see what happens but i'm not convinced this one is a goer at the moment.

Saw a couple of messages saying some of the Sunderland 'in the know' fans said there could be truth in the Bailey Wright rumour. But the majority seem to think it's unlikely they'd want to move him on.

Looking at their current squad, they are quite thin on numbers and he's a player that Johnson knows well from Bristol - so i imagine he is probably one of his trusted senior players.

We'll obviously see what happens but i'm not convinced this one is a goer at the moment.
Wasn' this the same player who said Sunderland should be beating Wigan last season - just before we turned them over the second time ?
If so be a little ironic no ! - interesting to hear an intro interview on why he's changed his mind 😂

Wasn' this the same player who said Sunderland should be beating Wigan last season - just before we turned them over the second time ?
If so be a little ironic no ! - interesting to hear an intro interview on why he's changed his mind 😂

No, it was that soft melt Onions or whatever his name is

Before the Baily Wright story appeared I read that he had a disappointing season. The Sunderland fans think he is a good player but for whatever reason he didn't show his best last year.

I think he had some injuries and the back 4 was never settled, i don't think he was the only Sunderland player last season who struggled.

If we are interested in him we obviously think we can get him back to his best, if we could do that he'd certainly be one of the strongest defenders in the division.

I imagine he's on big wages at Sunderland as he was signed when they were still happy to spend a lot, if they think for his recent form he's not worth the wage he's on maybe they'd consider moving him on.

Interesting rumour.
Well, just from what I read: he had an injury that lasted two months, until the final stages of the season, then he got straight back into the starting 11 and "Sunderland suddenly looked worse". Maybe he was rushed back in? That could be a good reason for him to be on the sidelines this weekend.

He's entering the final year of his contract and they are looking to strengthen the position, I can see him leaving. The link to us being truthful is another story, though, could be just hyping interest for him.
No, it was that soft melt Onions or whatever his name is
He sounds delicious I'd sign him.

Strongest team at the moment.

1 Amos
2 Darikwa
4 Whatmough
5 Long
3 Pearce
6 Naylor
8 Cousins
7 Lang
10 Humphreys
9 Wyke
11Edwards

Subs
Power
Massey
Keane
Aassgaard
Jones
Robinson

Anyone agree or disagree or where can we strengthen

Last edited:
Sunderland don't need Wright anymore, they've signed that kid from Man City on loan who looks like he's gonna be a key player for them. No point keeping a big earner who won't be a regular starter.

Not gonna lie, we're taking a massive gamble if Wright and Whatmough are the two starting CBs when considering their injury history. Will either of them manage 40 games a piece?

Strongest team at the moment.

1 Amos
2 Darikwa
4 Whatmough
5 Long
3 Pearce
6 Naylor
8 Cousins
7 Lang
10 Humphreys
9 Wyke
11Edwards

Subs
Power
Massey
Keane
Aassgaard
Jones
Robinson

Anyone agree or disagree or where can we strengthen
I don't trust Long at all and would rather see Naylor play there, ngl, with Power playing in the middle instead.

Overall this looks correct, I think (though Lang will probably play closer to a 10 and Humphrys will move a bit forward, so like I said some days ago an upgrade to Darikwa is needed).

Edit: looking at your subs, I think.

1 Jones
2 RB
4 CB
5 CB
3 Robinson
6 Power
8 CM
7 RM
10 Aasgaard
9 Keane
11 LM

0 Massey

The 6 positions that need reinforcing (alternatively, a striker or a 10 instead of one of the wingers).

Last edited:
I don't trust Long at all and would rather see Naylor play there, ngl, with Power playing in the middle instead.

Overall this looks correct, I think (though Lang will probably play closer to a 10 and Humphrys will move a bit forward, so like I said some days before an upgrade to Darikwa is needed).

Edit: looking at your subs, I think.

1 Jones
2 RB
4 CB
5 CB
3 Robinson
6 Power
8 CM
7 RM
10 Aasgaard
9 Keane
11 LM

0 Massey

The 6 positions that need reinforcing (alternatively, a striker or a 10 instead of one of the wingers).

I wasn't sold on Long either last season. He looked good compared to Obi but from what I saw I wasn't convinced he was a L1 player.

Sunderland don't need Wright anymore, they've signed that kid from Man City on loan who looks like he's gonna be a key player for them. No point keeping a big earner who won't be a regular starter.

Not gonna lie, we're taking a massive gamble if Wright and Whatmough are the two starting CBs when considering their injury history. Will either of them manage 40 games a piece?

Doyle from City is a replacement for Sanderson who they had last season from Wolves. They still need someone to play along side him and Wright is their best centre back. They probably are planning to sign another centre back even if Wright stays, so if he goes they'll probably need 2.

He's played 40+ games in 5 of the last 9 seasons since establishing himself as first choice, and 30+ games in 7 of those 9, So while he has had some injury issues at Bristol i am not sure it's fair to say he's overly injury prone.

Last edited:
I don't think Long will feature as a starter I just listed him and Darikwa as the strongest we've got. Apart from these two where do you think we need to strejngthen the starting X1 as it stands

Unless we sign Lawrence and he does make a good difference on the side (letting Lang roam) it's crucial to get some creative CM as Naylor and Cousins have basically no verticality in them and from what I've heard play mostly the safe pass. Either way, it's something we're lacking and would open up a good bunch of options looking at different lineups.

1. LCB
2. RB
3. CB
4. CM
5. Left footed winger

Is the priority of signings, to me. Anything else (mostly attacking players?) would be a plus but not as crucial...

Unless we bench one of Humphrys or Wyke, then I guess a player of Fraser's profile would be a necessity.