Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 75 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

When asked about new signings ect Kendrick tweeted

He ( Leam) doesn't talk about stuff like that...only what's been done.

Pathetic

Last edited:
Biscuit legs Massey draining us of both wages and the physio's precious time yet again. We could have ended up signing Fraser without his wage clogging up the budget. Or maybe we're wrapping him in cotton wool in the hope that some idiots come along and take him off our hands before the window shuts.

Looked into Lawrence the lad looks a real star in the making. Primarily a flying right back but can play left back, centre half, def mid or on either wing. Gets a decent number of goals and assists for Chelsea U23s. He's been training with the first team after impressing the coaching staff and they seem to believe he has a genuine chance to break into the first team eventually.

He's apparently fast, loves to overlap from full back, comfortable on either foot, string in the tackle and a real worker but nowhere near as strong or well built as James so best suited to full back as opposed to centre back.

With our system and Wyke up front having 2 very aggressive full backs who have good delivery is going to be vital. I think Darikwa is decent but it sounds like Lawrence has real quality if he can take the step up to the men's game.

By the sounds of it this is a really exciting loan. Hopefully it comes off and he is the next James and not another Sterling.

And yet,, he would presumably want further information from the club about other stuff (even after releasing names of trialists, against the will of the club.

Cut the bloke some slack. He's a local reporter, on a regional paper, and he has on interest to maintain good relations with the club.

He's not an investigative reporter !

If the trialists are/were any good, and we sign them, we'll know their names. If they aren't/weren't any good, and they're not signed, then does it matter that we'll never know who they were?
For what it’s worth, I agree with you!

I think he does his best whilst trying to maintain a good relationship with the club. I see it as the equivalent of Laura Keunssberg, which enfuriates many but is still an acceptable source of information.

Football coverage in the Wigan local rag was always poor. Unlike some other papers under the same owners. Some of us. Might be big Latics fans but a bit of info on the local none league would be good. I know the Preston paper does.
The LEP is awful for football if you don't follow PNE. Took them ages to realise Chorley had got to a decent level and that they needed to report on them. Even now its rudimentary write ups at best unless its a big game.

Tbh I don't think you can expect Kendrick to start breaking rumours any time soon. Unlike Nixon et al he depends on the club for his job. If he starts breaking pots the club can make access harder and then you'll get even less coverage. The paper suffers from its local nature, readership is naturally limited by the size of the town and so are its resources in comparison to something as broad as the East Anglian Times

I’ve just cancelled my subscription to the Rugby post (Wigan evening post)……there’s hardly anything in about Latics……last night there was one measly little column whilst pages and pages about the Rugby……I’ve had enough.
It's a disgrace. Wigan Council were like that. Seem a little better now but they were all over Pollards 'hot air' plan. When we won the FA Cup and put Wigan on the world sporting map they were both all over us.

The LEP is awful for football if you don't follow PNE. Took them ages to realise Chorley had got to a decent level and that they needed to report on them. Even now its rudimentary write ups at best unless its a big game.

Tbh I don't think you can expect Kendrick to start breaking rumours any time soon. Unlike Nixon et al he depends on the club for his job. If he starts breaking pots the club can make access harder and then you'll get even less coverage. The paper suffers from its local nature, readership is naturally limited by the size of the town and so are its resources in comparison to something as broad as the East Anglian Times

I don't think you necessarily have to break transfer rumours to do a good job but the coverage in general is poor and it's been like that for years.

Look at what Jay Whittle managed to do as an inexperiend lad, doing it part time without full access during admin and compare it to the professional WEP content who had full access. Whittle didn't break any transfers and was never rude or aggressive in his questions but he was asking better questions, putting out more interesting content and getting on the scene faster. He pretty much filled a gap in the market the local press left but should've been all over.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on Twitter that Richardson said he wants 5-7 more players in a post match interview. I haven't seen that quote myself but if that was accurate based on trialists, what we've been linked with and what we've got I'm guessing;

1. Right back (Lawrence?)
2. Centre back
3. Centre back
4. Left Winger
5. Creative attacking mid
6. Centre mid
7. Striker

I imagine we will be filling a number of those spots with loans and we will probably only get some of them on deadline day. I think if we can get a good centre half to partner Whatmough asap then we probably aren't as urgent on the rest.

I read somewhere on Twitter that Richardson said he wants 5-7 more players in a post match interview. I haven't seen that quote myself but if that was accurate based on trialists, what we've been linked with and what we've got I'm guessing;

1. Right back (Lawrence?)
2. Centre back
3. Centre back
4. Left Winger
5. Creative attacking mid
6. Centre mid
7. Striker

I imagine we will be filling a number of those spots with loans and we will probably only get some of them on deadline day. I think if we can get a good centre half to partner Whatmough asap then we probably aren't as urgent on the rest.
Hm, I think this is pretty accurate (not sure about yet another striker, though, another winger is more likely). I do think a centre mid with any sort of creativity is direly needed.

I don't think you necessarily have to break transfer rumours to do a good job but the coverage in general is poor and it's been like that for years.

Look at what Jay Whittle managed to do as an inexperiend lad, doing it part time without full access during admin and compare it to the professional WEP content who had full access. Whittle didn't break any transfers and was never rude or aggressive in his questions but he was asking better questions, putting out more interesting content and getting on the scene faster. He pretty much filled a gap in the market the local press left but should've been all over.
Jay can also do all that knowing that he doesn't need to get good access to the club players and officials to fill regular column inches each week. The motivating factors are very different.

It takes an extraordinary pair of cojones to start biting the hand that feeds you.

Sunderland fan site saying they think Bailey Wright is on his way here. Would be a quality signing if it's true.

He was also until quite recently Bristol City captain so that gives us yet another EFL captain to add to a team already full of leaders