Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 70 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Quoted as being very slow,poor with the ball and average at best seems quite condemning to me about a player pon!
It is, but that's quoted from what fans of his previous clubs have said, not what people on here are saying... I'll be honest, I'd rather not sign a player whose previous clubs' fans say stuff like that about him, but it's not condemning him. If he does sign, I'll support him like I would any Latics player.

Quoted as being very slow,poor with the ball and average at best seems quite condemning to me about a player pon!

Would you prefer me to lie and say his previous fans said he was fast, excellent on the ball and he was exceptional or them? They also said he was very good in the air but you didn't mention having an issue with their opinion on that - are we only accepting positive feedback and rejecting the negative?

Every time we sign a new player we look at what other fans say about them to get an idea what they could be like. If their fans give unflattering feedback should we censor it?

If others fans say a player is good, bad or indifferent it doesn't mean they will be like that for us. It just means that is what he was like for them.

Maybe just say nothing until we actually sign a player and give him a chance on the pitch,You may look at what other fans say about players but i prefer to judge for myself,other fans normally have a downer on players leaving so will comment that way!
I don't think he is doing anything unreasonable at all. You wouldn't get excited if Fraser joins or would you reserve any sort of opinion on the deal until you see him play for Wigan? Weren't you excited when signing Humphrys and Wyke?

I don't think he is doing anything unreasonable at all. You wouldn't get excited if Fraser joins (or actually, weren't you after signing Humphrys and Wyke) or will you reserve any sort of opinion on the deal until you see them play?
Yes I will reserve opinion until i see them,years of watching have taught me that this is the best way to be!Seen my share of" worldbeaters" we have supposedly signed who were anything but,And my share of "Donkeys" that turned out to be Thoroughbreds!

Oh dear... 😳😬🤦‍♂️😂
To be fair, it is probably one of the most "in house" derbies in the world 😂
Everyone in the world knows what the Old Firm derby can be like, but not many people know about the Dundee derby.

Believe it or not, 3 of Dundee United's 5 major trophies were won across the road at Dens Park (1979/80 and 1980/81 Scottish League Cup and 1982/83 SPL Title).

In my previous incarnation as a Man United ST holder in the 80’s (I was only 8 or 9 and my dad & granddad had been ST holders there for decades) one of the best games I ever saw was against Dundee United - they had a fantastic team back then & I think United just about managed to squeeze through over the 2 legs

I’m sure that I remember reading a book by an Aberdeen hooligan where it’s said that the 2 Dundee “firms” team up when the big clubs come to town coz its the only way they can get the numbers needed

Yes I will reserve opinion until i see them,years of watching have taught me that this is the best way to be!Seen my share of" worldbeaters" we have supposedly signed who were anything but,And my share of "Donkeys" that turned out to be Thoroughbreds!
Great for you I guess just keep in mind it's a discussion board and people will... Discuss '-'/

In my experience most bad deals are correctly seen as such beforehand, though there are exceptions, sure. In this case I don't think this player lines even with the idea that the rest of the team is being built around and I'd be shocked if he's even signed.

Last edited:
In my previous incarnation as a Man United ST holder in the 80’s (I was only 8 or 9 and my dad & granddad had been ST holders there for decades) one of the best games I ever saw was against Dundee United - they had a fantastic team back then & I think United just about managed to squeeze through over the 2 legs

I’m sure that I remember reading a book by an Aberdeen hooligan where it’s said that the 2 Dundee “firms” team up when the big clubs come to town coz its the only way they can get the numbers needed
That was the last 16 of the 84/85 UEFA Cup, I think highlights of both legs are on YouTube.
If memory serves me right, Man Utd's winner took a huge deflection which completely wrong footed the keeper.
The season before that they reached the European Cup Semi Final, losing controversially to Roma.
It wasn't controversial at the time, but some years later, the referee in charge of the 2nd leg admitted to taking a £50k bribe from the Roma Chairman to make sure they won.

I started following them in the 86/87, partly due to the ban on English clubs due to Heysel, and partly due to having a brand spanking new portable colour TV in my bedroom, so watching late night programmes such as Sportsnight became easier (I was only 8 at the time lol), also because of the ban, Scottish clubs were getting more TV coverage than normal, and my love of The Arabs quickly grew.
In fact, that season they reached the UEFA Cup Final, knocking out Terry Venables Barcelona on the way.

I think I've read the same book.
I know their rivalry is up there with the Old Firm, but the fact they're in such close proximity to each other, there's almost a family sibling rivalry feel to it.

Maybe just say nothing until we actually sign a player and give him a chance on the pitch,You may look at what other fans say about players but i prefer to judge for myself,other fans normally have a downer on players leaving so will comment that way!

No one is saying you should judge them before seeing them play for us. In fact the opposite - I've literally said a few times players perform differently at different clubs and sited Dan Burn as an example for us compared to Fulham.

I'm not sure why you feel so insecure about hearing what other fans have said about a player if you are so certain you're only going to judge them yourself.

I'm going to judge him on what he does in a Wigan shirt but it's also interesting to get some insight into how he's done elsewhere as we have done for every other player.

Great for you I guess just keep in mind it's a discussion board and people will... Discuss '-'/

In my experience most bad deals are correctly seen as such beforehand, though there are exceptions, sure. In this case I don't think this player lines even with the idea the rest of the team that is being built around and I'd be shocked if he's even signed.
Giving it a second and third thought I think he could be very useful in a very specific role, which is riding the bench until the last quarter of the game if leading, when we would need to sit back a bit. Anything else tells me this story is just a lazy "copy-paste" from last year.

Jarvo saying his sources saying Edwards isn't happening now and is going to sign a new deal at Dundee. As always take everything with a pinch of salt.

If true from what i read about Edwards i'm not disappointed if we look elsewhere.

Ipswich apparently are the club about to sign Fraser according to their local press not us.

Ipswich are going for it. We must have other targets for that position. We’ll just have to move on to the next one. Maybe we already have. I’m sure Jarvo will tell us

Ipswich are going for it. We must have other targets for that position. We’ll just have to move on to the next one. Maybe we already have. I’m sure Jarvo will tell us

Erm ..... are you sure you've posted this on the right thread Swindon? :hmmm: