Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 35 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Power brings a lot of experience, he might be the most experienced l1 player we'll have here this season. He turns 28 next month, played over 260 league 1 games, 43 in the championship and 45 in league 2.

Naylor turns 30 in a week or two and has played a few games less.

Last time Power was not championship standard and was moved on because of it. His work ethic has been known to be excellent in training, hopefully he's improved.

His final season for Tranmere, 7 goals and 7 assists.

1st season for us, 6 goals and 8 assists. Championship season, 0 goals and 6 assists. 2nd league 1 season, 5 goals and 7 assists.

He created 7, 3 and 8 in his 3 seasons at Sunderland.

He's also finished 1st with us twice in l1. 5th, 8th and 4th with Sunderland.

With Naylor's team finishing 4th, 5th and 8th. Cousins always playing at a higher standard, we've probably never had the type of experience at this level before.

I know he had a fall out with Cook and was dropped for a while then came back in and played well.

Never heard of him saying he's too good for League 1, pinch of salt on that one.

Sam Vokes in talks to join Shrewsbury on loan apparently - could be a real coup for them. One I'd like us to consider.
Not for me, his scoring record is pretty poor for a striker - 1 in 5 overall and failed to score in 30 appearances in the league last year. I know it has almost always been at a higher level but I think there are better strikers available out there at the moment value for money wise.

I think the fact that it buggers up the international calendar and the majority of domestic leagues is a good enough reason why.

That is a good enough reason but there are lot more even worse reasons.

I look forward to how the England team will address the human rights issues / slave labour being used to build the stadiums they will be expected to play in for the next world cup.

Not for me, his scoring record is pretty poor for a striker - 1 in 5 overall and failed to score in 30 appearances in the league last year. I know it has almost always been at a higher level but I think there are better strikers available out there at the moment value for money wise.

Personally I think he's one of many players for whatever reason struggled at Stoke but has been a great player over the years even if not always the most prolific and will probably rediscover his form once he leaves especially if he dropped to L1.

We need a target man for sure, my first choice would've been Stockley who just went to Charlton for 400k. But someone like Vokes on loan could be a massive signing at this level.

New kitman.
https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....kitman-ali-completes-transfer-wigan-athletic/

On Vokes, he fired Burnley to the premier league twice. Players like Afobe signed for Stoke for over 10m and haven't scored many goals. They have a very experienced side and possibly Vokes isn't suited to that club.

I've not seen him play outside of the games against us, but Richardson and Dyche have some similarities when it comes to player conditionig, could be a good fit but who knows.

New kitman.
https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....kitman-ali-completes-transfer-wigan-athletic/

On Vokes, he fired Burnley to the premier league twice. Players like Afobe signed for Stoke for over 10m and haven't scored many goals. They have a very experienced side and possibly Vokes isn't suited to that club.

I've not seen him play outside of the games against us, but Richardson and Dyche have some similarities when it comes to player conditionig, could be a good fit but who knows.

I wonder if he is over qualified,
he has a masters degree in law!!

I wonder if he is over qualified,
he has a masters degree in law!!

Yeah fair play to him, could be a tactical genius like on Ted lasso. In all seriousness though he must be a good person to have around the club, 14 years at Stanley.

Gonna get this out of the way and "come clean": I'm from Argentina and I support River Plate.

While I always watched English football (when I was a teenager no one paid the "football" pack so my generation ended up watching more euro football than our own, lol) I only started following Wigan with that L1 promotion team. Great football coming from a team with quality individuals, beautiful colours and huge underdog stories under its belt. I'm still here, looking for news in a board that took me forever to find, so my "plastic" love is pretty significant, lol.

In any case, back on topic, I'm really surprised to read some people being rather indifferent towards Max coming back. He's not world beater and showed he wasn't championship ready, but he was part of that team that played beautiful football, loves the club and now carries enough experience to be dependable (while still being in his physical prime). You don't find that everywhere.

Despite him playing mostly in the middle before, I can actually see Max starting at RB (...unless someone extremely qualified joins the club) and along with Pearce you'd have what's probably the best crossing fullback duo in the league. Really excited to have him back.

Personally I think he's one of many players for whatever reason struggled at Stoke but has been a great player over the years even if not always the most prolific and will probably rediscover his form once he leaves especially if he dropped to L1.

We need a target man for sure, my first choice would've been Stockley who just went to Charlton for 400k. But someone like Vokes on loan could be a massive signing at this level.
100% everything in this message. I'm rather shocked he'd go to Shrewsbury in the first place though (no intention to offend them obviously).

Edit: speaking of, was the Lafferty link anything reliable or just needless smoke?

Last edited:
Someone on twitter (don't know if he's reputable or a chancer) saying we've "won the race" for Flores. Wouldn't mind him back to give more bodies in the middle and the threat of a worldy now and then...

Someone on twitter (don't know if he's reputable or a chancer) saying we've "won the race" for Flores. Wouldn't mind him back to give more bodies in the middle and the threat of a worldy now and then...
Nah that is jonny hulme he is full of it he got exposed other week. When Dean windass called him out on his lies. Because jonny claimed josh was going to hull when he was not. Some of his other greats include smurthwaite had bought us and Alex Neill was leaving Preston go to Bristol City.