Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 34 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Most likely you're right, he did play a lot of football last season at fullback though.

Him and Naylor both like to play on the right of a midfield 2 and Naylor got 3 year deal.

Depends entirely on which system of 4231 Leam is going for, if he decides to use that system this season.

When he pushes the fullbacks on and the two defensive midfielders basically play fullback when attacking and the attacking midfielders central we'll need different players to suit. Compared to the more standard version which can require more creativity central.

I think Naylor's extra year was probably all down to the fact he was about to sign 3 years at Mansfield and we had to match it or lose him. As it was Mansfield I imagine the salary wasn't that large either so he's probably on a cheaper weekly wage than some of the other new lads to balance it out.

But it's a nice problem to have that 2 of the captains of the bigger sides from last term may not be automatic starters for us next year. With the 5 subs rule and flexibility of the 2 players I think both will probably be used every week even one way or another.

I think Naylor's extra year was probably all down to the fact he was about to sign 3 years at Mansfield and we had to match it or lose him. As it was Mansfield I imagine the salary wasn't that large either so he's probably on a cheaper weekly wage than some of the other new lads to balance it out.

But it's a nice problem to have that 2 of the captains of the bigger sides from last term may not be automatic starters for us next year. With the 5 subs rule and flexibility of the 2 players I think both will probably be used every week even one way or another.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see where they all play. Naylor along side Whatmough at the back would be decent, seeing as they both know each other for atleast 3 years. Not sure how often they've paired at the back though.

Max played less than i thought at fullback, looks like 15 starts and 29 in midfield last season in l1 scoring 5, assisting 3. Best return for Sunderland in his 3 seasons. Created 12 and 14 in our two l1 seasons.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see where they all play. Naylor along side Whatmough at the back would be decent, seeing as they both know each other for atleast 3 years. Not sure how often they've paired at the back though.

Max played less than i thought at fullback, looks like 15 starts and 29 in midfield last season in l1 scoring 5, assisting 3. Best return for Sunderland in his 3 seasons. Created 12 and 14 in our two l1 seasons.

I think Naylor rarely played centre back at Pompey, I think it will be the same here as we'll likely sign another 2 CBs yet. I think we'll try for Tilt and it's if Rotherham want to keep him.

I think Max having less assists will be down to McGeady and even Maguire taking set pieces ahead of him. In his last season in particular his set piece delivery was pretty good.

Just bring Walton and Grigg back and we have a squad that could challenge for the top six. :yes:

I think we'll get Grigg and I bet we have asked about Walton but I think he'll end up at a lower end championship club.

Kipre, Williams both not seen much game time and Dunkley could hand in his notice and leave Sheffield Wednesday after not being paid - it's not totally outside the realms of possibility we could see more reunions yet on loan if they are out of favour late in the window.

Talals at it again dropping hints about signings.
Nixon also saying there's a chance Max Power could come back if terms are right.

I must apologise for saying the things I do about nixon, what a scoop master he is, posting this insider snippet on twitter at about the same time WAFC were announcing the signing.

We are building a very decent team at the moment. Power should hit the ground running, be nice to see Grigg back and scoring.

I really cant wait for the season to start, there's such a feel good factor around the fans and it feels a lot like when we last won League One on that fantastic day at Donny.
We have made what I think are some really good signings so far and who knows who"s yet to come Walton would be a great signing I'm a bit 50/50 on Grigg but Talal and his team certainly look to me as though they are definitely going for it this season.

A bit of rose tinted specs with all the fuss over Max Power coming back imho. He's a great lad, fantastic attitude and personality, but let's not kid ourselves, he was / is a pretty average player.

Not saying I'm displeased that we've re-signed him, but it's very much a 'meh' moment for me. Other players we've signed are much more exciting in my book.

A bit of rose tinted specs with all the fuss over Max Power coming back imho. He's a great lad, fantastic attitude and personality, but let's not kid ourselves, he was / is a pretty average player.

Not saying I'm displeased that we've re-signed him, but it's very much a 'meh' moment for me. Other players we've signed are much more exciting in my book.

Last time round I thought he was very over-rated and couldn't understand why he kept getting linked with "bigger" clubs. Personally I thought that other players were more important and contributed far more than Max Power did
That said, he's proved he's capable of being part of Lge1 winning & promotion challenging squads so it's a progression in the quality of squad recruitment in my eyes

We are doing some great business so far. Having max back is quite simply a lift to the whole club. He gets it, he can breathe that to other players. And most importantly with Naylor and now power, we have some great leaders at the club

I agree that Power's personal popularity means some folks are seeing things a bit rose coloured - social media in particular has gone a bit over the top.

I would also agree in his first 2 years with us he was massively over rated - but in that final year after he came back from the brief fall out with Cook he really stepped up and was a very good. Max at the time said he worked extra hard training alone to improve and it did show. Hopefully that is the version of Power we'll be getting back.