Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 25 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Just seen an article where Karl Robinson is complaining about other teams spending power in L1. He says one club offered a defender 10k a week.

When you look around the division i'm not sure there has been a higher profile defender move than Whatmough to us - so if he is accurate and you were trying to work out who he is talking about we would seem to fit the bill, but i can't see us offering 10k a week.

Looking at other bigger clubs, I don't think Sheff Wed are in a position to offer anyone anything in their situation, Pompey are making cuts, maybe Chalrton have an offer on a player at that amount? Possibly Sunderland as they have been big spenders and have a contract to O'Nein, considering he's one of their better players and they were previously paying McGeady 18k a week, maybe he's the best fit.

More interested in Whatmoughs contract length, but I doubt he is on 10k a week

Some of their fan sites mentioned his old contract was 3.1k, no idea if thats close to being true. He wanted to re-sign, even on reduced terms but wanted longer than 1 year.

Was reported on bbc 2 years but they changed the info later that day, not sure if they made an error or if it was accurate.

It seems the current project is going to be over the next two seasons. Possibly th3 players who step up will get longer and the rest restructured at that point. But thats guess work i've no idea.

I can't see it being 10k a week either.

Whatmough was offered 1 year with a second year triggered by a number of appearances at Pompey. So he at least got 2 years off us, if not 3.
In his interview with the local Pompey paper he said he'd got a 2 year contract with an option for a 3'rd year!Also money was not behind the move

Just seen an article where Karl Robinson is complaining about other teams spending power in L1. He says one club offered a defender 10k a week.

When you look around the division i'm not sure there has been a higher profile defender move than Whatmough to us - so if he is accurate and you were trying to work out who he is talking about we would seem to fit the bill, but i can't see us offering 10k a week.

Looking at other bigger clubs, I don't think Sheff Wed are in a position to offer anyone anything in their situation, Pompey are making cuts, maybe Chalrton have an offer on a player at that amount? Possibly Sunderland as they have been big spenders and have a contract to O'Nein, considering he's one of their better players and they were previously paying McGeady 18k a week, maybe he's the best fit.

I read the interview with Robinson. I would take what he says with a pinch of salt.
He moaned about teams in L1 offering big wages and it wasn't fair but in the next breath saying Oxford have money to spend giving them an advantage and looking to push on.
He's probably lost a player he expected to sign and blaming other clubs supposed spending.

In his interview with the local Pompey paper he said he'd got a 2 year contract with an option for a 3'rd year!Also money was not behind the move

I saw that quote from him, but i don't really believe it. When players say 'it's not about the money' we all know the money plays a huge part - even contract length is about money as it's effectively the guaranteed amount they will earn. That's not a critasism just a statement of reality.

Players always feel like they can't ever be honest for fear they'll get slated if they admit it, but the reality is anyone in their position would of course be looking at the money side of things as they would if they were in any other job.

Most players in the lower leagues wont make those heights where they make life changing money so they need to make the most of their short career earnings before joining the real world in the mid 30's. So i think it's completely understandable that the players are driven by where they can earn the most.

I personally have no issue with players moving for the money as long as they are committed to the club while under contract and work as hard as they can to earn it once they are here.

Some of their fan sites mentioned his old contract was 3.1k, no idea if thats close to being true. He wanted to re-sign, even on reduced terms but wanted longer than 1 year.

Was reported on bbc 2 years but they changed the info later that day, not sure if they made an error or if it was accurate.

It seems the current project is going to be over the next two seasons. Possibly th3 players who step up will get longer and the rest restructured at that point. But thats guess work i've no idea.
3.1 k a week or 150 odd k a year in League 1 is one hell of a salary for anyone.
Ten times the salary of many supporters.
Football is ridiculous. As for those prats in the Euros.. a bloody joke.

3.1 k a week or 150 odd k a year in League 1 is one hell of a salary for anyone.

Premier league and championship players have 45% of their wages taxed, not sure how it works at other levels. Think any player on 3k or more per a week gets 45% rate.

You're right its alot of money and each level of football in England keeps getting more investment. Can't imagine where the finances will get to one day.

It is a lot of money but that is way above the average salary at this level. If you can make 3k a week and have a long career you'll probably set yourself up for a comfortable life after football if you're sensible. But most players in L1 today wont ever make that and may drop down for less money or even drop out of the game. Many will have to go and get a real job as there are only so many positions for pundits, coaches, club ambassadors etc which must be a hard transition after playing football for a living.

We all think footballers are minted but in L1 and L2 for the most part the gap between fans and players wage isn't as far as I think we imagine.

Every windows for years there was always a lot of speculation about Marcus Maddison but he never got his big move and when you looked at his stats it never made sense.

He recently quit pro football at 27 despite his obvious ability - here's an interesting interview I found where he talks about it and maybe it gives a little insight into why he never got picked up.

Crying shame all that talent not ever living up to it's potential. If he had his head straight there was no reason he couldn't have progressed like Dack.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/marcus-maddison-tells-why-chose-to-play-in-englands-eighth-tier/

Premier league and championship players have 45% of their wages taxed, not sure how it works at other levels. Think any player on 3k or more per a week gets 45% rate.

You're right its alot of money and each level of football in England keeps getting more investment. Can't imagine where the finances will get to one day.
They pay the same taxes as the rest of us.
Tax free allowance, then at 20% up to £37.7k, then at 40%. Above £150k is at 45%

Footy players contribute to their PFA pension, which will reduce their tax bill and help stop them hitting the top tax band. Pretty sure they can begin to draw their pensions at 40-45 years of age.

Latest rumour is Tranmere are trying to sign Merrie on a free.

Merrie did improve as the season went, but i don't think he'd get many starts if he stayed and ultimately wouldn't be much of a loss if he went.

Tranmere rumoured to be offering a contract to Chris Merrie

Whilst it's sad to see a home grown player leave, I think it'd be a good move for him. Realistically I can't see him getting much first team action for us next season. He's not a kid any more at 22, and if he's going to have a decent career in the coming years, he needs to be playing first team games regularly right now.

I hope this (or a better move) comes off and wish him all the very best wherever he goes.