Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 23 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

I never heard any rumours about what it could be, but whatever it was Cole (along with a few others) were certainly on Cooks shit list and it seemed once you were on it, you might as well pack your bags as you had little chance of ever getting a second chance.

If lateness was the only reason he froze Cole or other players out I'd be quite disappointed, you certainly need to have discipline but surely there has to be a chance for players to get a second chance that rarely seemed to happen.

Kal Naismith seemed to get off Cook's "shit list" as you put it. Listen to his interview with Jay Whittle where he talks about training with the stiffs etc.

He was Cook's go to man in the end. Some people just don't react correctly when being challenged.

Dont know, its tuesday today on our world
Do know it's Tuesday.
Today is today in both our worlds.
Instead of the smart ass comment, consider that Charlz posted at 12.15. Any news that is reported up until this point on a Tuesday would have been generated on Monday.

EDIT decided to delete my comment about not providing complete explanations on an Internet message board, didn't want to offend.

Last edited:
I never heard any rumours about what it could be, but whatever it was Cole (along with a few others) were certainly on Cooks shit list and it seemed once you were on it, you might as well pack your bags as you had little chance of ever getting a second chance.

If lateness was the only reason he froze Cole or other players out I'd be quite disappointed, you certainly need to have discipline but surely there has to be a chance for players to get a second chance that rarely seemed to happen.
Colclough and Walker got similar treatment if I recall. Cook never stood for poor discipline in training - weren't Bogle and Gilbey sold after they started scrapping in training?

Do know it's Tuesday.
Today is today in both our worlds.
Instead of the smart ass comment, consider that Charlz posted at 12.15. Any news that is reported up until this point on a Tuesday would have been generated on Monday.

EDIT decided to delete my comment about not providing complete explanations on an Internet message board, didn't want to offend.
Won't offend me, I will just laugh at you

Nick Powell must have been a special case then ;)

He never seemed to get into Cooks bad books though. Others like Jack Byrne, MacDonald, Cole, Jamie Walker, etc seemed to be in the bad books nearly immediately and never came out of them.

Colclough and Walker got similar treatment if I recall. Cook never stood for poor discipline in training - weren't Bogle and Gilbey sold after they started scrapping in training?

I think i read that rumour about Bogle and Gilbey on here - wasn't it from Grip / Stormin Norman?

But when you look at it Bogle was frozen out immediately while Gilbey continued to be used until MK bought him on deadline day. So it seemed strange if it was a fight and Cook wanted rid of both but treated them so differently.

Cook clearly had some reason to want rid, but i'm not sure if the fight story is credible.

Sharpe signings

But players Shaun MacDonald and Jack Byrne were inherited like Grigg, Jacobs, Burn, Powell, etc - but they never seemed to get a crack.

For Cole and Walker - i've heard that but Dunkley and Massey were Sharpe's signings and he had no issue using them. So i think there must be more too it.

But players Shaun MacDonald and Jack Byrne were inherited like Grigg, Jacobs, Burn, Powell, etc - but they never seemed to get a crack.

For Cole and Walker - i've heard that but Dunkley and Massey were Sharpe's signings and he had no issue using them. So i think there must be more too it.
Thought Walker was bought as back up in a January window, to bolster the promotion squad.
Also that he could not cope with physical nature of where he was wanted to play. As I type this I admit it does sound bobbins, but that is what I recall from press reports at the time.

All the players and football staff went on the pre season trip to Spain when Cook 1st arrived.
I always took this as a getting to know you exercise for Cook to see what had inherited.
If you weren't a Cook person then you were off. Simple as that.

I did hear round about that time when Bogle had signed the previous January he'd got a decent pay rise and turned into Billy big bollocks. Renting an apartment in Manchester and going out drinking etc.

He never seemed to get into Cooks bad books though. Others like Jack Byrne, MacDonald, Cole, Jamie Walker, etc seemed to be in the bad books nearly immediately and never came out of them.

My point was more with regard to his (reported) dislike for training.

Not sure I'd include Mc Donald with that group ....... he was meant to be a model pro, unlucky to get a bad injury, and then struggled to make an impact.

Maybe Cook didn't fancy him, but I doubt it was anything to do with being in his bad books.

Cole had a habit of turning up late for training if I remember the terrace rumours correctly. Cook apparently had a zero tolerance approach to tardiness.

I’m pretty certain that’s what did for the other young Chelsea loaner we got after James
Remember reading an interview with another player where he mentioned how many times he’d been hauled in to Cook’s office for rocking up late for training

My point was more with regard to his (reported) dislike for training.

Not sure I'd include Mc Donald with that group ....... he was meant to be a model pro, unlucky to get a bad injury, and then struggled to make an impact.

Maybe Cook didn't fancy him, but I doubt it was anything to do with being in his bad books.

But Cook did seem to go out of his way to avoid using MacDonald or even put him on the bench even when we had injuries and he was available. He played defenders in midfield ahead of MacDonald- despite his immaculate reputation as a pro - he was treated like the others.

McMannaman was one Cook admitted himself he never gave a fair chance to but unlike the rest at least he got a few mins as sub now and again.

Never known a Latics manager to freeze out as many players as Cook.

As expected Jamie Jones signs 2 year contract extension. Comments from Richardson stop short of saying he's established himself as no.1 so hopefully Jones will be just back up.

Fraser apparently in demand from Championship clubs Hull and Barnsley. Not surprised at all, if we were the only club showing interest we'd have been very lucky - can't see us tempting him if he can go to the Championship. Twine from Swindon who scored 2 against us lined up by MK as potential replacement apparently. He'd be worth a look for us if we are going to miss out on Fraser.

I’m pretty certain that’s what did for the other young Chelsea loaner we got after James
Remember reading an interview with another player where he mentioned how many times he’d been hauled in to Cook’s office for rocking up late for training
Nothing wrong with that. If you can’t be disciplined and turn up for training on time you don’t deserve to be a professional player as far as I am concerned

As expected Jamie Jones signs 2 year contract extension. Comments from Richardson stop short of saying he's established himself as no.1 so hopefully Jones will be just back up.

Fraser apparently in demand from Championship clubs Hull and Barnsley. Not surprised at all, if we were the only club showing interest we'd have been very lucky - can't see us tempting him if he can go to the Championship. Twine from Swindon who scored 2 against us lined up by MK as potential replacement apparently. He'd be worth a look for us if we are going to miss out on Fraser.
Twine has signed for MK. No wonder they were talking about another striker option if they couldn’t get Grigg. Twine was linked with Championship clubs last season so that is a shrewd bit of business. He was the sort of player I thought we might be after as he has real potential

What’s the clip with Scharner in all about……is he coming back as part of the background team, I wonder……I know he was working with us last season. I’d love Scharner back, in ANY capacity