Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 22 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

I'm not sure if bringing Grigg back is a good idea.
On one hand with Lang, Keane, Aasgard and any other signings behind him Will could replicate his past form.
But on the other he's 30 next birthday and possibly past his best.
Do we want to give him a 2/3 year deal and him not be playing as we may be a Championship club with better players?
Maybe a season loan would suit us.

As for Lafferty the fact he's had a number of clubs and doesn't seem to settle anywhere suggests he's a bad influence or he flatters to deceive and he's quickly found.

No thanks to Lafferty, Grigg would be the sort of player we want as we need a real poacher and he is definitely capable at this level, Aasgard on the Left, Lang on the Right, Keane in behind supporting Grigg with Fraser and Ojo behind him being barked around by Whatmough. Not greedy

Lafferty doesn't excite me much, but with that said he's got a decent record and he's a big lad so wouldn't be a bad second option to change things up if we're playing with a smaller striker as first option. Wouldn't want to see a lot being spent on his wages though and at 34 I wouldn't want to be giving him more than a one year deal if we do make a move for him.

I'm on the fence with Grigg. His age isn't a concern, since at 29 we'd get three good years out of him, and he's not horrifically injury prone. My real concern is one of expectation. He did well at the back end of last season but he was very poor at Sunderland. If we give him a 3 year deal and he doesn't perform, he'll be a big slice of our wage budget for a long time. I'd also be a bit worried that he could potentially be getting in the first team because of who he is rather than what he's actually delivering, which could prevent the likes of Lang getting the minutes he thoroughly deserves. That said, I really like Will and if sentimentality comes into it I'd love to see him back... Good old fashioned head vs heart debate there.

Jack Whatmough looks like a great signing for us, and I wonder if his arrival is why we weren't willing to push the boat out further for Johnston. Signing both could have left us with too many players in the same positions, all taking good wages with some rarely being used, which wouldn't be good for the club or the players. If Whatmough is going to be first choice, then Johnston could have become a very expensive bench warmer. I really want to see Curtis Tilt back though: I thought he was an absolute rock at the back end of the season once he was in a settled partnership and is definitely captain material. I think he be well worth paying good money for.

I'm not sure if bringing Grigg back is a good idea.
On one hand with Lang, Keane, Aasgard and any other signings behind him Will could replicate his past form.
But on the other he's 30 next birthday and possibly past his best.
Do we want to give him a 2/3 year deal and him not be playing as we may be a Championship club with better players?
Maybe a season loan would suit us.

As for Lafferty the fact he's had a number of clubs and doesn't seem to settle anywhere suggests he's a bad influence or he flatters to deceive and he's quickly found.

If he helps gets us into the Championship and even with 2yrs left on a contract then it's a no brainer for me.

Nixon said we were in for an other centre half other than Whatmough - that's not to say we didn't offer a contract to Johnston as a third centre half.

I'm not sure if that centre half would've been Tilt or not, but i can't imagine us not trying to get him back or go for an upgrade as the Swindon game showed without him the whole defence collapsed.

So i think it's safe to say if Johnston was offered a contract he'd have been 3rd choice behind at least Whatmough and Tilt / his replacement.

I agree, and for me that is what tipped the balance. Although he is an inexperienced player at the level he got a taste of regular football and wanted more.

I don't blame the lad for wanting to play every week and hope that is what he gets.

Meanwhile we move on and hopefully bring in either Tilt or someone equally as committed in the tackle and hopefully a little more skilful on the ball.

Not a great fan of Lafferty although I think you are right in that we need a target man. Grigg would be a good signing with the likes of Lang, Keane and VSO/Aasgaard supplying the ammunition but is not a physical player and so we probably need to look again at getting in someone to play that roll and give us the option.

Assuming we keep Pearce and he finds the form from early last season his crosses will cause problems for opponents and we need a player who can take advantage of that.

It seems quiet on here today…..has anyone any news or do you think we are waiting for the transfer window to open tomorrow

Former Wigan players Devante Cole joins Barnsley from Motherwell and left back Reece James joins Blackpool from Doncaster both on free transfers.

I thought Devante had lots of potential but there seemed like there must something off the pitch at multiple clubs holding him back.

James i thought was ok, but nothing more than that.

Suprised to see both go to the Championship.

Former Wigan players Devante Cole joins Barnsley from Motherwell and left back Reece James joins Blackpool from Doncaster both on free transfers.

I thought Devante had lots of potential but there seemed like there must something off the pitch at multiple clubs holding him back.

James i thought was ok, but nothing more than that.

Suprised to see both go to the Championship.
Cole had a habit of turning up late for training if I remember the terrace rumours correctly. Cook apparently had a zero tolerance approach to tardiness.

It seems quiet on here today…..has anyone any news or do you think we are waiting for the transfer window to open tomorrow

You can sign whoever you want, it's just the transfer of registrations can't take place until the window opens but that is a non issue since no one is playing any games.

So no one will be waiting on the window, all the clubs will be plugging away behind the scenes trying to get deals done but i imagine there will be a lot of waiting on decisions from players and clubs as everyone weights up their options, negotiates and plans change as targets come on and off the market.

Cole had a habit of turning up late for training if I remember the terrace rumours correctly. Cook apparently had a zero tolerance approach to tardiness.

I never heard any rumours about what it could be, but whatever it was Cole (along with a few others) were certainly on Cooks shit list and it seemed once you were on it, you might as well pack your bags as you had little chance of ever getting a second chance.

If lateness was the only reason he froze Cole or other players out I'd be quite disappointed, you certainly need to have discipline but surely there has to be a chance for players to get a second chance that rarely seemed to happen.

Cole thought himself a rudeboi with a hobby that earned him decent spends, not an employee with a job.