Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 16 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

I got a feeling Leam was not overly fussed on Johnston, we don't even know the ins and outs of it. But you have to realise is that only when Wooton got injured, Johnston actually played. I do think we missed out somewhere, but Leam clearly had other ideas.

More importantly, the fact we signed Jack Whatmough is great intent and a major upgrade to the lads here last season, just the start of a busy busy window, and a great start to add. I assume there will be 3 more signings considering Tal put four pens in his tweet!

He didn't cover himself in glory after Tilt got wrongly sent off against Swindon, and that maybe why Richardson hasn't taken it any further.
I agree with Wootton though, even though he's only 29, he looks finished at this level.

That is true also Richardson pretty much immediately dropped and replaced him after he first signed and only played him when Wooton was injured - so it does seem Richardson was never that keen. Although I'd have thought Johnston did enough to be offered a contract it probably isn't as big a surprise when you really think about it that Richardson didn't want him. As if we went Bolton it was most likely because we didn't offer a deal.

Good luck to him at Bolton if we had wanted him I'm sure we would have got him
So I'm sure lead was not interested in the end

We need to be looking past players we signed last season they did a decent job for us in the situation, but the players we did sign last year did finish 20th.

Signing players like Whatmough is the way to go if we wanna be challenging next year
But that was in very different circumstances to every other club in the league and we had nearly 40 players who -played for us last season so the ones who we finished with were way better than 20th place players, although we do need to upgrade on some of them

For all of Johnston’s tenacity in the tackle and his ball playing he was caught out a few times by losing his man which led to goals. Now he can improve in that department but we know very well the types of defenders we need at this level. They need to be big, strong and able to roll their sleeves up and be big and hairy when required. In our successful seasons at this level we had Pearce and Morgan and then Dunkley and Burn. Both of those pairings were solid and knew how to defend

No shock Evans went. He will certainly be a loss at this level - sounds like Ipswich might be paying over the odds in wages so can't blame him for taking it or us not bettering it.

He's a top L1 player but not a Championship player so if you are going to pay the type of wage apparently needed to keep him you'd probably want someone who had shown more in the Championship.

Wish him well just not well enough to finish above us next season.

Personally I thought Lee Evans was a very good player for us Mr Dick !

I recon the reason he left is that Wigan didn’t come up with the necessary - I think he will be missed !.

It needs to be remembered that the owners need to pay for about 15 new additions as well as our contracted players. Paying what Lee Evan's would want just isn't realistic this window