Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 4 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

I'm not saying keep all of those players, we likely couldn't even if LR wanted to, but we don't need the number of changes that many seem to be advocating.

I think that we do need a lot of changes as that squad isn't good enough for anything above bottom half
I guess it's down to whether the club wants a slow rebuild or try & make a quick jump out of the division.
Personally after the last 12 months a comfortable, not fighting relegation, season in the bottom half would be fine by me. If the owners want us to challenge for the top half/play offs then we'll need I think at least the amount KDZ mentions
If they want to try & jump up straight away (which I think would come way to soon & not be a good idea long term) then they'll need more still

If the squad cap stays in place that means we can have 21 players plus any under 20's as extra - Long, Asgaard, Robinson and anyone else we bring up from youth set up don't count towards the limit i believe. So we have space to retain and sign about 19 players.

I think we will probably lose Joseph and quite possibly Evans regardless, but the rest i suspect we will have a good chance of keeping if we want them. I think about 7 of our current players we certainly want to keep and i think there could be another 3 or 4 on top of that may be kept for back up.

That leaves us looking at bringing in about 9 or 10 players which will be just under half of the squad. I think it has to be that way as the players we likely wont keep aren't good enough. With the exception of left back where we are well stocked we'll probably be looking to pretty much sign a player in every position to flesh out the squad and give us competition and options. We'll probably look to use all 5 loans to try and get some talented youngsters from higher up the leagues.

With that in mind i'm guessing the squad would look something like this

Jones
Tickle maybe brought in as 3rd choice from U23s
New GK

Dariwka
New right back

Tilt if Rotherham let him leave
Johnston
Long
New centre back (2 if Rotherham keep Tilt)

Pearce
Robinson

Ojo
Gardener
Merrie
McHugh maybe promoted from U23s
2 New central mids (unless we keep Evens and then only 1)

Viv
Lang
Keane
Asgaard
2 new attacking mids / wingers

Dodoo
2 New Strikers (at least 1 a target man)

Why does everyone rave about VSO, he is worse than Gavin Massey.
Gardener is no better than me.
Not sure about Dodoo, but he did seem to improve, maybe a short term deal.
McHugh is not ready yet.
And I hope we can covince Evans and Joseph to stay.

Other than that I have no problem with your selections and think Tilt, Oj and Johnston would be welcomed additions.

Why does everyone rave about VSO, he is worse than Gavin Massey.
Gardener is no better than me.
Not sure about Dodoo, but he did seem to improve, maybe a short term deal.
McHugh is not ready yet.
And I hope we can covince Evans and Joseph to stay.

Other than that I have no problem with your selections and think Tilt, Oj and Johnston would be welcomed additions.

That isn't what i so much i would choose personally, more just what i guess Richardson will do based on what he's done this season. It wouldn't shock me if he kept Wooton either.

I think that we do need a lot of changes as that squad isn't good enough for anything above bottom half
I guess it's down to whether the club wants a slow rebuild or try & make a quick jump out of the division.
Personally after the last 12 months a comfortable, not fighting relegation, season in the bottom half would be fine by me. If the owners want us to challenge for the top half/play offs then we'll need I think at least the amount KDZ mentions
If they want to try & jump up straight away (which I think would come way to soon & not be a good idea long term) then they'll need more still

In our division the quality is low, no one really has big money to spend and generally a good run can shoot you way up the table very quickly.

So i think if you have a good manager and recruitment team you wont need to do a slow rebuild towards a play off push - if you have your house in order you'll end up there right away as it's that type of division.

Just a case of how well we recruit and how good a manager Richardson turns out to be.

If the squad cap stays in place that means we can have 21 players plus any under 20's as extra - Long, Asgaard, Robinson and anyone else we bring up from youth set up don't count towards the limit i believe. So we have space to retain and sign about 19 players.

I think we will probably lose Joseph and quite possibly Evans regardless, but the rest i suspect we will have a good chance of keeping if we want them. I think about 7 of our current players we certainly want to keep and i think there could be another 3 or 4 on top of that may be kept for back up.

That leaves us looking at bringing in about 9 or 10 players which will be just under half of the squad. I think it has to be that way as the players we likely wont keep aren't good enough. With the exception of left back where we are well stocked we'll probably be looking to pretty much sign a player in every position to flesh out the squad and give us competition and options. We'll probably look to use all 5 loans to try and get some talented youngsters from higher up the leagues.

With that in mind i'm guessing the squad would look something like this

Jones
Tickle maybe brought in as 3rd choice from U23s
New GK

Dariwka
New right back

Tilt if Rotherham let him leave
Johnston
Long
New centre back (2 if Rotherham keep Tilt)

Pearce
Robinson

Ojo
Gardener
Merrie
McHugh maybe promoted from U23s
2 New central mids (unless we keep Evens and then only 1)

Viv
Lang
Keane
Asgaard
2 new attacking mids / wingers

Dodoo
2 New Strikers (at least 1 a target man)

What about Evans in the GK section.

With the addition you suggest that would be four keepers in the squad.

Surely Jones, Evans and Tickle would be sufficient.

Is KDZ not implying that Evans gets released and the new keeper will come in as either No.1 or No.2

Which I would fully agree with, my preference being the new keeper as an upgrade on Jones. As for Evans, it seems pretty obvious that LR doesn't fancy him, otherwise, I reckon he would have got more game time.

I didn't include Evans in the list as i think he will be released - Jones struggled this season but Evans couldn't get ahead of him and on the couple of occasions Jones wasn't available Evans really didn't impress.

He's 24 now so not a young kid still learning the ropes - if we didn't have enough faith to put him in the side for a run this season i don't think we ever will.

I think some people need to get in the real world.
We had three different collections of players last season, the latter of which eventually became a team. many of them were decent players for L1 level but underperformed as a team.
We are not suddenly going to be able to recruit championship ready players straight away, many of the team we finished last season with are perfectly capable of getting us much higher in the league next season.
If we get rid of 3/4 of the team we will be in the same position where it takes months to gel and meanwhile we are losing games and in the lower end of the table, people panicking and calling the players, the manager and owners.
Let's try and keep a fair percentage of the players we have now and make some additions to fill out the squad, it will take time to recover and we need to be a bit more patient than some people appear to be now.
Thankfully, our new owners don't seem to be the type willing to settle for 20th place next season so your pleas will hopefully fall on deaf ears.

We ripped the squad up the last two times we were in this division not in administration and did just fine. We will do just fine again this time even if we start slowly. Six loan spots to fill, four-five free transfers, sign up a few of the better players last season and before you know it, we'll have a much better squad.

Thankfully, our new owners don't seem to be the type willing to settle for 20th place next season so your pleas will hopefully fall on deaf ears.

We ripped the squad up the last two times we were in this division not in administration and did just fine. We will do just fine again this time even if we start slowly. Six loan spots to fill, four-five free transfers, sign up a few of the better players last season and before you know it, we'll have a much better squad.
We did rip the squad apart and look how some of the the supporters reacted when we struggled in the first few months of the season.
Stupid to do that if it’s not necessary.
And no, i’m not advocating finishing 20th, just the opposite. We need a good start to the season and not to become stuck in the bottom few again whilst the team gel. We do need more players but not as many as some are saying we do.

We did rip the squad apart and look how some of the the supporters reacted when we struggled in the first few months of the season.
Stupid to do that if it’s not necessary.
And no, i’m not advocating finishing 20th, just the opposite. We need a good start to the season and not to become stuck in the bottom few again whilst the team gel. We do need more players but not as many as some are saying we do.

Difference was we at that time we had a good squad who had done well and we got rid of 3 of the better first team players. This time we have a limited squad who squeaked relegation by the skin of our teeth and we are talking about replacing the players who aren't up to it.

If we kept the majority of this squad next season we would be in trouble again. We've got a decent core but no depth and there is no guarantee we'll keep everyone we want - so improvements are necessary.

Nearly everyone is saying keep about half and release the other half and it's largely the same players - who else would you want to keep who most wouldn't?

Get shut of

Clough
Owen Evans
Dan Gardner
Jamie Jones
Gavin Massey
Jamie Proctor
Corey Whelan
Scott Wootton
Alex Perry
Joe Dodoo
Darikwa

keep

Chris Merrie
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane

Get shut of

Clough
Owen Evans
Dan Gardner
Jamie Jones
Gavin Massey
Jamie Proctor
Corey Whelan
Scott Wootton
Alex Perry
Joe Dodoo
Darikwa

keep

Chris Merrie
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane

What medication are you on, get rid of Alex Perry, Joe Dodoo or Darikwa???, I would also give Gardner, Massey and Jones contracts as squad players.

I didn't include Evans in the list as i think he will be released - Jones struggled this season but Evans couldn't get ahead of him and on the couple of occasions Jones wasn't available Evans really didn't impress.

He's 24 now so not a young kid still learning the ropes - if we didn't have enough faith to put him in the side for a run this season i don't think we ever will.

Ok, I see your point.

What medication are you on, get rid of Alex Perry, Joe Dodoo or Darikwa???, I would also give Gardner, Massey and Jones contracts as squad players.

I just dont see Alex Perry making the grade and I think we can do better than Dodoo and Darikwa but it's all personal opinions really I suppose

Difference was we at that time we had a good squad who had done well and we got rid of 3 of the better first team players. This time we have a limited squad who squeaked relegation by the skin of our teeth and we are talking about replacing the players who aren't up to it.

If we kept the majority of this squad next season we would be in trouble again. We've got a decent core but no depth and there is no guarantee we'll keep everyone we want - so improvements are necessary.

Nearly everyone is saying keep about half and release the other half and it's largely the same players - who else would you want to keep who most wouldn't?
Keep
Jones
Evans?
Darikwa
Robinson
Pierce
Tilt
Johnston
Long
Evans
Ojo
Merry
Perrie
Gardner
Aasgaard
Lang
Keane
Dodoo
Joseph
Massey

release
Wooton
Whelan
Clough
Proctor
October

recruit
Goalkeeper
2 centre halves / right back cover
2 midfilders
2 strikers

or something like this, those players with a few additions will have us comfortable and at least challenging for playoffs next year

The back up keeper, and I only say that is because he is so young, is already at the club the display of young Tom Watson last night in the playoff final at Charton shows our goal keeper future looks quite rosy.

That's not a lot different to my list earlier, as the loan and the retained players weren't on mine.
I wouldn't however keep Massey and Gardner, with question marks against Dodoo and Evans (keeper).

That young lad last night looks not too far off a start to me. Keep Jamie as #1 with lad to take over mid season. We can't afford another 2 game season off Massey, get shut.

That young lad last night looks not too far off a start to me. Keep Jamie as #1 with lad to take over mid season. We can't afford another 2 game season off Massey, get shut.

With fans coming back into the ground John we will need turnstile operators, when one of them has cashed up he could then replace your mate Jones in goal.