Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 3 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Of the players from this past squad who Paul Kendrick listed in his League One Free Agent article a few weeks ago, here are my thoughts.

Would take them back tomorrow
Darikwa
Dodoo
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane
VSO

Would welcome them back, but wouldn't be sad to see them go
Clough
Owen Evans
Dan Gardner
Jamie Jones
Gavin Massey
Chris Merrie
Alex Perry

No interest in having them return
Jamie Proctor
Corey Whelan
Scott Wootton

Gavin Massey has an option in his contract for another 12 months.

I'm not sure either party will be overly keen on taking up the option. Us because of his wages (although I don't believe some of the figures bandied about) and Massey because he took so much abuse from the fans last season he ended up deleting his social media accounts.

I'm not sure either party will be overly keen on taking up the option. Us because of his wages (although I don't believe some of the figures bandied about) and Massey because he took so much abuse from the fans last season he ended up deleting his social media accounts.

The terms on Masseys contract will probably be much better than he'd get anywhere else at this point, so he's probably hoping he can get an extension.

Considering he's had about 3 good games over the past 2 years i can't see us giving it to him though.

There is a really good player in Massey but we've just rarely seen it unfortunately.

I genuinely feel for Gav...no way could he run at full pelt with that operating table permanently strapped to his back. It saved time mind you in transit.

The terms on Masseys contract will probably be much better than he'd get anywhere else at this point, so he's probably hoping he can get an extension.

Considering he's had about 3 good games over the past 2 years i can't see us giving it to him though.

There is a really good player in Massey but we've just rarely seen it unfortunately.
Plus he does keep our physio staff in a job.

You bloody hypocrite John, was that the same operating table that your mate Jones spent his time hiding under when anyone put a cross into his box.

Whatever your view is on Jamie he was out there every minute fighting the cause. I can't believe when we have laid off scores of staff anybody would want to spunk more money on this waste of space. We need fighters not bottlers.

With the amount of transfer activity that will be happening in the upcoming weeks i thought we might as well get a thread set up.

Possible Tom James return. Link below:

Hibernian news: Charlton, Wigan & Oxford given James green light (footballinsider247.com)

Personally i wouldn't be against it, but if it didn't happen i wouldn't be that bothered either. He was ok - but you could argue everyone was pretty awful back when he was here so maybe he'd be much better in a more settled side.

He couldn't get in the Salford side....very unconvincing when here. It's a no for me, along with Wootton...not good enough

Whatever your view is on Jamie he was out there every minute fighting the cause. I can't believe when we have laid off scores of staff anybody would want to spunk more money on this waste of space. We need fighters not bottlers.
I agree we need fighters and now understand your like of Jones, it must have been those mental boxing gloves he thought he was wearing while playing, there must be some reason he can't catch a cross.

yes looks a good manager and as used the loan market very well. Must have some good contacts in the game. And that’s a worry for me for this up and coming season.

If you look at Blackpools signings last summer they didn't spend anything and all their free's weren't a particularly exciting set of players. Their loans were all untried kids looking to make their first appearances so I don't know if you'd have needed good contacts to get any of them.

But they obviously managed to assemble a good side, i think it's probably down to the coaching skills of the manager and his scouting / recruitment teams eye for talent.

Of those on your original list these are the only ones I would be interested in -

Darikwa
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane
Jamie Jones (2nd choice keeper)
Chris Merrie (young lad has to be given a further chance)
Alex Perry (young lad has to be given a further chance)

The rest were barely good enough last season to hold a place in one of the shitest teams and seasons we have ever had.
We have to move forward, hopefully we can afford better than what we had last season.

Of those on your original list these are the only ones I would be interested in -

Darikwa
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane
Jamie Jones (2nd choice keeper)
Chris Merrie (young lad has to be given a further chance)
Alex Perry (young lad has to be given a further chance)

The rest were barely good enough last season to hold a place in one of the shitest teams and seasons we have ever had.
We have to move forward, hopefully we can afford better than what we had last season.
I think some people need to get in the real world.
We had three different collections of players last season, the latter of which eventually became a team. many of them were decent players for L1 level but underperformed as a team.
We are not suddenly going to be able to recruit championship ready players straight away, many of the team we finished last season with are perfectly capable of getting us much higher in the league next season.
If we get rid of 3/4 of the team we will be in the same position where it takes months to gel and meanwhile we are losing games and in the lower end of the table, people panicking and calling the players, the manager and owners.
Let's try and keep a fair percentage of the players we have now and make some additions to fill out the squad, it will take time to recover and we need to be a bit more patient than some people appear to be now.

I think some people need to get in the real world.
We had three different collections of players last season, the latter of which eventually became a team. many of them were decent players for L1 level but underperformed as a team.
We are not suddenly going to be able to recruit championship ready players straight away, many of the team we finished last season with are perfectly capable of getting us much higher in the league next season.
If we get rid of 3/4 of the team we will be in the same position where it takes months to gel and meanwhile we are losing games and in the lower end of the table, people panicking and calling the players, the manager and owners.
Let's try and keep a fair percentage of the players we have now and make some additions to fill out the squad, it will take time to recover and we need to be a bit more patient than some people appear to be now.

I know what you are saying Kenny but with the 5 players we already have under contract along with the eight I would retain, it doesn't equate to getting rid of 75% of the team.
I know I have only kept 50% of the players he mentioned but I think we need room for new recruits.
You can't honestly think many of those I omitted are good enough.
We are only allowed 20 odd players so if we keep all 17 on that list along with the 5 retained, 22 players leaves little room, if any for squad additions.

I know what you are saying Kenny but with the 5 players we already have under contract along with the eight I would retain, it doesn't equate to getting rid of 75% of the team.
I know I have only kept 50% of the players he mentioned but I think we need room for new recruits.
You can't honestly think many of those I omitted are good enough.
We are only allowed 20 odd players so if we keep all 17 on that list along with the 5 retained, 22 players leaves little room, if any for squad additions.
I'm not saying keep all of those players, we likely couldn't even if LR wanted to, but we don't need the number of changes that many seem to be advocating.

If the squad cap stays in place that means we can have 21 players plus any under 20's as extra - Long, Asgaard, Robinson and anyone else we bring up from youth set up don't count towards the limit i believe. So we have space to retain and sign about 19 players.

I think we will probably lose Joseph and quite possibly Evans regardless, but the rest i suspect we will have a good chance of keeping if we want them. I think about 7 of our current players we certainly want to keep and i think there could be another 3 or 4 on top of that may be kept for back up.

That leaves us looking at bringing in about 9 or 10 players which will be just under half of the squad. I think it has to be that way as the players we likely wont keep aren't good enough. With the exception of left back where we are well stocked we'll probably be looking to pretty much sign a player in every position to flesh out the squad and give us competition and options. We'll probably look to use all 5 loans to try and get some talented youngsters from higher up the leagues.

With that in mind i'm guessing the squad would look something like this

Jones
Tickle maybe brought in as 3rd choice from U23s
New GK

Dariwka
New right back

Tilt if Rotherham let him leave
Johnston
Long
New centre back (2 if Rotherham keep Tilt)

Pearce
Robinson

Ojo
Gardener
Merrie
McHugh maybe promoted from U23s
2 New central mids (unless we keep Evens and then only 1)

Viv
Lang
Keane
Asgaard
2 new attacking mids / wingers

Dodoo
2 New Strikers (at least 1 a target man)