Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 93 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

It really looks like we are signing the ability to play two different ways and have now got some very direct players. Should be really interesting to see how the season develops, based on the fact we are likely playing a cut down version of "moneyball" right now I can see some players having very specific roles.

Gerrard knows a bad apple when he sees one. Don’t forget how fast he was to send Windass our way despite his decent record in Scotland. Serious red flags over this one as much as folk try and cover up his misdeeds.

What are his misdeeds?

Can anyone enlighten me on what has made people think so badly of him?

Squad as of now with potential gaps in red

2 keepers
Amos
Jones
+ maybe 3rd keeper?

1 right back
Darikwa
+ new right back

2 centre backs
Whatmough
Long
+ Wright?
+ Kerr / Tilt?

2 left backs
Pearce
Robinson

3 centre / def mids
Power
Cousins
Naylor
+ McGrath?

2 right wingers
Lang
Massey
+ Blackett Taylor?

2 central attacking mids
Keane
Assgaard

2 left wingers
Jones
Edwards

2 strikers
Wyke
Humphrys
+ maybe 3rd striker? Bobby Duncan?

I believe there is currently still a squad cap in place of 21 players (reduced to 20 next year). We currently have 18 but if I remember correctly players under 20s don't count to your total (Robinson and Assgaard) so that takes us to 16 with the space for 5 players over the age of 20 plus as many more as we like under that.

Richardson said he wanted 6 or 7 before Jones and if we are to believe Blackett Taylor is going to be signing that means at least one of his other 5 targets will need to be a youngster to fit in the limit.

Squad as of now with potential gaps in red

2 keepers
Amos
Jones
+ maybe 3rd keeper?

1 right back
Darikwa
+ new right back

2 centre backs
Whatmough
Long
+ Wright?
+ Kerr / Tilt?

2 left backs
Pearce
Robinson

3 centre / def mids
Power
Cousins
Naylor
+ McGrath?

2 right wingers
Lang
Massey
+ Blackett Taylor?

2 central attacking mids
Keane
Assgaard

2 left wingers
Jones
Edwards

2 strikers
Wyke
Humphrys
+ maybe 3rd striker? Bobby Duncan?

I believe there is currently still a squad cap in place of 21 players (reduced to 20 next year). We currently have 18 but if I remember correctly players under 20s don't count to your total (Robinson and Assgaard) so that takes us to 16 with the space for 5 players over the age of 20 plus as many more as we like under that.

Richardson said he wanted 6 or 7 before Jones and if we are to believe Blackett Taylor is going to be signing that means at least one of his other 5 targets will need to be a youngster to fit in the limit.
Have you inadvertently got Arthur on ignore KDZ?
😉

Thinking about St Johnstone potentially not letting Kerr leave until they've got their Europa Qualifiers out of the way - i had a look at their potential path and it's very convoluted.

Basically if they beat Galatasary over 2 legs they then have another qualifying game over 2 legs to get into the Europa league. Those games would be played late August.

If they lose to Galatasary then they go into a play off round for the Europa Conference over 2 legs which also take place late August.

Getting into the Europa League or Conference is worth a few million quid so they probably won't risk selling Kerr for 400k if they think it will cost them millions. So the only way I could see them selling is if they lose to Gala and then lose in the Conference play off and fall out of Europe completely so miss out on all the money. But they will only know their fate just before the window shuts.

So I think if we still want Kerr unless we are going to up our offer significantly to a fee too good to refuse any move for him will probably be very late in the window. But he may not be available at all if they get into either competition so there is a chance even if we wait he won't ever become an option.

It looks like we could score plenty goals with all our attacking options but could also be likely to concede quite a few unless we strengthen at the back. It should be an interesting season!

Just seen some potentially interesting info.

Sunderland have named new signing Corey Evans as captain and McGeady as vice captain. Missing out the most obvious candidate as Bailey Wright who has been Johnson's captain for years at Bristol.

Wright has also had his favoured no5 squad number taken off him to be left vacant while he taken 26.

I also saw a quote from the Sunderland chairman in the local press when asked about Wright leaving:

"I’d always say not to get too concerned about speculation. What I would say is I hope there’ll be a confidence that we won’t let a player go unless it’s in a situation that suits the football club.

When you’ve got players coming into the final year of their deal, there will naturally be interest.

We’ll work on a case-by-case basis, and be flexible enough to deal with any changes we need to make. But we’re trying to build a stronger squad, not a weaker squad."

Seems tell the fans not to worry about the squad being weakened but doesn't seem to reject the idea he's going.

Combine that with what Johnson said a few weeks ago he also mentioned specifically about him being in his final year, having 'open and honest' conversations with Wright and 'the new owners not seeing the best of him.'

It all seems to imply Sunderland are expecting him to leave this window. Might be back to Australia rather than here but if they genuinely wanted him to stay I think he would've kept his number, probably given captaincy and both manager and chairman would've stated directly he was staying.

This is a little surprising that he signed for us. Either means his dad shipped him around elsewhere and no one wanted him or we've pulled off a big coup.

It might be both, he was shopped around but suprisingly no takers meant we were able to pull off a coup.

It might be both, he was shopped around but suprisingly no takers meant we were able to pull off a coup.

I hope he's re signed on our terms and not his or his Dads.
I saw somewhere on twitter that Benitez put a stop to young Carrahger signing for Everton.
Maybe if true he didn't want Dad hanging around.