Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 91 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Perhaps Leam doesn't want to have the option of a big lad upfront and the extra signing you mentioned was a 3rd goalie.
Regarding Bobby Duncan if he was to come I would expect him to be part of the u23s to start with as I think he's not ready for the 1st team. The same would apply to the Tristan lad from Ipswich.

You might be right about a third senior keeper but i was thinking since Sam Tickle got a professional contract extension he'd be 3rd choice. But he is still only 19 so we may look at someone more seasoned.

Don't blame John at all for worrying about Jones. He does seem a bad apple and Rangers love shipping us their bad apples. Glad it's only a loan deal.

Have to say it's very strange that we've not been linked with a single CB for a while now. Kerr is surely a no-go with St Johnstone's big tie vs Galatasaray. I do wonder if we've come to an agreement with Sunderland to sign Wright after the weekend. It's almost too quiet, like something has been sorted already.

[QUOTE="C_Latic, post: 2952904,

Have to say it's very strange that we've not been linked with a single CB for a while now. Kerr is surely a no-go with St Johnstone's big tie vs Galatasaray. I do wonder if we've come to an agreement with Sunderland to sign Wright after the weekend. It's almost too quiet, like something has been sorted already.[/QUOTE]

It was said on here a few weeks ago Kerr could move towards the end of the window.
As you say it's gone quiet with him as well so wonder if St Johnstone get knocked out he will come to us then.

Last edited:
As C Latic and Yon Mon both said - the 2 main centre halves we've been linked with both seem to be available to move this window but neither seem to be available to move just yet. So we could very well be waiting on them.

Another centre half we've probably kept an eye on is Tilt, who seems to be back training, he's obviously just came back so you probably wouldn't move for him just yet but in a couple of weeks when he is approaching fitness we may move for him.

The other thing is Richardson mentioned in an interview that the big clubs haven't started letting out all of their young players yet so we are waiting for the loan market to open up. We might not even be waiting from the Prem ourselves, but when those kids move to a Championship side it will free up players to potentially move from there.

I suspect we may also be keeping tabs on Kipre's situation at West Brom.

We've managed to keep a lot of our transfer business quite low profile this summer as we only heard about some of the signings directly before they happened even though we'd been talking to the likes of Wyke, Amos, Edwards, Whatmough for a while. So there could be a deal close we aren't even aware of.

Carragher signing a new deal is huge, I do think we still need at least 2 centrebacks, but I can honestly see Carragher stepping up to the first team. Looked really decent in his pre-season games. Same with Long

James Carragher signed a pro deal with us.

Great news. He's obviously still very young but has shown some great potential.

I'm shocked a bigger club hasn't picked him up, as he looked head and shoulders the best player on the park against Charlton in the U18's Final.

There isn't any reference to the length of the contract, so as been mooted elsewhere, it may just be 12 months. Which I suppose is better than him walking away before the season starts for free. I wonder if that counts as one of the 6/7 players Liam wants ?

A very good friend of mine for 20 years is a Director of St Johnstone Football Club, Stan Harris. Since the story about Kerr broke he hasn’t taken any of my calls…….could be coincidence or he might be pissed up somewhere on their travels….or it could be a Fact !

A very good friend of mine for 20 years is a Director of St Johnstone Football Club, Stan Harris. Since the story about Kerr broke he hasn’t taken any of my calls…….could be coincidence or he might be pissed up somewhere on their travels….or it could be a Fact !

What could be a fact ??

There isn't any reference to the length of the contract, so as been mooted elsewhere, it may just be 12 months. Which I suppose is better than him walking away before the season starts for free. I wonder if that counts as one of the 6/7 players Liam wants ?

I would guess that he probably wasn't one of the 6 or 7 as he's still most likely going to be in the U23s.

The length of contract is an interesting point. I suspect if it was a long term deal like 3 years they would've announced it. I think most young players yet to break into the side tend to sign 1 or 2 year at a time.

Last edited:
Jordan Jones signs on a three year deal, top signing, especially on a 3 year deal, which I am really shocked about considering it was mentioned to be a loan signing

I like the look of him from what i've seen, seems like a very exciting player who's very direct fast and has an end product and fits nicely into the left side of the attacking mid trio with Keane and Lang.

No mention of a fee, but if we were looking for a loan and ended up with a buy i'd guess the fee wouldn't be that high.

It seems he was completely out of Gerrards plans at Rangers, so maybe they just wanted him off the books and weren't going to risk holding out for a high fee and him not leaving. The fee may even have effectively been the equivalent of paying up the remainder of his contract to leave.

I read some Sunderland fans said they believed they had an option to buy for 250k, so maybe it was around that.

It always seems to be the way that Sunderland sign good players, but their fans say they are nearly all rubbish by the time they leave. There seems to be constant theme and it's not the players.

Are the players not actually that bad and it's just pure cope or does the club just ruin everyone?

Tilt's hamstring injury isn't as bad as they initially feared as he appears to already be back in training based on his Twitter.

So we could look to bring him back before the window shuts but it seems like Rotherham are short on players and planning to use him.

If Kipre is not anywhere near the first team as we approach the window shutting i could see him becoming available. He's hardly played since leaving us and I dont think he even did much while on loan in Belgium when he went on lpan in January so I think coming back here to kick start his career with a manager he knows could be appealing if financially we could make it work.

Just had a look - Kipre is 5th choice centre half at West Brom (they play 3 at the back) local press had speculated the recent arrival of Clarke would likely see the door open for him to leave. I am sure Kipre will try and find a club better than L1 but his stock is quite low so I think we have a chance on that.
I sincerely hope you're right, but I'm very sceptical about what the costs would be for Cedric. I think he's great, but not so great as to break the bank for; if he was willing to come to L1, he'd have to take L1 money or have WBA pay a big slice of his wages, and from previous dealings with them, they're not the most amenable club to deal with.

Good to hear Tilt is getting back to fitness. Whoever he's playing for, I wish him all the best and thank him for his massive contribution to our season last year. Would love to see him back though, and even if he's in Rotherham's plans, if he's in his final year, they may still decide to let him go for a fee now rather than see him go for nothing at the end of the season. One can only hope.

As concerns my issues with using loans, it's not about the quality of the players who come in per se. Reece James and Antonee Robinson are living proof that loans can provide excellent quality players, but there's always a gamble. They can also be Callum Conollys or Dujon Sterlings and we wouldn't know for certain until they arrive. In addition, I don't like using our game time to develop players for other clubs. I'd rather bring our own lads through if we have them in the right positions. Loans may be further along in their development, but they're only a short term gain. If we're looking at the bigger, longer term picture, developing our own youngsters is a much better proposition to either strengthen our squad permanently or generate cash by selling (sadly a reality for a club our size). By bringing in loanees, we may actually hamper our own lads by denying them first team chances in favour of other clubs' players... that, I don't like one bit, especially when those players may be on loan contacts that say they have to play a certain % of games if fit, regardless of how they actually perform. Ultimately, loans make players and cash for other clubs, which is not any benefit to us.

Where there's no other option, loans are better than having to play someone out of position, but I'd vastly prefer that we only used loans as an absolute last resort.

Last edited: