Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 26 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Whilst it's sad to see a home grown player leave, I think it'd be a good move for him. Realistically I can't see him getting much first team action for us next season. He's not a kid any more at 22, and if he's going to have a decent career in the coming years, he needs to be playing first team games regularly right now.

I hope this (or a better move) comes off and wish him all the very best wherever he goes.
I imagine he's been offered a role here as a squad player, if he has the offer of guaranteed first team football elsewhere locally it would be hard to turn down.

I thought Merrie came on in leaps and bounds last season but if we’re looking to seriously invest in the team and are now looking for an Evans replacement and maybe others he may have felt he needed more guarantee of game time especially considering his age as you say. Good luck to the lad as he gave 100 per cent every time I saw him play and was very committed to our cause

Blues winger Gwion Edwards is reportedly set to join Wigan Athletic on a free transfer.

The 28-year-old Welshman was out of contract at the end of 2020/21 with Town having taken a one-year option on his deal the previous summer.

Edwards, who joined Town from Peterborough in the summer of 2018 for £700,000, was offered new terms last month, while the MK Dons, Preston and Sunderland had previously been credited with interest in the former Swansea trainee.

Now, the EADT is reporting that Edwards is set to leave the Blues with Wigan his expected destination.

Edwards, one of Paul Hurst’s Town recruits, made 82 starts and 27 sub appearances for the Blues, scoring 14 times.

Blues winger Gwion Edwards is reportedly set to join Wigan Athletic on a free transfer.

The 28-year-old Welshman was out of contract at the end of 2020/21 with Town having taken a one-year option on his deal the previous summer.

Edwards, who joined Town from Peterborough in the summer of 2018 for £700,000, was offered new terms last month, while the MK Dons, Preston and Sunderland had previously been credited with interest in the former Swansea trainee.

Now, the EADT is reporting that Edwards is set to leave the Blues with Wigan his expected destination.

Edwards, one of Paul Hurst’s Town recruits, made 82 starts and 27 sub appearances for the Blues, scoring 14 times.

Him & Lee Evans could do a house / wife swap.

Edwards came on as Sub for Peterborough at Ewood Park about 3 seasons ago ….I was watching because we were fighting Bburn for promotion at the time …..he ripped em to bits and he certainly stuck in my mind from that one 2nd half performance admittedly….very quick and direct ….I‘d be happy if he was to turn up here

Edwards is like a lot of wingers. On his day he can cause problems but on other days he can be invisible. On balance though I reckon he would be a decent signing.

Edwards is a player I like. Would be well pleased if this one comes off. At 28, he's at the peak of his career too. With Keane already signed up, our attacking midfield would be up there with the best in League One should Edwards sign for us too. I imagine our squad next season will include some young players and loanees, so another player who's played 250+ games at a decent level will also benefit the squad off the pitch.

Have to say I'm impressed with the calibre of players we're looking at on frees. I know it's early days, but the new owners do seem to be living up to what they promised: ambitious investment without ludicrous spending.

Never seen Edwards stand out from 4 or 5 games i've seen him play. Averages about 6 goals and couple assists at this level. Chapman in 6 month loan spell did more, 7 goals, 2 assists and 4 or 5 times he was brought down for pens which other players took in 23 games.

To be fair to Edwards his one spell in the championship his output stayed the same, over the course of a season he must be fairly consistent.

Would add some experience and there must be a player in there for Ipswitch to pay what they did for him. Maybe Richardson think's he can get the best from him.

Edwards came on as Sub for Peterborough at Ewood Park about 3 seasons ago ….I was watching because we were fighting Bburn for promotion at the time …..he ripped em to bits and he certainly stuck in my mind from that one 2nd half performance admittedly….very quick and direct ….I‘d be happy if he was to turn up here

I remember that quite vividly and also when he played against us at their place in the 3-2 loss - he looked a decent player. I saw him a couple of times at Ipswich too and i thought he looked good.

A few years ago when i read the headline on NewsNow 'Wigan sign Peterbough star' a few years ago i was hoping it was Maddison or Edwards but it was Lopes. He went that same summer to Ipswich for 700k.

28 years old, winger who can play either side. Ipswich offered him new terms despite all of the money they are throwing around so they must have thought he was an asset.

6 goals and 4 assists last season in 36 league games for Ipswich last year. Overall in L1 he has 25 goals and 14 assists in 165 appearances and 6 goals and 3 assists in 33 appearances in the Championship.

I'm quite pleased with that one.

Talal saying there will be a signing today, possibly 2 - presumably Edwards since Talal shared an article talking about the Edwards link. But I've got fingers and toes crossed for the unlikely announcement of Fraser and Humphrys but i don't think it will be.

Nixon saying Joseph not gone yet but Swansea is maybe the best offer he has on the table at the moment. Some sources reporting the fee could be around 1m. No word how much in add ons vs up front but to be honest that is probably about the best we can hope for when their contract runs down.

Mal Brannigan said we did offer Johnston a contract on terms we were happy with but implied we weren't willing to go beyond that and Bolton did so we let him go there.

Merrie has been confirmed as leaving the club.

The lad tried his best but i don't think he's a L1 player.

Thanks for his efforts and wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

Nixon suggesting we're leading the chase for Tom Naylor, ex-Pompey skipper, seem to recall him being quite influential for Burton when they were fighting us for the title too.
Would be a great signing, that.

BBC reporter Matt Wise who broke the Whatmough story has repeated what Nixon said about Naylor being close to joining.

'Wigan began talks with former Pompey captain Tom Naylor over a week ago. Interest is very real. Mansfield are amongst others who have also spoken to Naylor. He has a number of options.'

Whilst it's sad to see a home grown player leave, I think it'd be a good move for him. Realistically I can't see him getting much first team action for us next season. He's not a kid any more at 22, and if he's going to have a decent career in the coming years, he needs to be playing first team games regularly right now.

I hope this (or a better move) comes off and wish him all the very best wherever he goes.

Yes - I agree with you, Wigan are going for promotion next season and so will buy in experience- which is what Chris Merrie needs right now.

The fact that he is going on a free transfer shows he would never get regular first team footy here.

I think this is a very good move for Chris but to be honest I’m surprised Wigan are letting him go as up to his pulled hamstring (due to running his heart out twice a week for us) he was playing very well and in my books is as good as Ojo and probably paid a hell of a lot less.

Good luck Chris Merrie !