Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 19 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Nixon saying he's got a story for the paper tomorrow if it's not confirmed sooner. So it sounds like another signing is imminent.

It could be the age of player we have signed in the past, but even the ones who moved at the right age Palacios Bullard Ellington did not reach the potential we saw in them.
A bit unfair on Jimmy Bullard there Daleks. Wasn't he picked for England whilst with Fulham? ... and then he got his injury.

Could well be shot down for the following;
not many players leave Wigan and go onto better things.
It could be the age of player we have signed in the past, but even the ones who moved at the right age Palacios Bullard Ellington did not reach the potential we saw in them.
I concede there are a few in Scotland that look better than when they were with us. However there may be an obvious answer for that.
Valencia maybe but not many more I can think of unless you go back to the eighties when we lost many who went on to do ok.

I was told something earlier from a usually reliable source, but he couldn't say if it was fully true or not, it did happen but the full reason is a little unclear.

George Johnson had accepted our offer and was due to sign a contract on Wed/Thurs and was to be announced with Keane and Whatmore when Bolton came in and offered him a better contract, it seems it was the same thing why Whatmore chose us, similar wages but Bolton offered three years where we had only offered two.

I was told something earlier from a usually reliable source, but he couldn't say if it was fully true or not, it did happen but the full reason is a little unclear.

George Johnson had accepted our offer and was due to sign a contract on Wed/Thurs and was to be announced with Keane and Whatmore when Bolton came in and offered him a better contract, it seems it was the same thing why Whatmore chose us, similar wages but Bolton offered three years where we had only offered two.
Engineered by a certain Mr Atherton (alledgedly) who has blown his Latics Hall of fame (when we get one) inclusion

If it's true about losing Johnston for onlu offering 2 years, at his age and what he showed in potential you'd think 3 years wouldn't be an issue. We'll have to see what happens but I think we may regret that.

Pompey local press said Whatmough was offered a 1 year deal at a reduced rate with second year triggered by playing a certain number of games - we didn't divulge length of contract but presumably that was 2 years rather than 3 if Johnston couldn't get 3.

Engineered in what way?
As in the intro deal with Noblot - Anyway it's done and it's June so we shouldn't stress.
I well remember half the team who started our first prem game only signed in the days leading up to it - that didn't turn out so badly !
One comment in the East stand that day was from a tic of vintage years and sadly no longer with us "who's this chip pon mon ?" still raises a smile.

As in the intro deal with Noblot - Anyway it's done and it's June so we shouldn't stress.
I well remember half the team who started our first prem game only signed in the days leading up to it - that didn't turn out so badly !
One comment in the East stand that day was from a tic of vintage years and sadly no longer with us "who's this chip pon mon ?" still raises a smile.

What connection did he have to the player?

Jedi to Citeh being rumoured at £10m - now, wonder what Begbies mate agent built in as a sell on for Latics.
At a standard 20% that should get us £1.6m let's see eh 🤔