Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 101 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Reports suggest he is on the verge of signing for Beerschot ….that’s not to say we couldn’t still nip in if we were offering more money….fee and wages …but even if we did ….who would he be ousting from the team ?

I know the maxim ‘you can never have too many good players/strikers’ but that better applies to big clubs with deep pockets and with Wyke and Humphrys newly signed, it would surely mean one or two of our perceived best eleven would be sidelined if this rumour eventually bore fruit.

I think we probably enquired earlier in the window found out the 1m price and felt we could get better value elsewhere and moved on. If we were willing to pay the money i think we'd have done it long before now.

I've never seen him play so can't say how good he is, but when you consider the other strikers who've moved in L1and how much they cost by comparison i think if you had 1m to spend you could've gotten very good players for much less eg Eisa, Piggot, Humphrys, Vogts, Stockley, etc.

Players take time to settle, to understand each other, to gel.
Systems take time to become familiar, to become natural, to become instinctive.

We were doing much of this earlier on, but we'd lose the ball, or miss a pass, or simply not score .......or concede a soft one.

Some things are worth waiting for.
But it was exactly the same the previous season.
Previous to that when we walked league one, we would have done that blindfold but that season there was still some horrible football to be had especially at home when teams sat back.
Some things have been worth waiting for and it's been a long wait to see consistent entertaining football since Bruce left.

But it was exactly the same the previous season.
Previous to that when we walked league one, we would have done that blindfold but that season there was still some horrible football to be had especially at home when teams sat back.
Some things have been worth waiting for and it's been a long wait to see consistent entertaining football since Bruce left.

It was a different team the previous season (no Moore, Lowe, Dowell, Byrne, Williams, Robinson, Balogun). They needed to gel all over again.

We've played good, entertaining stuff and bad stuff under Jewell, Bruce, Martinez, Rosler, Caldwell and Cook ... we can argue over the "consistently" bit.

After the last 18 months, I'm just happy I'm still watching Wigan Athletic in League 1.

Players take time to settle, to understand each other, to gel.
Systems take time to become familiar, to become natural, to become instinctive.

We were doing much of this earlier on, but we'd lose the ball, or miss a pass, or simply not score .......or concede a soft one.

Some things are worth waiting for.

Sorry ... I posted something almost word for word on the Sunderland thread.
I hadn't read this thread yet.

Any Yanic type players out there ?

After the last 18 months, I'm just happy I'm still watching Wigan Athletic in League 1.

And that is probably the best and least inflamatory statement you have come out with in the last 18 months Moonay.
My faith in you has been restored, well said my good man.

Me?. ..... inflammatory? .......snowflake. :innocent:

Regardless, this is a really good read ...

https://threeamigoswigan.com/2021/08/10/can-latics-get-the-best-out-of-charlie-wyke/
Sure Leam understood before what is needed to make Wyke fire - thing is what makes Wyke fire requires a fundamental change in our playing style.
It's a trade off and I hope he knows what he's doing here otherwise Wyke could flop and our playing style could fall between 2 stools.
Mind the playing style second half Saturday was concerning for a whole load of other reasons !
Also we've conceded again quickly after going ahead - again !

Some report now saying move for bailey wright is dying and looking less likely

Don't think wright was possible, I think we have spent all the cash and wage bill and are struggling to compete now so it will be more frees and loans. Hopefully some gems available but I imagine that they would be all snapped up by now.

Mental to think that some league one fans believe we are buying the league and are a season off financial turmoil when we had 6 players and all our signings apart from 2 being frees or loans.

I'd say our wage bill is very modest and probably mid table in terms of spending. Not sure people understand that we made a few more signings than most because we had hardly anyone here.

I read the articles claiming the Wright move is off and they seem to be basing that off the fact that Nixon said it's currently not moving - he never said it was off. In fact he said that the Watts signing wouldn't necessarily put an end to our interest in Wright.

The reality is Sunderland have 3 fit defenders at the club and they are trying to get in replacements. There is no possibility no matter how keen all parties are to get a move here done that is can happen until they have new defenders in so they aren't left even shorter at the back.

If they were planning to keep Wright he probably would've been named captain, not had his squad number taken off him to be left vacant and their chairman and manager would've clearly stated they wanted him to stay rather than talking about him being in his final year and having 'honest conversations' with him.

Everything points to the fact Wright will be available this window if we are willing to wait for Sunderland to replace him. We may not be willing to wait and look elsewhere but we still need another centre back and considering 2 of the centre halves are kids and one is in his early 20's i think there's a good chance we'll be after an experienced head and leader - which is very much the type he is. So i don't think the deal is dead yet by any means.

We may be looking at alternatives while we are waiting but if we don't find anyone better i can see us doing the deal whenever Sunderland get their business done.

Probably on the last day of the transfer window! Does the window shut on August 31st?

It could be before then if Sunderland get new players in and we still want to do it, but i can't see it happening until Sunderland sign 2 centre halves. But at the rate Sunderland are going deadline day is looking an increasing possibility.

Window shuts 31st at 11pm.

Sam Cosgrove signs for Shrewsbury

That's potentially a really good bit of business for them. I'd have liked him on loan but apparently the reason he went there over Wycombe is he knew he'd start every week - which he certainly wouldn't have got here with the strikers we have.

Nixon just said 'Think Wright might be too expensive for Wigan just now … would need a fee and a two year deal …'

I thought Sunderland would possibly let him go on a free to get him off the books, as we know he will be a pretty decent wage and they don't seem to fancy him anymore.

No idea what type of fee they want but at 29 he's got no resale value. He's had his recent form and injury issues, but on a free he's a reasonable calculated risk if you can get him back to his best, if you are going to have to pay a few hundred grand it probably isn't worth it.

I'm sure we will look around at alternatives and then closer to the window if we haven't got anyone in and Sunderland have their replacements in maybe they will be willing to let him go on a free.

After we play Rotherham this weekend, maybe we could look at Tilt, but he would be our 3rd left footed centre half. Would we want 2 right and 2 left footers?

Lavelle to Wycombe has stalled, he could be worth a look. His fee is apparently low and much younger than Wright.