Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 100 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

The Swansea at home game which essentially relegated us being a prime example.
Swansea were not arsed that night and we pretty much gifted them the game and with it our premier league status
Hadn't Jack Hendry or someone else played a couple at centre half prior to that match and Martinez dropped him in favour of a 25% fit Caldwell who played with no hips.
I'm positive Martinez knew he was going to EFC and did his best not to keep us up so he could take half the team with him for a bargain a few weeks later.

England had that many defenders there was no one in midfield to pass to !
Other than against the Dog & Duck (Ukraine) 10 mins against Croatia and 2 mins in the final it was negative, dull, defensive, anti-entertainment football.

Absolutely. I don't think anyone is saying they want us to do that.

Hadn't Jack Hendry or someone else played a couple at centre half prior to that match and Martinez dropped him in favour of a 25% fit Caldwell who played with no hips.
I'm positive Martinez knew he was going to EFC and did his best not to keep us up so he could take half the team with him for a bargain a few weeks later.

I think Golbart had played a little bit in cups and looked decent but Roberto opted to put a struggling Caldwell in over him.

I don't think Roberto relegated us on purpose I think he simply didn't get us to perform well enough in the league over the season. Injuries to defenders certainly didn't help but in that season the good performances seemed to all come in the cup and the league form was often below par.

Nixon saying Lavelle to Wycombe is a bargain price.

He sounded like a good one, could be a shrewd bit of business.

Wooton set to replace him at Morecambe.

I'm pretty sure it was more to do with having a cup final 4 days later

Second worst defence in the league last season were Plymouth. Even worse than our keystone cops and this young lad played 44 games for them. Sorry, but on paper that's a totally underwhelming signing for a side supposedly trying to finish in the playoffs. Makes the loss of George Johnston even more inexplicable.

I maintain, that we've got an inexperienced and possibly understaffed manager/recruitment team who blew the budget early on on players like Wyke and are now struggling to complete the squad with the adequate quality required.

Apparently we enquired about Scottish striker Lawrence Shankland earlier in the summer from Mal Brannigan's of side Dundee United.

But he is going to join a Belgium side for 1m.

I think Golbart had played a little bit in cups and looked decent but Roberto opted to put a struggling Caldwell in over him.

I don't think Roberto relegated us on purpose I think he simply didn't get us to perform well enough in the league over the season. Injuries to defenders certainly didn't help but in that season the good performances seemed to all come in the cup and the league form was often below par.

Golobart, that was him, not Hendry.

I just saw that Talal put another pen up earlier today. So presumably Watts was the signing he hinted last week and this is another signing on the way.

Nixon said Blackett-Taylor was going to sign arpund the time we got Jones so maybe it will be him.

I don't mind the Newcastle lad he has played alot of games and impressed for Newcastle, Bruce knows a good defender when he sees one though. But we definitely need a proven top cb at this level for numbers. I can't see Kerr signing now, no chance we can afford him so bailey is our best option if it's still possible.

I do agree, I think we spent most of our budget early on and are now struggling to find players, so it will be more frees and loans.

Fascinating that this time last year everyone was saying they just prayed our club survived and they would be happy to play in any league at all and be backing whoever put the money up to get rid of the Begbies mob!That hasn't lasted long!!
Signings not good enough,some before they even put the shirt on!!Come on give the new regime the time time to rebuild what was a ruin of a club,it won't happen in weeks or months,it could take years!

I don't mind the Newcastle lad he has played alot of games and impressed for Newcastle, Bruce knows a good defender when he sees one though. But we definitely need a proven top cb at this level for numbers. I can't see Kerr signing now, no chance we can afford him so bailey is our best option if it's still possible.

I do agree, I think we spent most of our budget early on and are now struggling to find players, so it will be more frees and loans.
Wouldn't be surprised if we're after someone who could fill in two positions, cb/rb for example. I think we're at the point where the first team is set at the moment so whoever comes in now will be challenging from the bench. Watts played plenty last season in a mid table team, so he's not a mug.

When you say proper football I assume you aren't talking about long balling it constantly and are talking about trying to play exciting attacking football.

But passing out from the back with 1 up front and keeping possession has produced some of the most exciting and attacking football we've ever seen over the years. In contrast some of the worst football we've watched in recent years was not possession based and 4-4-2. That's not to say either system can't be played effectively but the thing that made those good runs work and the bad ones fail was the tempo, movement and aggression more than the formation and possession stats.

As Moonay mentioned it's all about how you play the system that makes it tedious or exciting rather than the system itself.
Yes playing attacking football. Some long balls, some building up from the back. Midfield supporting defence and forwards. Two strikers supporting midfield. Midfield playing balls through for a winger to run on to. Winger going around and sometimes inside defenders. Winger putting in crosses to one striker who lays it off for the other. Shots on target. Right and left back having occasional runs overlapping with wingers but primarily playing as defenders.
All that is much preferable to the stale football we have played for years like wing backs. Defensive midfielders. With four defenders you don't need two more. So called wingers on the halfway line. Lone striker with no service. Too much reliance on passing. Passing for passings sake. Slow tempo football. Or basically that drivel played by Cook for two seasons in the Championship bar a few weeks when we upped the tempo through desperation.
I really would like to see Leam do well but dread to think what is in store if he goes the turgid Cook route.
Nothing against Cook and his commitment and loyalty in our time of need but the football was terrible to watch.

Yes playing attacking football. Some long balls, some building up from the back. Midfield supporting defence and forwards. Two strikers supporting midfield. Midfield playing balls through for a winger to run on to. Winger going around and sometimes inside defenders. Winger putting in crosses to one striker who lays it off for the other. Shots on target. Right and left back having occasional runs overlapping with wingers but primarily playing as defenders.
All that is much preferable to the stale football we have played for years like wing backs. Defensive midfielders. With four defenders you don't need two more. So called wingers on the halfway line. Lone striker with no service. Too much reliance on passing. Passing for passings sake. Slow tempo football. Or basically that drivel played by Cook for two seasons in the Championship bar a few weeks when we upped the tempo through desperation.
I really would like to see Leam do well but dread to think what is in store if he goes the turgid Cook route.
Nothing against Cook and his commitment and loyalty in our time of need but the football was terrible to watch.

But it wasn't always turgid under Cook, we played some good stuff in League 1 and the Championship. We certainly were awful at for long periods but it's not fair to say it was all bad, it was a mixed bag.

We pretty much played the same system throughout with the difference being how we played it. When we played it well it was very good, when we played it badly it was dreadful - so again it's about how you play any system rather than the system itself that make football exciting or turgid.

The result of Cook upping the tempo when we were in a desperate situation. Shows he could do it. What happened from the previous August to when we started the revival? It was awful.
Players take time to settle, to understand each other, to gel.
Systems take time to become familiar, to become natural, to become instinctive.

We were doing much of this earlier on, but we'd lose the ball, or miss a pass, or simply not score .......or concede a soft one.

Some things are worth waiting for.

Reports suggest he is on the verge of signing for Beerschot ….that’s not to say we couldn’t still nip in if we were offering more money….fee and wages …but even if we did ….who would he be ousting from the team ?

I know the maxim ‘you can never have too many good players/strikers’ but that better applies to big clubs with deep pockets and with Wyke and Humphrys newly signed, it would surely mean one or two of our perceived best eleven would be sidelined if this rumour eventually bore fruit.