Summer Transfer Window | Page 4 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Window

Cooper explaining Celina’s departure:
“We wish Bersant well in his next challenge. I guess the rationale behind the decision was that it was a football and a financial decision.
Football wise, me and Bersant had a good relationship and we talked a lot. He didn’t play too much at the latter end of last season. For him, he wanted to play more. I couldn't guarantee the amount of games maybe he would have wanted. I'm not saying he wouldn't have got them, but I wouldn’t guarantee it to anyone”.

As widely stated in the media - he was recently given squad number 16, but winger Joel Asoro is set to join Serie A outfit Genoa on a season long loan from Swansea. He’s having a medical this morning and has been withdrawn from the squad to face Preston.
Signed for £2m on a 4 year contract in July 2018
A Potter signing and failure he made 10 league appearances for Swansea

The options get fewer as we pare the squad to the bone, with Mckay and John, another two of Potter’s signings and failures already told they can leave.

Last edited:
Three players we’ve been linked with:
Nathaniel Phillips 23 year old centre-back from Liverpool
Samuel Grandsir 24 year old winger from AS Monaco

Viktor Gyokeres 22 year old centre-forward from Brighton

West Ham insider:
“Joe Rodon at Swansea. We had some enquiries. I’m led to believe that we could get him for about £12-15m. Swansea are not in a good position financially and need to sell players. I sent that knowledge on to David Sullivan. And the response that I got from that was: ‘We know the player well, in a year he could be very good’”.
Hopefully that’s the end of that rumour.

We need a striker but we loan Joel Asoro to Serie A club Genoa
We need a centre back but we let Mike run down his contract and go to the Bundesliga for free.
We were after centre-back Ayala on a free from Middlesboro, he’s gone to Blackburn.
We lack creativity in the team but let Celina go to Dijon for £3m + £1m add-ons.
We can’t compete with the rest of the Championship teams -

Centre-back Scott McKenna, Aberdeen to Forest £2.94m
Centre-back Lewis Gibson, Everton to Reading loan
Centre-back Tom Lockyer, Charlton to Luton undisclosed
Centre-back Rob Dickie, Oxford to QPR £2.43m
Centre-back Matt Clarke, Brighton to Derby loan

Centre-forward Chuba Akpom, PAOKSalonika to Boro £2.7m
Centre-forward Benik Afobe, Stoke to Trabzonspor loan £90k

Centre-forward Scott Hogan, Villa to Brum undisclosed
Centre-forward Ivan Toney, Peterboro to Brentford £5.04m
Centre-forward Mame Diouf, Stoke to Hatayspor free

Centre-forward Tyler Walker, Forest to Coventry undisclosed
Centre-forward Jordan Hugill, West Ham to Norwich £2.97m

Journalist Adam Crawford:
“Latibeaudiere + Gyökeres are both joining Swansea City, will complete their window. Cooper hopes to not lose any more players. Let’s see if the owners ambitions match his.”

Joel Latibeaudiere, 20 year old 5’11” centre-back of Man City.
Another of Steve Cooper’s England U-17’s team
Their official website says this:
Captain and leader at the back -

Another youngster that is making waves in the Academy at City, Joel fits the role of the modern centre back perfectly: powerful, elegant and confident on the ball.
Stepping up to the U18s for the 2016/17 campaign, he captained Lee Carsley's side as they won the U18 Premier League North Division and reached the FA Youth Cup final.
Latibeaudiere was a mainstay of the team, only missing games when on England duty, which included representing the Young Lions at the U17 European Championships.
The commanding centre-back scored in the final as England suffered penalty heat break to their Spanish counterparts.
During 2017/18 pre-season Joel travelled to the United States as part of the first team's participation in the International Champions Cup and made the substitutes' bench for the game against Spurs in Nashville.

He's been a regular for Simon Davies' EDS squad in both the Premier League 2 and UEFA Youth League and scored a powerful header in the 3-1 win over Shakhtar Donetsk before departing for the FIFA U17 World Cup in India.
Part of the Young Lions squad that made the final, Latibeaudiere had the honour of captaining the team.

Injuries curtailed much of his 2018/19 season and he spent the 2019/20 season on loan at FC Twente.

Strongest message yet from Steve Cooper to the owners on transfers:
"I've talked about what we'd like to do ourselves in terms of players coming in, but also I don't want to lose any players as well. I don't think we can with the numbers that we've got.
The only thing I've made clear is that if we're very serious about what we want to do, then for me some things need to happen.”
At least a centre-back and a striker needed.
Out: Hoorn, Dyer, Celina, Brewster, Gallagher, Montero, Wilmot, Mulder, Carroll, De Boer, Baker-Richardson, McKay (loan), Asoro (loan), Cooper (loan), Gould (loan), Evans (loan)
In: Lowe, Gibbs-White, Smith, Guehi (loan), Woodman (loan)

With the intensity of games coming up after the International break we need more players.

A new name to add to the rumour mill, 26 year old Joe Pigott, League One AFC Wimbledon forward. He scored 18 goals last season and already has 2 goals this season.

Doesn’t seem as if Steve Cooper is consulted on transfers judging by that article. It looks as if we’re still selling anything that moves, with the head coach desperately trying to put a squad together.
Two week break now for the Internationals then we’re on two games a week where we will have to utilise the squad, if there’s anybody left by then of course.

Last edited:
It’s been a good start to the season with 3 wins and 1 draw from our first 4 games, giving us lots of optimism for the rest of the season.
Pos4 PL4 W3 D1 L0 GD4 Pts10
We had a similar start last season, with 3 wins and 1 draw from our first 4 games and were 2nd in the table on goal difference to Leeds.
Pos2 PL4 W3 D1 L0 GD4 Pts10
Our concern this time around is our squad depth and quality, as a minimum we need another striker and centre-back cover.
The International break has come at an inopportune time once again, just as we were gaining some impetus.
With the condensed schedule of matches coming up after the break (5 matches in 2 weeks between 17-31 Oct), Steve Cooper will be forced to utilise his squad more.
The imminent transfer of Peterson will boost the coffers by £400k, but will Winter release the funds needed for players as the transfer window draws to a close.

What happens in the next few weeks will define our season.

Last edited:
Kristoffer Peterson has joined Fortuna Dusseldorf for £400k, a £100k loss on what we paid for him last summer. He made 12 appearances for us and spent the second half of the season on loan at Heracles Almelo.

The transfer window closed for International transfers last night at 11pm for both PL and EFL. The PL teams are also unable to transfer players with each other, but are able to transfer players from the EFL, which is potentially bad news for Swansea, with Spurs tight fisted owner Daniel Levy hovering over Joe Rodon, looking for a bargain.
His paltry £7m purported bid for Rodon is a devious tactic designed to unsettle the player first, before pouncing. With Trevor Birch now DOF there, Spurs will be at an advantage, because he will know exactly how we stand with our finances, and how badly we need the money.
The domestic transfer window remains open until 5pm Fri 16/10, so another 10 days for Levy to get his man. Rumour has it that we want £18m for Rodon, which seems too low to me. Surely we should be asking £25m+ for an already International player of such huge potential.