Summer transfer window thread | Page 133 | Vital Football

Summer transfer window thread

The figures are pretty much out in the open. Why shouldn’t we debate them? Or is the whole point of a football forum to not discuss transfer fees for players?

Depending on what you read the figure changes. In Jan the asking price for St Juste and Niakhate was £8m. In May that had changed in some quarters to £12m the reported price for St Juste was £10 plus add ons. Seems reasonable then to start at £8m as the Portuguese did and work up to an agreeable price. Niakhate on interview in March stated the money wasn’t important. Just a factor. The project, the challenge and colleagues were more important. I have read every figure from £8m to £15m being mentioned. Sky Germany have quoted Bild at £10m and Mainz themselves at £15m. It is all white noise. Mainz, Forest, the player and his agent know what has been floated. Even floated prices are all opening gambits in negotiation. All statements have to be seen as part of the bidding process. We are discussing fresh air at present.

No I would have set the price to 40 million with the expectation that they might settle at 30.( and maybe at very worst we might settle for 20) If they offer 7 million I might leak to the press, if I wanted the sale to go ahead at least.

if I want to keep the player I would would just turn down the offer and negotiate with the player over better pay packages etc.

to me they are leaking because they want to try and attract more interest (which therefore isn’t already there) and / or want us to get closer to their asking price ( because they want to sell) it smacks at their being desperate to sell at a good price while not really holding trump cards.

i dont see why a club would leak anything that might spoil a relationship with a wealthy premiership club, id imagine they would want to create a good name based on mutual respect in that sense. for example, talk to the club?
If they spoke, then they all have a realistic idea of the figures right? If thats the case and we went in low, theyd just come back like any professional with a counter offer.
The only reason for a leak (in a derogatory way) would be because we were clear with them that we would not pay anywhere near the amount and therefore the deal was never really on from day one. But even then I dont see them as big enough to want to create a noise

Not at all.

It's a no brainer to get Zinkernagel.

If you want to know why we should get him, ask yourself this; if we get Gibbs-White and Awoniyi, who plays if either get injured?

It would be Lolley, Mighten or Xande Silva.

THAT is why we need to sign Zinkernagel
Exactly. Similar rational on why we need Lowe. He won’t be first choice, but whoever that first choice ends up being we don’t Colback there in the Prem unless both LWBs are injured

I’ve said for a while we should look to spend £6m max on these 2, plus Wallace or Bowler for squad building, so we can sell Lolley and Silva and loan out Mighten

Signing Zinc would be a very good move. He'd be great to have in the squad and we wouldn't have to waste stupid money to get him. He's clearly happy here and believe it or not that can count for so much. Get him in I say.

Lowe? Im not sure about him?
Good to have in the squad I suppose and again he should be available for a reasonable fee. He was out of his depth in the Premier league with Sheffield United and there is a question mark over his long term fitness. Again though he likes it here and wants to join us and Cooper likes him, small little things like that can make a big difference. £6m for Zinc and Lowe? I'd have to say get them in at that price.

Exactly. Similar rational on why we need Lowe. He won’t be first choice, but whoever that first choice ends up being we don’t Colback there in the Prem unless both LWBs are injured

I’ve said for a while we should look to spend £6m max on these 2, plus Wallace or Bowler for squad building, so we can sell Lolley and Silva and loan out Mighten

Depending on who you think in our current squad is good enough to make our named 25 man squad, we need to bring in between ten and fifteen players. Even if we spend £100 million on players, we are going to need a few who are free/loans or at the cheaper end of the scale. If we send £20 million on Gibbs-White and not far short of that on a decent striker, we are going to find our money doesn't go as far as we think. Did Big M imply we will spend all of our £100 million on transfers, or does that include additional salaries too ?

:utv::wahey:
Get the big players who will be guaranteed a start in first 11 first. See how much money is left mid july before filling up 2nd 11 space.
Nothing wrong with that but previous loan players would take no settling in time and some clearly actually like it here. Its a squad game nowadays and last seasons 5 loan players would be great additions to our squad and keep continuity going. The gamble with big name money signings is that they just might not be able to settle here for whatever reason and also could bring with them a disruptive attitude that would be counter productive. However, this is why I just comment on a fan forum and don't manage a professional football club. In Cooper we trust! Bring it on (and preferably starting tomorrow)

If you think Forest are low balling? Lakaku cost Chelsea just short of £100m. Last summer. He wants to go back to Italy. Chelsea wanted £10m for a loan, one year loan. They were offered £5m. Chelsea refused so it was upped to £6.5m then £7. Today it was agreed at £8m plus add ons. Now that is low balling and negotiating.
chelsea after richarlison which is mental

Depending on who you think in our current squad is good enough to make our named 25 man squad, we need to bring in between ten and fifteen players. Even if we spend £100 million on players, we are going to need a few who are free/loans or at the cheaper end of the scale. If we send £20 million on Gibbs-White and not far short of that on a decent striker, we are going to find our money doesn't go as far as we think. Did Big M imply we will spend all of our £100 million on transfers, or does that include additional salaries too ?
he implied wed spend what we could. So if the budget is 100 it counts wages. If its 140 it counts wages :) I imagine we could actually spend 100 tho only just :)
looks like we wont hit the 50k a week average wage, maybe 35k a week average say? thats still 2.5million per player over 20 players which is actually 50 million quid a year!

p.s I suppose the biggest risk we should take wouldnt go over 70 million salary budget, giving us a year of parachute payments should things go pear shaped

Last edited:
:utv::wahey:

Nothing wrong with that but previous loan players would take no settling in time and some clearly actually like it here. Its a squad game nowadays and last seasons 5 loan players would be great additions to our squad and keep continuity going. The gamble with big name money signings is that they just might not be able to settle here for whatever reason and also could bring with them a disruptive attitude that would be counter productive. However, this is why I just comment on a fan forum and don't manage a professional football club. In Cooper we trust! Bring it on (and preferably starting tomorrow)
have to almost go for the entire list from day one, even maybe end up with extra players because your eggs are in different baskets and come off at different points in the window.. ala Spence

dont think the guys in charge of finances right noq have many old habits.
Do/did we only want to manage our money well in the Championship or want that in the Prem too?
The club want a continual improvement over several windows and I expect that to happen. The next window in Jan will come around very quickly this year. Its really so early yet in this one. It could well be most of these stories are nonsense like last jan or it could be that we dont really start to see our fuller squad for another month.
Might as well just chill out and await official stuff realy for a few weeks. Not even sure the number one target Cooper has been anounced yet, let alone half the squad :)
I think you missed the tongue in cheek there. Think we would of gone with a double snikers at least

Fully agree on your thought process - not sure I would pay more than a couple of million on Bowler - he had half a good season but dropped off towards the end. No arguements with Zinc, Lowe & Wallace - would also though Rothwell and O'brien into the mix - could possibly get 5 good squad players for £10-£15m all in - and they could all play in the Championship - following season if it all went wrong - Not that I expect it to

Fully agree on your thought process - not sure I would pay more than a couple of million on Bowler - he had half a good season but dropped off towards the end. No arguements with Zinc, Lowe & Wallace - would also though Rothwell and O'brien into the mix - could possibly get 5 good squad players for £10-£15m all in - and they could all play in the Championship - following season if it all went wrong - Not that I expect it to
I completely agree with this. Not only do we need an improvement in personnel, we need squad players.

Get the big players who will be guaranteed a start in first 11 first. See how much money is left mid july before filling up 2nd 11 space.

I think this needs to be done in parallel - these 'cheaper' players will soon get snapped up by others - we need make sure we don't miss out on players that would happily join us now

Tyrhys Dolan. 20 year old winger at Blackburn. Been linked with us today by two of the clickbait titles. Played much of the season last term, scoring six goals. I think he's slightly taller than Mighten. £2m-£3m quoted.